The Student Room Group

I need to move on but it hurts too much

I broke up with my ex about 6 months ago, my mum hated him and didn't want me to see him, but I was in love with him and we've carried on talking up until now. After exams I was going to see him but now he tells me he can't be bothered and we've argued a lot recently which really hurts. I feel like I can't move on even though I know he treats me really bad and makes me feel hurt a lot of the time. I can't talk to my family about it because they don't know i'm still talking to him, but I can't eat and I find myself crying all the time. He's stopped talking to me now so he's gone and i need to learn to accept it but I don't know how to deal with this on my own? I feel like i still love him and i find myself waiting for him to talk to me again but i can't live like this anymore. Any advice? I hate that it's come to a post like this but i really don't know how to deal with this :')

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieRx
I broke up with my ex about 6 months ago, my mum hated him and didn't want me to see him, but I was in love with him and we've carried on talking up until now. After exams I was going to see him but now he tells me he can't be bothered and we've argued a lot recently which really hurts. I feel like I can't move on even though I know he treats me really bad and makes me feel hurt a lot of the time. I can't talk to my family about it because they don't know i'm still talking to him, but I can't eat and I find myself crying all the time. He's stopped talking to me now so he's gone and i need to learn to accept it but I don't know how to deal with this on my own? I feel like i still love him and i find myself waiting for him to talk to me again but i can't live like this anymore. Any advice? I hate that it's come to a post like this but i really don't know how to deal with this :':wink:

:hugs: I know how you feel, it's not much fun.

It's good that he's not talking to you anymore - you have to block him out of your life. Delete his number, delete any messages, gifts. letters.. everything. Only then can you slowly start to get over him.

It takes time, but you eventually get bored of hanging around. So focus on exams, do the best you can, enjoy your summer and I would be surprised if you were still thinking about him after August this year.
Maybe you should of listened to your mum. Mum knows best.
Reply 3
I'm sorry.:frown:

Do you feel like you have friends you could talk to about this?
Break-ups will never get any easier. They hurt.

Lets look at the facts.
1) It was 6 months ago.
2) Family didn't like him, and you're currently hiding that you're talking to him - sounds like trouble.
3) He can't be bothered to see you, argues with you and treats you bad. - not worth your time)
4) The situation is distressing you and starting to affect your appetite/mental state during exam period.

Number 3 and 4 are the major ones here. Just take a minute to think about how he's treating you and how it's making you feel and behave (not eating/crying).

Why are you allowing yourself to suffer with this ****? You're worth more. Do you really want to love someone who treats you like crap? You're potentially jeopardising your future for him during your exams.

The first step is to stop him from ruining your recovery. Block/remove him from social media. You're moving on. You need to take your negative feelings and do something productive with it. Whenever you feel like crying, go for a run. When you feel yourself waiting for him to text, listen to some music or read some revision notes. When you feel like texting him, text a friend or get your feelings written down - maybe an anonymous tumblr? When you feel like talking to him, write it on tumblr instead.
(edited 7 years ago)
Heya, first of all I want to say you're strong; you'll get through this. I have (or currently, I'm trying to) and hell I ain't strong XD I'm going through the exact same thing at the moment, me and my ex broke up about a month ago and typically, it was realllll 'complicated'. The relationship was amazing at times, and at others I'd never been made to feel more worthless.

Regardless of what this guy did to me I still kinda have feelings for him, and that sucks. But I know that as much as I think I love him, he's no good for me. Moving on is the hardest part but trust me, you got this. I can relate to everything you said in this post and I'm currently going through the same, and things will get easier, and one day you'll wake up and he'll be the last thing on your mind. One day you'll find that person who makes you happy no matter what, you just gotta look forward to that day.

I talk from experience and I do know how you feel, I promise you that. I had no one to talk to during the toughest parts of the breakup, and still don't...but now things are slowly getting a little easier.

If you want to PM me to talk about it (and this goes for anyone else in the same situation to) feel free to do so, I'm always here to listen and offer advice if you want it <3

Head up <3

Posted from TSR Mobile
I broke up with my ex about 6 months ago, my mum hated him and didn't want me to see him, but I was in love with him and we've carried on talking up until now. After exams I was going to see him but now he tells me he can't be bothered and we've argued a lot recently which really hurts. I feel like I can't move on even though I know he treats me really bad and makes me feel hurt a lot of the time. I can't talk to my family about it because they don't know i'm still talking to him, but I can't eat and I find myself crying all the time. He's stopped talking to me now so he's gone and i need to learn to accept it but I don't know how to deal with this on my own? I feel like i still love him and i find myself waiting for him to talk to me again but i can't live like this anymore. Any advice? I hate that it's come to a post like this but i really don't know how to deal with this :':wink:

i understand you so much, im going through a very similar situation right now and nearly everything you said apples to my situation too so you aren't alone!!
Its such a horrible situation and im so sorry but you cant change it. i learnt that after months of trying and you realise that its been long enough, theres only so much you can do honey. As for the eating and crying, im still going through that phase but what helps is to spend more time with your friends. Just try and keep distracted as often as you can. Its so hard i totally understand but think of it this way, each day you're a step closer to being happier and okay.
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
:hugs: I know how you feel, it's not much fun.

It's good that he's not talking to you anymore - you have to block him out of your life. Delete his number, delete any messages, gifts. letters.. everything. Only then can you slowly start to get over him.

It takes time, but you eventually get bored of hanging around. So focus on exams, do the best you can, enjoy your summer and I would be surprised if you were still thinking about him after August this year.

Okay, thank you so much!
Reply 8
Original post by BWV1007
I'm sorry.:frown:

Do you feel like you have friends you could talk to about this?

I can but they don't really understand because they never met him since i moved schools :/
Reply 9
Me too :'( He was my first boyfriend too and I think that's what makes this harder for us both as we've never experienced anything like this before :frown: I hope you're okay and please stay strong, we just need to try our very hardest <3

How does he treat you bad?
And how long were you with him?
Reply 11
Original post by Findlay6
Break-ups will never get any easier. They hurt.

Lets look at the facts.
1) It was 6 months ago.
2) Family didn't like him, and you're currently hiding that you're talking to him - sounds like trouble.
3) He can't be bothered to see you, argues with you and treats you bad. - not worth your time)
4) The situation is distressing you and starting to affect your appetite/mental state during exam period.

Number 3 and 4 are the major ones here. Just take a minute to think about how he's treating you and how it's making you feel and behave (not eating/crying).

Why are you allowing yourself to suffer with this ****? You're worth more. Do you really want to love someone who treats you like crap? You're potentially jeopardising your future for him during your exams.

The first step is to stop him from ruining your recovery. Block/remove him from social media. You're moving on. You need to take your negative feelings and do something productive with it. Whenever you feel like crying, go for a run. When you feel yourself waiting for him to text, listen to some music or read some revision notes. When you feel like texting him, text a friend or get your feelings written down - maybe an anonymous tumblr? When you feel like talking to him, write it on tumblr instead.

Wow thank you so much, this has made me look at the situation a lot differently! I will definitely try these things and just get through exams. After that I will start to make changes in my life and properly move on. Thanks again for getting back to me, it means a lot
Reply 12
Original post by xMiakatx
Heya, first of all I want to say you're strong; you'll get through this. I have (or currently, I'm trying to) and hell I ain't strong XD I'm going through the exact same thing at the moment, me and my ex broke up about a month ago and typically, it was realllll 'complicated'. The relationship was amazing at times, and at others I'd never been made to feel more worthless.

Regardless of what this guy did to me I still kinda have feelings for him, and that sucks. But I know that as much as I think I love him, he's no good for me. Moving on is the hardest part but trust me, you got this. I can relate to everything you said in this post and I'm currently going through the same, and things will get easier, and one day you'll wake up and he'll be the last thing on your mind. One day you'll find that person who makes you happy no matter what, you just gotta look forward to that day.

I talk from experience and I do know how you feel, I promise you that. I had no one to talk to during the toughest parts of the breakup, and still don't...but now things are slowly getting a little easier.

If you want to PM me to talk about it (and this goes for anyone else in the same situation to) feel free to do so, I'm always here to listen and offer advice if you want it <3

Head up <3

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad things are starting to get better for you and thank you so much for replying <3 I suppose when we love someone we try to ignore the negatives and that really isn't good or healthy. I will really try to move past this, and I wish you the very best too <3
Original post by student.feed
Maybe you should of listened to your mum. Mum knows best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTJvlsHlSpo:biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by JokesOnYoo
How does he treat you bad?
And how long were you with him?

We saw each other unofficially for about 3 months until my mum accepted that we were together, then we were together properly for just over a month but we had an argument which made her hate him more so when we'd fixed things i wasn't allowed to see him again... So putting a time-frame if pretty hard as it just sort of carried on too long afterwards i guess :/

The reason why we broke up was because he tried to pressure me into sending him pictures and was always talking about sleeping with me. When i'd say no or that i wasn't ready he used to make fun of me and call me boring... But more recently he just treats me unfairly by swearing at me or being rude and just generally hurting me and making me feel unimportant..
We saw each other unofficially for about 3 months until my mum accepted that we were together, then we were together properly for just over a month but we had an argument which made her hate him more so when we'd fixed things i wasn't allowed to see him again... So putting a time-frame if pretty hard as it just sort of carried on too long afterwards i guess :/

The reason why we broke up was because he tried to pressure me into sending him pictures and was always talking about sleeping with me. When i'd say no or that i wasn't ready he used to make fun of me and call me boring... But more recently he just treats me unfairly by swearing at me or being rude and just generally hurting me and making me feel unimportant..

What a whiny little *excuse my french* bitch, find yourself a man.
How old are you out of curiosity?
He doesn't care about you anymore, so you have no reason to care about him. Your parents didn't like him so they must have sensed that something was wrong. Forget about him and concentrate on enjoying your life. Another guy will come along at some point. Relationships come and go, I must have had about 10 relationships now that didn't work out. I've just split up with number 10 lol.
Reply 17
Original post by JokesOnYoo
What a whiny little *excuse my french* bitch, find yourself a man.
How old are you out of curiosity?

To be honest, just typing what he does on here is making me realise he is just that :') I'm 17
Reply 18
Original post by Powersymphonia
He doesn't care about you anymore, so you have no reason to care about him. Your parents didn't like him so they must have sensed that something was wrong. Forget about him and concentrate on enjoying your life. Another guy will come along at some point. Relationships come and go, I must have had about 10 relationships now that didn't work out. I've just split up with number 10 lol.

Yeah you're right, no point chasing after someone who won't chase me right?
Out of curiosity (and i don't mean to sound rude or anything), do you get used to how much it hurts in a breakup? Like at the moment i'm barely holding on but does it always feel like this? Will I get used to letting people go as i get older because right now i never ever want to experience this again :')
Yeah you're right, no point chasing after someone who won't chase me right?
Out of curiosity (and i don't mean to sound rude or anything), do you get used to how much it hurts in a breakup? Like at the moment i'm barely holding on but does it always feel like this? Will I get used to letting people go as i get older because right now i never ever want to experience this again :')

Yes, I'm 29 dear, and they do get easier, especially when you have had as many as I've had. Sometimes it is still hard, when you've been dumped by someone you really thought you had something special with, but breaking up is a part of life. Just remember that some people have to go through really difficult divorces and have children to think about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending