The Student Room Group

Why is there rivalry between Oxford & Cambridge on TSR?

May be a stupid question, but just wanted to know :smile:

Scroll to see replies

There's no more rivalry between the two on TSR than there is in real life. It's just harmless banter, no one actually takes it seriously, dw :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
There's no more rivalry between the two on TSR than there is in real life. It's just harmless banter, no one actually takes it seriously, dw :tongue:

Aha, fair enough :smile: was just wondering as am interested in applying to one of them in the foreseeable future.
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
Aha, fair enough :smile: was just wondering as am interested in applying to one of them in the foreseeable future.

There's no real rivalry, except for at sporting events (and even then, tiz harmless banter), dw :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

it is like Leicester ( = Cambridge ) & Spurs ( = Oxford ) :h:
Reply 5
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
May be a stupid question, but just wanted to know :smile:

It's banter, yes, but also you do have to decide between one or the other. You can't apply to both. Hence why the banter, to an extent, actually matters. You have a real choice to make.

(Unless you take up playing the organ - potential organ scholars can apply to both).

That said, the 3rd largest employer of Cambridge grads is Oxford. Whereas for Oxford grads, Cambridge is only their 9th largest employer. So it seems not only is Cambridge the better university, they also significantly power the next best university...

(Source: LinkedIn)
Because Cambridge is miles better than Oxford and the Oxford people just can't come to terms with it :yes:

joking. It's just messing around.
Team Cambridge here :biggrin:

It's obviously just a bit of fun because even they know that we're the best :smug:
Because Cam refuses to accept its status as the original poly.
Oxford - the most famous university in the world.

Fenland Polytechnic - er.

You decide.
Original post by the bear
it is like Leicester ( = Cambridge ) & Spurs ( = Oxford ) :h:

I think it's more like Marmite - vs - Toblerone.
Reply 11
Original post by Fullofsurprises

I hate those toblerone spires spikes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
I hate those toblerone <del>spires</del> spikes.

Marmite seems smooth, dark and appealing, but when you take a bite, bleargh.
Jneill
(Unless you take up playing the organ - potential organ scholars can apply to both).

This is so random :lol:
Original post by Fullofsurprises

Cambridge = Mercedes

Oxford = Lada
I think it's taken surprisingly seriously. Lots of university sports teams prioritise varsity over bucks, sometimes to the extent of not turning up to bucks at all. Which will seem absurd to any non-Oxbridge university athletes!
I heard the two meet up in a field once a year and have traditional medieval jousting.

So I guess there 'kinda' is rivalry.
Original post by champ_mc99
I heard the two meet up in a field once a year and have traditional medieval jousting.

So I guess there 'kinda' is rivalry.

each year Oxford has to import loads of American Knights for their team ?

http://whatwouldjackdo.net/images/tak.jpg
Original post by the bear
each year Oxford has to import loads of American Knights for their team ?

http://whatwouldjackdo.net/images/tak.jpg

:gasp:
Well.. why is there a rivalry between the jets and the sharks? :iiam:

But really, while I haven't seen that many threads on it, I'm sure that it is nothing for anyone to get fiercely competitive over. But then, it's natural to feel some sense of pride over your alma mater.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending