The Student Room Group

Will I be able to get a 2:1?

Hi there, I am just finishing University and I was wondering if I could get some help in figuring out what my overall score would be.

The second year is worth 40% and the final year is worth 60%.

In my second year; 6 modules I received:

47 + 40 + 100 - this was one module that included three assignments: in order the percentage weighting is 35%, 60%, 5%.
60 + 62 - this was one module that included two assignments 50% weighting for each assignment.
63 + 58 - this was one module that included two assignments 50% weighting for each assignment.
In our second year we get to drop one low grade. So it would have to be the 40.

In my final year 6 modules I received:

60, 53, 58, 60, 62, 62.

60% is a 2:1.
70% is a first.

I really would just like to aim for the 2:1.

Someone help me in figuring this out please? Thank you so much.

Just adding this extra bit of information for a little more help.

Credit worth:
First year: (isn't included in the final mark)
7 out of 8 modules were worth 15 credits.
No.8 was worth 30 credits.

Second year:
6 out of 6 modules were worth 20 credits.

Third year:
6 out of 6 modules are worth 20 credits. Although the final transcript is not out yet and I think perhaps the Dissertation module is worth two modules so it must be worth more credits. 40 credits all together. Thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by MinJae
Hi there, I am just finishing University and I was wondering if I could get some help in figuring out what my overall score would be.

The second year is worth 40% and the final year is worth 60%.

In my second year I received:

47, 40, 100, 40, 60, 60, 62, 40, 63, 58

In my final year I recieved:

60, 53, 58, 60, 62, 62.

60% is a 2:1.
70% is a first.

I really would just like to aim for the 2:1.

Someone help me in figuring this out please? Thank you so much.

It depends how each individual module is weighted. Some are worth more than others in terms of weighting.
If they are all equally weighted, with 1st year being 40%, 2nd 60%, then you'd have an average of 58.2%

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by celloel
It depends how each individual module is weighted. Some are worth more than others in terms of weighting.
If they are all equally weighted, with 1st year being 40%, 2nd 60%, then you'd have an average of 58.2%

Spoiler

Thank you so much for replying!

I assume it is equal weighting. I'm not entirely sure.
But if it makes a difference, there's a 120 credit system at my University. I'm not sure what that is :/ does it make a difference to my overall score?

but if I average a 58.2, it means I get a 2:2, right? That's not what I wanted.
Original post by MinJae
Thank you so much for replying!

I assume it is equal weighting. I'm not entirely sure.
But if it makes a difference, there's a 120 credit system at my University. I'm not sure what that is :/ does it make a difference to my overall score?

but if I average a 58.2, it means I get a 2:2, right? That's not what I wanted.

It's not possible to give you a definitive answer until you are sure. It will be in your university's degree regulations.
I will never understand how someone can get to the end of their third year at a university and not know how many credits their courses are worth.
Reply 5
Original post by GoingToBurst
I will never understand how someone can get to the end of their third year at a university and not know how many credits their courses are worth.

First year:

Second year:

Third year:
6 out of 6 modules are worth 20 credits. Although the final transcript is not out yet and I think perhaps the Dissertation module is worth two modules so it must be worth more credits. 40 credits.

Does this help make answering my question a little easier? And I didn't realise that the credit system was needed to help answer the question otherwise I would have put it in. I am sorry.
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
It's not possible to give you a definitive answer until you are sure. It will be in your university's degree regulations.

Thank you so much, I've revised my question by adding the module credit weighting; perhaps it can help?

First year: (not included in final marks)

Second year: worth 40%

Third year: worth 60%
6 out of 6 modules are worth 20 credits. Although the final transcript is not out yet and I think perhaps the Dissertation module is worth two modules so it must be worth more credits. 40 credits.
Reply 7
Original post by MinJae
First year:

Second year:

Third year:

Does this help make answering my question a little easier? And I didn't realise that the credit system was needed to help answer the question otherwise I would have put it in. I am sorry.

No, it makes it even harder, because you told us 9 marks for year 2 but now you say there are only 6 modules.

Sorry, but how can you not have figured out the grading system of your uni after three years?
Reply 8
Original post by inhuman
No, it makes it even harder, because you told us 9 marks for year 2 but now you say there are only 6 modules.

Sorry, but how can you not have figured out the grading system of your uni after three years?

One module included three assignments. Two other assignments included two assignments.
I sincerely am very very sorry, but that is why I asked the question here. Hoping for some help but I only seemed to feel humiliated and embarrassed. I am sorry, I didn't know. I should've specified.
Reply 9
Original post by MinJae
One module included three assignments. Two other assignments included two assignments.
I sincerely am very very sorry, but that is why I asked the question here. Hoping for some help but I only seemed to feel humiliated and embarrassed. I am sorry, I didn't know. I should've specified.

Hm, well given that your overall average is below 60% it looks like you just missed it :frown:

If you list each module and how it was graded we could maybe give an answer.
Reply 10
Original post by inhuman
Hm, well given that your overall average is below 60% it looks like you just missed it :frown:

If you list each module and how it was graded we could maybe give an answer.

Thank you very much for your help, and I truly am sorry if I only seem to be frustrating everyone who is trying to help. I added a little extra information to the question if it is useful, otherwise please - don't feel obliged to answer. I can always wait until the final transcript is out and we get a little more information from my University. It's not very good when it comes to delivering relevant information to their students.

Thank you anyway. I appreciate it very much.
Original post by MinJae

Stop beating yourself up and find the answers. Alternatively, wait until your final grade is declared.
Reply 12
Stop beating yourself up and find the answers. Alternatively, wait until your final grade is declared.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I'm working on it! :colondollar:
Original post by MinJae
I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I'm working on it! :colondollar:

Which university?
Reply 14
Which university?

Newman University. In Bartley Green, Birmingham.
I don't think it was a good choice to go if I'm honest. Depression, anxiety and University do not mix well.

I figured it out, I literally missed the 2:1 mark. Got a 58% overall. But that's because you can take away one low grade if you want to. I don't think I want to. Perhaps I'll get lucky and the University will figure it out a different way.
Reply 15
Thank very much for you help everyone, if you're still watching. I appreciate it so so much. I think I might end up getting a 2:2. 58% overall.
I apologise if I frustrated any of you, but thank you for taking the time out to help me. I wish you all luck. And here's hoping I make it to graduation - not exactly High School Musical but it will have to do.

Thank you again. :smile:
Original post by MinJae
Newman University. In Bartley Green, Birmingham.
I don't think it was a good choice to go if I'm honest. Depression, anxiety and University do not mix well.

I figured it out, I literally missed the 2:1 mark. Got a 58% overall. But that's because you can take away one low grade if you want to. I don't think I want to. Perhaps I'll get lucky and the University will figure it out a different way.

http://www.newman.ac.uk/files/w3/policies/pdf/Student%20Handbook%202015-16.pdf?q=284

Does the first paragraph on page 39 not mean you will get a 2.1?
Reply 17
http://www.newman.ac.uk/files/w3/policies/pdf/Student%20Handbook%202015-16.pdf?q=284

Does the first paragraph on page 39 not mean you will get a 2.1?

Oh My God, you went through all that trouble just for me? Please! You didn't have to. I feel terrible, I'm so sorry. I should've done that too - it didn't occur to me, I'm sorry - my mind is a bit all over the place right now.

For both years combined my average mark is 58%. Half of which are 60% marks that I got for assignments, including my dissertation. So... does this mean... I do get the 2:1?! Does this mean I get it? It does. It does!

Oh my God. So wait... I do? I do. I do, don't I?

You didn't have to do this! You just didn't have to. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! :h: :h: I think I'm going to cry..
Original post by MinJae
Oh My God, you went through all that trouble just for me? Please! You didn't have to. I feel terrible, I'm so sorry. I should've done that too - it didn't occur to me, I'm sorry - my mind is a bit all over the place right now.

For both years combined my average mark is 58%. Half of which are 60% marks that I got for assignments, including my dissertation. So... does this mean... I do get the 2:1?! Does this mean I get it? It does. It does!

Oh my God. So wait... I do? I do. I do, don't I?

You didn't have to do this! You just didn't have to. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! :h: :h: I think I'm going to cry..

It only took 5 minutes. You appear to qualify for a 2.1 because you have a year 2/3 average of at least 55%, and 7 of your 12 modules with a mark of 60% or above. Official confirmation awaits, of course...
which result was the dissertation?

Ok I had a look as well, not as fast as ageshallnot.

I got the average % to be 56.856, so 57%.

But then ageshallnot kindly posted the rules and they are a bit crazy imo.
P39
Consideration Rule

For students achieving an average of at least 55% at Levels 5 and 6 overall, and with half of all marks at these two levels at 60% or above an upper second class award (2:1) will be awarded.

That would put you high enough to come under the rule (57%) and then you had 7 of 11 modules (not counting of dissertation was double) at 60% or above, which means you would get a 2:1. Dont hold me to that, but it tallies with ageshallnot.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest