The Student Room Group

is an F better than a U at GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheOtherSide.
Seriously, be glad you didn't do it. History's torture.

Unless you're good at essay writing, I guess.

I'm not good at essay writing.
Original post by Kryptonian
I'm not good at essay writing.

Guess it depends on the exam, but History would probably not be for you. :dontknow:
the worst are n or u
then you get d,e and f
and the decent grades a*-c
Reply 23
Original post by RasputinReborn
Honestly, I'd rather a U, because you'd have to declare an F grade on your UCAS form.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can people clarify this? Do you not need to declare a U on the UCAS form?
__
(edited 7 years ago)
They both fail grades you know guys or gals.

As much as I love History, I can't seem to get the darn exam technique, and that's what always faults me, and made me grow to hate the qualification, not the subject.
Original post by geolowiser
Just to clarify, a U is unmarkable or ungradeable, and F is a fail; they both mean the same thing though. In the UK, students at primary and secondary schools typically receive an F, and students in college receive a U. In the states they do not use the U grade as frequently, not did they do it at my unversity.

There may be regional differences I don't know about or even differences between exam boards.

Every single part of this post is wrong, and the poster doesn't know what he is talking about.

GCSE grades go A*, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, U, with A*-C being one level of qualification, D-G a lower level qualification, and U being a fail. There's also an X (for people who don't attend the exam), Q ("marks not available" - it means something's gone wrong somewhere, talk to your exams officer), and A^ ("A with distinction", above A*, only in AQA IGCSE Further Maths). (NB: this all changes for people taking their GCSEs in 2017 onwards: then, the grades will go 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,U, with U bein a fail, 1-4 the D-G qualification, and 5-9 the A*-C one).
Reply 28
Original post by BlueSam3
Every single part of this post is wrong, and the poster doesn't know what he is talking about.

GCSE grades go A*, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, U, with A*-C being one level of qualification, D-G a lower level qualification, and U being a fail. There's also an X (for people who don't attend the exam), Q ("marks not available" - it means something's gone wrong somewhere, talk to your exams officer), and A^ ("A with distinction", above A*, only in AQA IGCSE Further Maths). (NB: this all changes for people taking their GCSEs in 2017 onwards: then, the grades will go 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,U, with U bein a fail, 1-4 the D-G qualification, and 5-9 the A*-C one).

would you say I'd be better to get an X or an F?
Original post by partyomo
would you say I'd be better to get an X or an F?

An F is a qualification. An X is not.
Original post by BlueSam3

Do you know that 4 is a pass. Have you check out how does it work lately?
Original post by TheSpeedyz
Do you know that 4 is a pass. Have you check out how does it work lately?

Erm, yes. Everything in that post is accurate, taken directly from here.

I love History it's my favourite subject and I am at an A* in it mainly because I like it. History is a lot of work, contains a lot of essay writing as well as a lot of memory work. If you put the effort into revising History it's all good but it's not a subject for a person who can't be bothered to put the work in. To be good at History good writing skills are vital as History is literally essay writing.
sorry but both F and U are fails :redface:
try and get a C :smile:
Can people clarify this? Do you not need to declare a U on the UCAS form?

Yeah, I think you have to declare all grades apart from an X.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3538633
Reply 35
Original post by surina16
Yeah, I think you have to declare all grades apart from an X.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3538633

would you still get an X if you've completed 50% of the GCSE, but don't turn up to the other 50%?
Technically they are both classified as a fail.
would you still get an X if you've completed 50% of the GCSE, but don't turn up to the other 50%?

I'm not sure but I don't think so. 50% could be a pass in your subject? Like if you got 100% in those exams I think you could pass (depending on the grade boundaries).
But honestly, idk and I think it is definitely worth turning up to the exam because (no matter how cheesy it sounds) every mark counts - the few marks that you gain by going could push you up a grade :smile:
Practically, anything below a C is basically worthless. No employer or university cares about any grades below a C.

So the moral is; work hard and try to get C+s in everything. (or Bs or As ideally. A lot of unis require B+ in Maths and English)
Reply 39

Original post by Kryptonian
I did it in year 9 then moved schools so could not do it :frown:

Original post by Guls
yeah so much better.

Spoiler

m8 seeing that F on results day turns your mood down,..

Quick Reply

Latest