The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Maths - Bearings/Sine/Cosine Question

Hey, could someone please do the question that I attached, so that I know if I got the right answer?

I done the question quite quickly (probably a bad idea) and I didn't look at sine / cosine rules for a while, so I'm not sure if I got it right but I got an answer of 5.4 km (to 1 d.p.).

(This question is 5 marks)

Thanks!

The question is from the Autumn 2015 (December) official mock paper that Edexcel make for maths, so I don't have the mark scheme :/

EDIT: The answer is 6.3 km
Hamza gave the mark schemes to the calculator Autumn 2015 mock and Spring 2016 mock in the posts below, thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you have a link to the paper?
Original post by Wazm_

It's not online, Edexcel gives it to teachers :/
Reply 3
Original post by ScrewTheExams
It's not online, Edexcel gives it to teachers :/
Please can you take pictures of some of the hard questions.
Reply 4
Hello, will have a look at this in the morning and will solve it :smile: Sorry, my brain doesn't function very well in regards to maths at midnight! :h:
Hey, could someone please do the question that I attached, so that I know if I got the right answer?

I done the question quite quickly (probably a bad idea) and I didn't look at sine / cosine rules for a while, so I'm not sure if I got it right but I got an answer of 5.4 km (to 1 d.p.).

Thanks!

The question is from the Autumn 2015 (December) official mock paper that Edexcel make for maths, so I don't have the mark scheme :/
I have the mark scheme, it may not be too clear to understand, but if you're good with all these topics, it shouldn't be too hard to get your head around this question.:smile:

Here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0NHL46meQP_dFYtbGFNSmg3WlE/view?usp=sharing
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wazm_

Well I lost the last 4 questions for the Non-Calculator mock, but I remember the topics:

Q28 - Vectors - Expressing (4 marks)
Q27 - Circle Theorems - Sectors (5 marks)
Q26 - Changing the subject - x on both sides (4 marks)
Q25 - idk

Calculator paper
Q25 - Completing the square (x^2-8x+6 written as (x-p)^2+q, and minimum point) (3 mark + 1 mark = 4)
Q24 - Upper and lower bounds (3 marks)
Q23 - Proportionality (y is inversely proportional to x) - Find a formula (3 marks)
Q22 - This bearings question (5 marks)
Q21 - Circle Theorems (3 marks)
Q20 - Histograms (5 marks) - Finding the total, not given the frequency density - 5 marks

What's weird is that across both papers there were 3 circle theorems questions and 2 exterior / interior angles in polygons, and tree diagrams + probability was put as question 16 out of 28, and f(x) tranformation graphs was question 20 and 21 out of 28.

Edexcel also made a second mock for Spring 2016 and it had a question on multiplying fractions (like the one in our exam), so some of the questions are similar in the actual exams, and topics.

I'm not sure what questions you would like, but I can't take all of them, and not today - sorry.
Original post by Wazm_

Here is the histograms question though, I took the picture earlier.

(It's 5 marks)
Original post by hamza772000
I have the mark scheme, it may not be too clear to understand, but if you're good with all these topics, it shouldn't be too hard to get your head around this question.:smile:

Here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0NHL46meQP_dFYtbGFNSmg3WlE/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!! Do you have the Non-Calculator mark scheme, or the mark scheme for the Spring 2016 mock?

Much appreciated :smile:
Reply 9

(This question is 5 marks)

Thanks!

I got 6.2km but I think it's wrong lmao
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks!! Do you have the Non-Calculator mark scheme, or the mark scheme for the Spring 2016 mock?

Much appreciated :smile:
Yeah Spring 2016 mock:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0NHL46meQP_ME1rSUxNMjZKYnM/view?usp=sharing
Reply 12
Does anyone have a link to the official 2H Autumn Mock Paper 2015 and 2H Spring 2016?
Original post by surina16
I got 9.4km but I think it's wrong lmao

:biggrin: Someone gave the mark scheme in a previous post, and it's 6.3 km :/
I got 6.2km but I think it's wrong lmao
That's correct.:smile:
:biggrin: Someone gave the mark scheme in a previous post, and it's 6.3 km :/

Sorry I edited the post because I typed in the wrong number from my scrap of paper :lol:
I got 6.2 :/
That's correct.:smile:

Oh great thanks :smile:
Original post by Wazm_
nope, sorry.:s-smilie:

Thanks!!

Do you also happen to have the non-calculator mark schemes for both of the mocks? :biggrin:

They have some useful topics, especially towards the end.
Oh great thanks :smile:
No problem.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending