The Student Room Group

Will a B affect my chances to get into a russel group uni

I think I will achieve 3 A's and 1 B at AS - the B has nothing to do with the course I want to do- I'm not sure if it could be more different - but would this affect getting into Russell group unisIe would it be less likely for me to get an offer

Scroll to see replies

No.
What's the requirements for the course you want?
Original post by ineedA
I think I will achieve 3 A's and 1 B at AS - the B has nothing to do with the course I want to do- I'm not sure if it could be more different - but would this affect getting into Russell group unisIe would it be less likely for me to get an offer

Not at all. I got 3A 1B and got 4 offers, all from Russell groups (I'm going Warwick hopefully) :smile:
No, it won't matter unless the university specifies that you get an A
Reply 5
Original post by kelvin1338
Not at all. I got 3A 1B and got 4 offers, all from Russell groups (I'm going Warwick hopefully) :smile:

One of my options , what are you going to study??
Depends on which uni obviously, some RG uni's have higher entry requirements than others :lol:
Reply 7
I want you to update this thread on results day. Let us know how it played out, its always the ones worrying over a B grade that end up doing poorly.
Reply 8
Original post by Yua
I want you to update this thread on results day. Let us know how it played out, its always the ones worrying over a B grade that end up doing poorly.
wow thanks
Reply 9
Original post by ineedA
wow thanks

Dunno what that person is talking about - ignore that comment.

Don't overestimate how hard it is to get offers from RG universities - obviously for some courses at certain universities it can be more demanding. You haven't mentioned anything specific, but generally the grades you're talking about are more than enough.
No it wont dw:smile: i got a good offer with a C grade so i doubt a B grade will tbh
UCAS predictions are usually one grade higher so you'll be predicted AAA at least, or AAAA if you do four - and it's likely you'll be predicted an A* with such good grades. Honestly, universities never look at the AS you drop. I go to one of the best sixth forms in England and so many people dropped their AS to concentrate on the three subjects they're doing at A2, and all got into Russell Groups. If you're really that worried there's no harm in retaking but you really don't need to :smile:
Nah don't worry about it at all :smile: a B in a 4th/5th a level really doesn't matter that much, my friend got 4As and a B and has an offer from Oxford now so you're cool, just focus on getting the As! (you may be surprised, too, I was excepting like 3 As and 2 Bs and got 5As soooooo.... don't give up hope yet!)

Best of luck with your remaining exams!! :biggrin:
nope. source- I got into Sheffield uni for law with BBB
Reply 14
Original post by TajwarC
Dunno what that person is talking about - ignore that comment.

Don't overestimate how hard it is to get offers from RG universities - obviously for some courses at certain universities it can be more demanding. You haven't mentioned anything specific, but generally the grades you're talking about are more than enough.

If what I said was too hard for you to understand I can easily clarify.
No. I got all my offers with those grades. Don't overthink it, you're fine.
Got ABB and got into Kings College London so you'll be fine
Reply 17
Just to clarify, I'm hoping to study economics, and the b I believe will be in biology
Original post by ineedA

I got 2 As and 2 Bs and got into 3 Russell Group universities (one of them twice), and got an interview from a fourth one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No it won't effect you at all, only if it's Cambridge since they look for UMS averages and obviously it will have a negative effect on that (although, I think it might just be your top three subjects so you could be okay still?)

I know someone who got into Oxford with AABC at AS for PPE, AABB for Psychology and AAAB for Medicine so if it's good enough for them I imagine it'll be fine for everywhere else too :smile:

Quick Reply