The Student Room Group

Would it bother you if there was an official International Men's Day?

Which received the same amount of coverage as the Internation Women's Day.

I know there is an International Men's Day in November (?), but it doesn't get the same backing as the IWD and is often laughed about in mainstream media.

I think it's important to raise awareness of troubles exclusive to men.

I also believe this will promote equality.

Scroll to see replies

If an International Women's Day highlights the plight faced by women, then surely an International Men's Day would highlight the plight faced by men (higher suicide rates [though that's fairly subjective], jail time disparity, difference in how much help the homeless get, etc)?

It's a good idea, if used properly.
Reply 2
I'm not entirely sure either is a good idea as such, but I really could care less. There's a whole range of completely stupid days celebrating all sorts.
If you claim to be pro-equality, I think the answer is obvious...
I don't really care to be honest
Why not have an International People's Day?
Most people would not care
Odd how men today are becoming like whingey girls.
Wouldnt bother me but I don't see the need for a 'day' for anyone, what exactly does it accomplish?
To promote equality, of course it's a great idea, especially as so many of men's problems are underlying - this would definitely have to be established though, as there is potential for it to be perceived as a matter of superiority - although perhaps this proves how much we need to reveal the plight of men and show them as individuals rather than a purely oppressive and powerful group :smile:
No, but it'll be another day I don't celebrate. We don't need a specific day to raise awareness of something.
Reply 11
Original post by Zantetsuken
No, but it'll be another day I don't celebrate. We don't need a specific day to raise awareness of something.

We do, but that's another topic.
Where in the world do men get acid thrown in their faces for rejecting someone? Name one country that is matriachal.

I wouldn't be bothered, but I wouldn't spend any time focusing on it (not that I ever do anything for IWD). It's silly so I understand ridicule. Of course men face difficulties but overall they are privileged over women worldwide.
Original post by The Roast
We do, but that's another topic.

Actually I'll back track - I'd agree with a specific day if it's backed up by initiatives and awareness projects in the weeks building up to it. Far too many of these yearly 'Days' pass people by with a whimper. International Men's Day is not the only one.
Reply 14
Original post by Zantetsuken
Actually I'll back track - I'd agree with a specific day if it's backed up by initiatives and awareness projects in the weeks building up to it. Far too many of these yearly 'Days' pass people by with a whimper. International Men's Day is not the only one.

Yes, I agree.
There already is one. And why would it bother anyone? It's insignificant anyway.
Original post by L i b
but I really could care less.

so...you do care about whether or not there's an International Mens Day?

Spoiler

To be honest the only way we'll know about this is by having the Google logo changed so... I doubt many would care.
Reply 18
Original post by WBZ144
Where in the world do men get acid thrown in their faces for rejecting someone? Name one country that is matriachal.

I wouldn't be bothered, but I wouldn't spend any time focusing on it (not that I ever do anything for IWD). It's silly so I understand ridicule. Of course men face difficulties but overall they are privileged over women worldwide.

Men are better leaders

Original post by thunder_chunky
There already is one. And why would it bother anyone? It's insignificant anyway.

Read the OP
Original post by difeo

Read the OP

I have. It's insignificant an unnecessary.

Latest

Trending

Trending