The Student Room Group

Uni advice desperately NEEDED!

Okay, I'm Currently in year 11 and I can't wait for my A-Levels to really 'kick in'. I'm studying; Law, History, Sociology and Photography. I really do have my heart set on Cambridge Uni to study LAW... I'm just really stuck and rather over whelmed! any advice UNI related will be much appreciated! Also i've been doing plenty of research to do with studying Law and Cambridge University etc, and I've shortlisted some of the Cambridge Colleges that really Apeal to me; Kings College, Queens College, Jesus College, St Johns College and Trinity College. If any of you have any advice or recommendations about their College i would love to hear it!

Thank you for taking the time to read this!
Reply 1
Hello, I am currently in year ten - wanting to study law at either Cambridge or Oxford also. Maybe we can share tips/advice? During this holiday I have been reading a couple of law books - trying to get a feel for the subject :smile: I have wanted to do law at Oxbridge ever since I was 8 years old. Let's just hope that I get high enough grades to do it :smile: good luck with your GCSEs btw!
Reply 2
Original post by Jade.andrews2
Okay, I'm Currently in year 11 and I can't wait for my A-Levels to really 'kick in'. I'm studying; Law, History, Sociology and Photography. I really do have my heart set on Cambridge Uni to study LAW... I'm just really stuck and rather over whelmed! any advice UNI related will be much appreciated! Also i've been doing plenty of research to do with studying Law and Cambridge University etc, and I've shortlisted some of the Cambridge Colleges that really Apeal to me; Kings College, Queens College, Jesus College, St Johns College and Trinity College. If any of you have any advice or recommendations about their College i would love to hear it!

Doing A-Levels in Year 11? Anyway, I would say don't worry too much at this early stage. Get some early reading in if you want, but making sure you get good grades is more important than anything else.

The only thing I would recommend is potentially changing your A-Level Subjects. Most top unis are sticklers for 'facilitating' or 'hard' subjects i.e. less modern and more traditional ones. While one (or maybe even two) out of four A levels, or even one out of three, would be ok as non-traditional subjects, I'm unsure how well your application would be received with your current subjects - in particular photography and law. Ironically, many unis actually don't like students to study law before university. Photography is also seen as 'soft'. History is a very good subject for Law, and sociology is debatable - I'm not really too sure on it to be honest - although Cambridge see it as a 'limiting' subject. Basically, I would definitely swap two of Photography, Law, or Sociology out for something else if you're heart is really set on Cambridge - maybe English Lit and a science?

In saying this, if you won't do well in any other subjects, it's better to have good grades in 'soft' subjects, rather than poor grades in other ones.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Topo15
Doing A-Levels in Year 11? Anyway, I would say don't worry too much at this early stage. Get some early reading in if you want, but making sure you get good grades is more important than anything else.

The only thing I would recommend is potentially changing your A-Level Subjects. Most top unis are sticklers for 'facilitating' or 'hard' subjects i.e. less modern and more traditional ones. While one (or maybe even two) out of four A levels, or even one out of three, would be ok as non-traditional subjects, I'm unsure how well your application would be received with your current subjects - in particular photography and law. Ironically, many unis actually don't like students to study law before university. Photography is also seen as 'soft'. History is a very good subject for Law, and sociology is debatable - I'm not really too sure on it to be honest - although Cambridge see it as a 'limiting' subject. Basically, I would definitely swap two of Photography, Law, or Sociology out for something else if you're heart is really set on Cambridge - maybe English Lit and a science?

In saying this, if you won't do well in any other subjects, it's better to have good grades in 'soft' subjects, rather than poor grades in other ones.

Thank you so much for your help! oh sorry i didnt make that clear; im finishing my GCSE's in year 11, and taking A-Levels in years 12 & 13.
Reply 4
Thank you so much for your help! oh sorry i didnt make that clear; im finishing my GCSE's in year 11, and taking A-Levels in years 12 & 13.

No problem - good luck!
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
Hello, I am currently in year ten - wanting to study law at either Cambridge or Oxford also. Maybe we can share tips/advice? During this holiday I have been reading a couple of law books - trying to get a feel for the subject :smile: I have wanted to do law at Oxbridge ever since I was 8 years old. Let's just hope that I get high enough grades to do it :smile: good luck with your GCSEs btw!

Same, it's my dream! good luck for all your approaching GCSE's.
Reply 6
Okay, I'm Currently in year 11 and I can't wait for my A-Levels to really 'kick in'. I'm studying; Law, History, Sociology and Photography. I really do have my heart set on Cambridge Uni to study LAW...

You might like to have a read of this before finalising your A-level choices.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/subjectmatters.pdf

And, because Trinity is on your shortlist, also look at this
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/ug/apply/a-level-combinations

To be clear, do Photography if you enjoy it - it's fine as a 4th A-level (or AS), "even" for Trinity. But I'd suggest changing Law for a facilitating subject. Sociology is fine as a 3rd A-level.
(edited 7 years ago)
I haven't read the other replies to this, but if I were you I would change your A Level choices if you wanted to get into Cambridge. Firstly, unis don't like Law at all - if you're doing law they'd prefer you not to have it. Better off doing English Lit and that showcases your argument skills, and you could get some work experience in a law firm. Also, definitely don't do Photography because that's also a soft subject. Sociology isn't ideal either because it's also quite soft - I currently study it as my easy subject and I did English Lit, History and Philosophy. I know it sounds harsh but as the admissions are already so difficult, even if you had 4 As, your subject choice is kind of what sets you aside from everyone else and it doesn't make you look great :frown: sorry if this sounds harsh but Cambridge is brutal itself with applications
[QUOTE="jneill;65408797"]You might like to have a read of this before finalising your A-level choices.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/subjectmatters.pdf

And, because Trinity is on your shortlist, also look at this
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/ug/apply/a-level-combinations

To be clear, do Photography if you enjoy it - it's fine as a 4th A-level (or AS), "even" for Trinity. But I'd suggest changing Law for a facilitating subject. Sociology is fine as a 3rd A-level.[/QUOTE

Ahh thank you, This is really interesting!
Original post by elizahughes
I haven't read the other replies to this, but if I were you I would change your A Level choices if you wanted to get into Cambridge. Firstly, unis don't like Law at all - if you're doing law they'd prefer you not to have it. Better off doing English Lit and that showcases your argument skills, and you could get some work experience in a law firm. Also, definitely don't do Photography because that's also a soft subject. Sociology isn't ideal either because it's also quite soft - I currently study it as my easy subject and I did English Lit, History and Philosophy. I know it sounds harsh but as the admissions are already so difficult, even if you had 4 As, your subject choice is kind of what sets you aside from everyone else and it doesn't make you look great :frown: sorry if this sounds harsh but Cambridge is brutal itself with applications

Thank you so much! I think I might change Sociology for Englihs Lit :-)
Reply 10
Thank you so much! I think I might change Sociology for Englihs Lit :-)

I think you'd be better keeping sociology and swapping EngLit for Law. Law A-level isn't much help for the degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those A level choices might be an obstacle when it comes to applying. it may be wise to replace Law and Photography with facilitating subjects, eg lit, history, maths, sciences etc. When the pool of applicants is so large and the amount of offers so few, you don't want to be disadvantaged because of your A level choices.
for Law better history-politics-law-1 language

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending