The Student Room Group

Muslims: Would you marry a non muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
So many muslim men STILL do not treat their wives well. Also do not call her opinions or reasons 'silly'.

youre very right in my opinion, thanks for backing me up:smile:
Original post by 30.10.12
I

hi there, I strongly disagree with your opinion. I am a muslim woman and would much rather marry a non muslim because quite frankly I have seen the way SOME muslim men treat thei wives and I think it is disgusting. that's my opinion anyways

lol
Original post by Kraixo
lol

What's so funny? Please share...
that's is not the only reason. It is one of the main reasons though because pretty much every muslim man I know does not treat their wife the way they should . But obviously there are also other reasons behind my opinion but it is the main reason. Likewise I do not believe in some of the beliefs that Muslims have.

Can I what their ethnicity is?
Reply 44
that's is not the only reason. It is one of the main reasons though because pretty much every muslim man I know does not treat their wife the way they should . But obviously there are also other reasons behind my opinion but it is the main reason. Likewise I do not believe in some of the beliefs that Muslims have.

Well it's the opposite for me. All the Muslim men in my family close and far have treated their wives well Alhamdulilah.
You are just hanging around the wrong people.

The Quran clearly forbids a Muslim woman to marry outside her religion. Whether you choose to follow or reject the word of God is up to you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Would you marry a non muslim if you loved them? And I mean if you truly loved them; you wanted to spend the rest of your lives together. Not just mere infatuation or lust.

Also what would you think if the non muslim wanted to raise your kids as muslims but was not one themselves?

I think that if you truly love someone, you should be able to be together, no matter what.

No rude comments which are offensive please. Also nobody try to start a fight. I am just curious to know about this.

Thank you in advance!:smile:

there has literally been a whole nother thread with the exact same title (near enough)
but since you asked so nicely.

i am muslim and yes I would. He'd have to be a bit of a cuck though like I need to be a bit dominant in the relationship because if the guy is then I'll just be like damn he's being all uno dominant n **** imma just do what he says I want my kids to be like him etc etc and the whole family will end up non-muslim.
But I was told women weren't oppressed in Islam?

- being told you're not allowed to marry someone of a different faith = oppression?
Original post by HAnwar
Yes it does. Please research this before spreading around incorrect info

“And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al‑Mushrikoon till they believe (in Allaah Alone) and verily, a believing slave is better than a (free) Mushrik (idolater), even though he pleases you. Those (Al-Mushrikoon) invite you to the Fire, but Allaah invites (you) to Paradise and forgiveness by His Leave, and makes His Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) clear to mankind that they may remember”

[al-Baqarah 2:221]*

Islam differentiates between the People of the Book and other non-believers. Considering the Quran explicitly allowed men to marry Christians and Jews and forbade other non-Muslims (polytheists in particular) why is the same not considered for women ?
A lot of verses address just men but it's common knowledge they address both genders. Why is it suddenly different when it comes to verses regarding marriage? Where does the Quran say "Muslim women cannot marrying from the People of the Book "?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
Well it's the opposite for me. All the Muslim men in my family close and far have treated their wives well Alhamdulilah.
You are just hanging around the wrong people.

The Quran clearly forbids a Muslim woman to marry outside her religion. Whether you choose to follow or reject the word of God is up to you.

you know what I'm glad and happy for you that you see this in this way. Thank you for sharing your opinion btw, I do appreciate that, I do respect the religion and understand it more than you might think. But I guess obviously its down to opinion. Different people have different beliefs so thanks for sharing your opinion's and reasons :smile:
What's so funny? Please share...

Your generalisation of Muslim men based on a few.

Spoiler

Would you marry a non muslim if you loved them? And I mean if you truly loved them; you wanted to spend the rest of your lives together. Not just mere infatuation or lust.

Also what would you think if the non muslim wanted to raise your kids as muslims but was not one themselves?

I think that if you truly love someone, you should be able to be together, no matter what.

No rude comments which are offensive please. Also nobody try to start a fight. I am just curious to know about this.

Thank you in advance!:smile:

Ok well assuming I'm in :love: with the person and find them to be the 'one' + they are okay with it and the timing in both our lives are fine AND they are "people of the book" (followers of Christianity/judasim) then I would.

I wouldn't be fussed. I agree to an extent but there are a wide range of variables. (excluding what society/family, relatives, community thinks)

Key point in life is to be happy.

Note: Hadith (saying) by Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) "When a man marries, he has fulfilled half of his religion, so let him fear Allah regarding the remaining half."
Original post by Kraixo
Your generalisation of Muslim men based on a few.

Spoiler

fair enough fair enough, at the en of the day, I have been around both muslim men and no muslim men and based on the many muslim men that I have spoken to will openly admitt the terrible ways that they treat their wives which is bound to impact ny opinion on them in general. Thanks for sharing though much appreciated
Original post by TelAviv
But I was told women weren't oppressed in Islam?

- being told you're not allowed to marry someone of a different faith = oppression?

It's not exactly oppression if someone agrees to follow Islam.

It's a choice to follow the religion or not to. No one is being forced to obey.
Reply 53
Original post by macsalaama
Islam differentiates between the People of the Book and other non-believers. Considering the Quran explicitly allowed men to marry Christians and Jews and forbade other non-Muslims (polytheists in particular) why is the same not considered for women ?
A lot of verses address just men but it's common knowledge they address both genders. Why is it suddenly different when it comes to verses regarding marriage? Where does the Quran say "Muslim women cannot marrying from the People of the Book "?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. This verse is definitely aimed at just men. Compare it to the one I posted a few comments above which is regarding Muslim women.

"And [lawful in marriage are] chaste women from among the believers and chaste women from among those who were given the Scripture before you, when you have given them their due compensation, desiring chastity, not unlawful sexual intercourse or taking [secret] lovers. And whoever denies the faith - his work has become worthless, and he, in the Hereafter, will be among the losers."
(Quran 5:5)

you know what I'm glad and happy for you that you see this in this way. Thank you for sharing your opinion btw, I do appreciate that, I do respect the religion and understand it more than you might think. But I guess obviously its down to opinion. Different people have different beliefs so thanks for sharing your opinion's and reasons :smile:

I hope you find a good Muslim man that treats you well and respects you and makes you change your view on Muslim men.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar
Nope. This verse is definitely aimed at just men. Compare it to the one I posted a few comments above which is regarding Muslim women.

And [lawful in marriage are] chaste women from among the believers and chaste women from among those who were given the Scripture before you, when you have given them their due compensation, desiring chastity, not unlawful sexual intercourse or taking [secret] lovers. And whoever denies the faith - his work has become worthless, and he, in the Hereafter, will be among the losers.

I hope you find a good Muslim man that treats you well and respects you and makes you change your view on Muslim men.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you very much, although I'm not ruling all muslim men out, I very much doubt I would marry one thanks though :smile:
OP,

Faith and Gender, if I may ask? :smile:
Marrying a non-Muslim doesn't seem like the best way to go. Even when you speak of love, love doesn't exist in two people's hearts unless it is willed by the Almighty.
There's a bit of a difference when it comes to marrying. Females, if they were to marry outside of the religion would have a hard time staying loyal to their faith - I am not the voice of feminism right now - but if your husband, whom you are so infatuated with, told you to choose religion or him, some would say him and the others would choose religion. Which would then lead to a divorce and the female becoming shunned when it comes to another marriage. Because females aren't thought of as much. Now remember this is culture not religion whereby a women is blamed. She would be the one who was tainted and the man would not be blamed when it comes to a divorce, making the woman's life miserable and potentially ruining her chances of a second marriage.
Furthermore, when it comes to children and religion, Men have the upper-hand. The children will most likely follow the religion of the father. The woman wouldn't have much of a say. Overall if a woman marries a non-Muslim, culture and religion collide, opinions and beliefs will overlap and there will be a lot of arguments, and the man will not seek out counsel from Allah as it is advised, or from Sunnah, the man will seek out worldly advice - worldly advice run by Satan who lives to ruin the sanctity of marriage.

Second, if a man was to marry a non-muslim women, the outcome would differ slightly. The female's parents may not agree but the woman will usually do as she wishes. Bare in mind, I am not calling females weak. I am a female myself. But most of the time the woman will follow the man if he offers a life different to the one she is currently living. The man may be able to persuade the woman to revert, but if she does she must only do so willingly for the sake of Allah. Otherwise once again, culture and religion will overlap, beliefs and religion will overlap and divorce may become the only option. Leaving the woman helpless against the world once again. In terms of children, the man once again decides the path the children will follow, the woman may disagree, leaving the man to look after the children, or that man may give the children to the woman - and she will lead them astray. The man will be to blame for not fulfilling his duty as a servant and a father.

There are many complications when it involves Muslims marrying Non-Muslims. The biggest of all is that they may revert part-time and when they don't like something they will go back to what they were before. The best advice, is to remain patient and not allow yourselves to succumb to Shaitaan.

In a more positive light, I am very very aware that there are those who have married non-Muslims and are living happily, in harmony. They have made it work, compromises and such. But if it is love, and you decided to marry a non-Muslim think about this: Wouldn't you want your partner to hold your hand in Paradise? Would you not want your partner to pray with you during the mornings of Fajr? Would you both not want to wake up together for Sehri time, visit Hajj together to perform the compulsory act?

Marrying a non-Muslim is best avoided, I do not wish to offend anyone. Unless the person was a revert before you met then you may guide them. But overall - it seems difficult and burdensome. Do not think about this life, think about how this partner will affect you in the after-life.
Hi there,
I am a 17 year old muslim woman. I am not religious but my background is muslim. I am currently in a wonderful relationship with a very wonderful christian guy and have been for 4 years. Getting with him is one of the best things I've done. Although my parents do not agree, I honestly think race or religion should not matter, if you love someone. I think all a relationship needs to work is love and commitment. So I guess you know my answer 😂. I do defiantly want to spend the rest of my life with him.

Did you start dating since 13?
Reply 58
All these girls saying they would, but from an Islamic perspective they're not allowed to. Only muslim men are allowed to marry people of the book (ie. Christians or Jews). Muslim women are supposed to marry Muslim men.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
no , mother was not a Muslim to begin with so it does not account as otherwise she would have married a Muslim man if she was a muslim
- for the record father will take his children to his father who is proper religious man as fathers side of the family would the most influence people rather that mothers side of the family so there ur wrong

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending