The Student Room Group

Am I an alcoholic

So Since about november, I've got drunk every weekend, also started getting drunk during the week. I had a proper binge at christmas drinking super cider and vodka, most days, however now I just stick to lager or cider(otherwise I end up doing something stupid or ending up in a fight). So I drink every friday, saturday, and at least 2 other days of the week. I do crave it a lot, though I think that's due to boredom, if I drink a lot my hands will shake throughout the week, and now I do feel **** the day after, plus I'll have bad anxiety and depression. I used to feel much happier drinking but now I find with a few days not drinking I feel happier. It usually helps me socially and is fun, if I am honest. Also I've noticed that sometimes I get bad pain in my chest the day after and stomach, and feel like I don't want to leave my room. It takes me like 10 beers to be "drunk" not proper drunk but I have at least 50 units a week of alcohol, though it's looking at more like 70 recently. My father is an alcoholic, so was his father(he died of it) and his father. Are the stuff that's happening from alcoholism, I am only 17 so I do feel bad about the alcohol the day after as I realize that I want it more often than I should, after about 2-3 days I really want to get drunk lol. Plus I find it helps with emotional issues, so when I am sad or have a reason to celibrate, I will, I will even find a reason.
Reply 1
I am drinking now funnily enough, I've drunk 20 cans in two days and will no doubt be getting drunk tomorrow and saturday
You've seen it up close, so you know what it looks like. You really already know the answer to this. I wish you luck on the recovery.
Reply 3
Original post by JollyCynic
You've seen it up close, so you know what it looks like. You really already know the answer to this. I wish you luck on the recovery.

well tbh, my father doesn't show signs of liver damage i don't think and I didn't have much to do with that side of the family. Only met my grandad once or twice as a kid
Everything in moderation :redface:
Reply 5
Original post by UnoriginalBen
You are an alcoholic. It's going to be tough but please try your hardest to quit drinking. I don't want you to die.

But I won't have nothing to do without it, I will be miserable and unsocial all the time as well, like I was before I started drinking, though that was probably because my as levels went **** despite doing about 4 hours work everyday, pissed me right off it did. I should be going to uni soon, and 2 of my friends are going, and one of them is drunk a lot as well. And If I am honest I don't really want to stop, though I do if that makes sense. I am just worried if I am an alcy or not, which 2 people have said :/ though I suppose asking the question makes me one.
Reply 6
Original post by samina_ay
Everything in moderation :redface:

haha well I was only going to have one last night and that ended up 9 haha, though if I start i don't stop until I run out(aint got no option then) haven't had any work recently either, though I still revise for a2's finish, like I still revise just not as often but I think that's coz no motivation from my as grades.
Original post by Anonymous
haha well I was only going to have one last night and that ended up 9 haha, though if I start i don't stop until I run out(aint got no option then) haven't had any work recently either, though I still revise for a2's finish, like I still revise just not as often but I think that's coz no motivation from my as grades.

I'm like that with food, you get carried away..? Get some help before its too late and you can reverse your habits :biggrin:
Aww - if you do well in A2 it can balance out your AS grades
Reply 8
Original post by UnoriginalBen
Then you need to find something to do. If you're going to uni then they'll be plenty of clubs for you to join but also parties... try to resist the urge to drink. Finding a hobby would really help if you're bored - maybe a sport or instrument. As for grades, if you tried your best then that's all you can do, don't be depressed! You worked hard, be proud of that! No matter what happens, it's never the end of the world - keep pushing forward, work hard and smile. :smile:

tbh I don 't really have any money, I live in the middle of nowhere, and if I am honest I could never be bothered with anything(before I even drunk). I am just worried if these are bad signs for my age, I mean other stuff like not being able to get a girlfriend makes me sad. I mean I don't care if I die like in my 50's or 60's just not any time soon haha
Reply 9
But I won't have nothing to do without it, I will be miserable and unsocial all the time as well, like I was before I started drinking, though that was probably because my as levels went **** despite doing about 4 hours work everyday, pissed me right off it did. I should be going to uni soon, and 2 of my friends are going, and one of them is drunk a lot as well. And If I am honest I don't really want to stop, though I do if that makes sense. I am just worried if I am an alcy or not, which 2 people have said :/ though I suppose asking the question makes me one.

Asking the question doesn't, but if you drink too much, it affects your mood and performance, and you don't want to stop, then you pretty well fit the bill.

The only reason to keep going now is so that you'll have a ready excuse for constantly screwing up.

Oh-- and if you never had much contact with your father and his side of the family, that also ought to tell you something.
Original post by samina_ay
I'm like that with food, you get carried away..? Get some help before its too late and you can reverse your habits :biggrin:
Aww - if you do well in A2 it can balance out your AS grades

a2 is too hard, especially further mathes, I should still get into uni tho I got a BBB offer, however I Think I'll get ABC, i got acc at as. Though my economics teacher left so I may do really bad in one of the a2 units, as I struggle with business economics as it is :/. Though i think even if I got BBC i'd still get in because I firmed them
a2 is too hard, especially further mathes, I should still get into uni tho I got a BBB offer, however I Think I'll get ABC, i got acc at as. Though my economics teacher left so I may do really bad in one of the a2 units, as I struggle with business economics as it is :/. Though i think even if I got BBC i'd still get in because I firmed them

ACC isn't bad at all, i got CDEU at AS and at A2 i got CCE lol
ABC equates to BBB you know (exact same UCAS points), so you're sorted. You're not doing bad at all :smile:
well tbh, my father doesn't show signs of liver damage i don't think and I didn't have much to do with that side of the family. Only met my grandad once or twice as a kid

Oh. Well, it's not medical side-effects that define alcoholism. I'm sorry for making the assumption that you'd seen it up close.

In that case, you've got to go to the definition of alcoholism. Unfortunately, there are a lot of definitions. These range from dependence to whether or not abuse affects your life, such as drinking to the exclusion of social activity or despite repercussions at work (or school) whether that day or subsequently.

I said that you know the answer because you probably do, and I certainly wouldn't want to diagnose you over the Internet, not being qualified to diagnose anything that doesn't have a CPU.

I will say that at your age, you're particularly vulnerable to setting up a life-long addiction. And with your family history, you're particularly vulnerable to developing an addiction to alcohol. You do already know the answer, and you're not going to have a better time in your life to fight it. It's only going to get worse if you don't.
Yeah you should most definitely quit or at least limit it down before it starts to take control of your life.
At the moment you're drinking 4 times a week, keep that up and you'll be in hospital buddy.
I recommend you quit for a little while maybe a month or a few weeks and then after that bring it down to once a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Giving up alcohol as a whole is probably extremely hard and your body would suffer a lot of side effects. I'd suggest maybe drinking or eating something else? Like find a drink that you like because its a lot easier to find a substitute rather than dropping it all together?? BUt then again ,even though you aren't yet suffering the medical side effects yet, it's best to just cut down as much as possible. You're only 17 and drinking a truck load of alcohol is never going to turn out well, be it education, mental or physical health
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest