The Student Room Group

Should the Death Penalty be reintroduced for convicted paedophiles?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivybridge
I'm lost as to why you are arguing with me, then?

I don't know. You just decided to argue with me.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Right so placing someone in a 6 by 8 cell for 23 hours every day for the rest of their pitiful lives (Maybe 60 years+) and depriving them of liberty is justice and moral and not revenge yet executing them is seriously immoral and supporting it makes you as bad as the child predator / terrorist attacker lolol

You took the words right out of my mouth, that's exactly how it is. Depriving a criminal of liberty IS justice, you wazzock. Putting them in jail is very moral as they get to live and learn from their mistakes. Executing them IS seriously immoral - why should you get to dictate whether someone should live or die? A criminal still has the right to live, killing them would just be murder. Making the criminal repent and helping them would give them the chance to change their ways and instead of harming people they could help people!
Original post by UnoriginalBen
You took the words right out of my mouth, that's exactly how it is. Depriving a criminal of liberty IS justice, you wazzock. Putting them in jail is very moral as they get to live and learn from their mistakes. Executing them IS seriously immoral - why should you get to dictate whether someone should live or die? A criminal still has the right to live, killing them would just be murder. Making the criminal repent and helping them would give them the chance to change their ways and instead of harming people they could help people!

Why??? Because you believe its moral we call it justice but if its my opinion we call it revenge? LMAO

You think 23 hours a day in 6 by 8 room surrounded by hostile fellow scum is living and learning? Have you ever heard the saying, They are alive, but not living?

I am not dictating anything anymore than anybody else who holds an opinion like yourself.

We are talking about people who get maximum punishment, not some guy who got done for breaking a mans nose. There is no reforming monsters and even if there were, society would wisely shun them anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
I would have no problem with the death sentence for certain crimes.
The problem is though that we have some devious lying and cowardly police that will happily see an innocent person convicted to take the pressure to get a result, off themselves.
The Tottenham two.
The Broadwater Three
The Guilford Four
The Birmingham Six
The Maguire Seven
Stefan Kiskow of the top of my head would all be dead now and all were innocent.
Poor Stefan is dead as he didn't last long once released. Many of them convicted because police withheld evidence or ignored evidence that pointed to their innocence.
Check out the now disbanded West Midlands serious Crime Squad.http://www.independent.co.uk/news/west-midlands-serious-crime-squad-police-unit-to-blame-for-dozens-more-injustices-1120219.html.
While we have police like this (and you would have be naive to think there aren't plenty more out there) we can never go back to capital punishment.
Sad really.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Random.guy
Then how are they supposed to receive help for this mental illness when there are people like you who will judge them and treat them horribly when they try to get psychological treatment? I read an article in the paper months ago in where this guy who was a law abiding citizen early 20's was struggling with life as he notices he was attracted to children under 16 y/o yet didn't know where to turn to for help due to fear of being stigmatized and treat like a criminal despite doing nothing to act on these feelings. The person himself was disgusted with his own thoughts and just wanted help. So how are these people going to receive help if all they are going to get is hate and derision due to something they can't help. They are so alone in cases like this as there would be no way for them to talk to family or friends about this particular mental illness as it is no way in the same category as depression. We should be trying to get through to these people suffering in silence to provide a safe private place for them to receive help and treatment before they fall and act on these urges. But still throw the book at those who act on them.

Regarding the OPs post I am in the fence with the death penalty as there are days I fell some people really deserve to die yet also understand that there are many who have been wrongly convicted and executed.

Paedos are all about power and satisfying their "needs" whilst manipulating the young and vulnerable and violating them. They deserve no aid or support, imo, they deserve to die alone.
Because supporting the death penalty in certain circumstances is the same as wanting vigiliante abuse.

We are not setting any example.. no example is needed for humans flaws and evil to shine through. Tap on the wrist or hot rod in the rectum, monsters will always prey

Your moral superiority is misplaced imo, explain to me how the death penalty is retaliation whereas taking someones liberty and locking them in a 6 by 8 cell for 23 out of 24 hours a day for perhaps the next 50-60 years is not retaliation? If it was solely about keeping dangerous people away from the public, jails would be a little more comfortable wouldn't they?

It doesn't achieve anything more or less than jailing somebody. There are no winners, just losers. Thats how it is. There is nothing to be achieved unless you celebrate the removal of a cancerous member of society. Horrific monsters are inevitable, just remove them from the world upon conviction. Very simple.

Nothing has happened to my family and i am not advocating some very upset and hurt family handing down methods of execution like we are in texas or something.

There are flaws to both arguments but i hate this crap that is regurgitated time and again about how executing awful people for their crimes makes you as bad as them.

...So what's your point?

Are you for or against death penalty?

Convicted pedophiles aren't kept in a cell 23 hours a day..? They get therapy, it's a mental disorder remember.

I don't understand what you are getting at.

I didn't say executing awful people for their crimes makes you as bad as them. I said setting up a petition to call for somebodies execution is sick/twisted in my opinion.
Why??? Because you believe its moral we call it justice but if its my opinion we call it revenge? LMAO

You think 23 hours a day in 6 by 8 room surrounded by fellow scum is living and learning? Have you ever heard the saying, They are alive, but not living?

I am not dictating anything anymore than anybody else who holds an opinion like yourself.

We are talking about people who get maximum punishment, not some guy who got done for breaking a mans nose. There is no reforming monsters and even if there were, society would wisely shun them anyway.

No, we call it justice because it is the right thing to do which explains why I think it is a moral choice. Your opinion is called revenge because you want to punish him for his wrongs BY DOING WRONG. I'll repeat myself, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

You took what I said out of context, I was asking why you should get to choose whether someone should die or not? Why should anyone be given that kind of power? When do you draw the line between someone who should die for their crimes and someone who should go to jail? My opinion follows the law of the country and does not have people making extreme decisions of that scale unlike yours.

Anyone can be helped given the right amount of time and support. We shouldn't kill a criminal for their crimes, we should correct them. No matter the crime, I believe that there is still hope. These people weren't born monsters, they were born human beings.
Original post by markova21
I've just been reading about a British man convicted of abusing very young children abroad. I'm talking about the rape of babies, among other sick offences.He faces life in prison. Is this proper punishment? Do paedophiles deserve to be put to death? I have just started an online petition calling for the Death Penalty to be reinstated by the UK Govt. No chance of it happening,sadly. Just wondered what people on here thought?

Personally, I'm against the death penalty. I think that we as people shouldn't get to decide whether another person lives or dies. :colondollar:

And even for the most atrocious of crimes, I think those people will probably suffer in the afterlife anyway, so why should we need to quicken up the process? Perhaps it is better for them to rot in a cell for the remainder of their days, being forced to live with what their life has become, and wish for death.
I've just been reading about a British man convicted of abusing very young children abroad. I'm talking about the rape of babies, among other sick offences.He faces life in prison. Is this proper punishment? Do paedophiles deserve to be put to death? I have just started an online petition calling for the Death Penalty to be reinstated by the UK Govt. No chance of it happening,sadly. Just wondered what people on here thought?

idek why people still think the death penalty is worse than life imprisonment, id much rather die straight up then have to live a terrible life
Original post by The Roast
Paedos are all about power and satisfying their "needs" whilst manipulating the young and vulnerable and violating them. They deserve no aid or support, imo, they deserve to die alone.

I disagree, rapists are all about power and satisfying their needs there is a difference between the sexual fetish- pedophilia and rape. These rapists just happen to target young immature people instead of adults. Why should those who have done nothing and are trying to find help to "cure" themselves, or just to try and make their urges dampen/disappear so they don't have the thoughts or find ways to prevent themselves from ever acting on those urges get no help? It's just wrong, and by not helping those who would like help or not realise there is help for them available you are just increasing the potential that they may act on those urges. :frown:

Throw the book at the offenders who commit rape or store the indecent images etc. but we should still try to help those who have the thoughts but have not acted on them and so protect and prevent future victims.
why should we as humans decide who lives and who dies?
Everyone has an inalienable human right to life, even those who commit murder; sentencing a person to death and executing them violates that right.
This is very similar to the 'value of life' argument, but approached from the perspective of human rights.
The counter-argument is that a person can, by their actions, forfeit human rights, and that murderers forfeit their right to life.
Another example will make this clear - a person forfeits their right to life if they start a murderous attack and the only way the victim can save their own life is by killing the attacker.
The main argument that retribution is immoral is that it is just a sanitised form of vengeance. Scenes of howling mobs attacking prison vans containing those accused of murder on their way to and from court, or chanting aggressively outside prisons when an offender is being executed, suggest that vengeance remains a major ingredient in the public popularity of capital punishment.
You have these threads but nothings going to change? Just all casual talk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fish40
You have these threads but nothings going to change? Just all casual talk

Posted from TSR Mobile

what's your opinion on the situation?
Original post by hezzlington
Does it though? Does it make the victim feel any better?

Death is the easy way out for these guys.

Pedophiles are very unpopular in prisons....

It annoys me when people say death is the easy way out for them, because if you truly believed that then you wouldn't advocate life imprisonment, you'd want them to be regularly and systematically beaten and psychologically tortured, and most people don't approve of that.

IMO, to quote Hannibal Lector, "any sane society would either kill me or put me to use", so I believe that scum like child rapists should be either hanged or spend the rest of their pathetic life doing back breaking manual labour, such as in the gulag system but for the scum that actually deserve it as opposed to political prisoners.

Of course, paedophiles who haven't acted on their urges should be chemically castrated as to put a stop to their urges and ensure they can live a life where they don't rape innocent kiddies and damage them for life. Those who seek help have nothing to be ashamed of.
...So what's your point?

Are you for or against death penalty?

Convicted pedophiles aren't kept in a cell 23 hours a day..? They get therapy, it's a mental disorder remember.

I don't understand what you are getting at.

I didn't say executing awful people for their crimes makes you as bad as them. I said setting up a petition to call for somebodies execution is sick/twisted in my opinion.

My point is supporting the death penalty is not immoral. Child abusers go to jail not some psych ward. Sure they might receive treatment and rehabilitation in prison. It doesnt change the fact they are in prison

death penalty should be introduced for those who dont care for our environment
Original post by UnoriginalBen
No, we call it justice because it is the right thing to do which explains why I think it is a moral choice. Your opinion is called revenge because you want to punish him for his wrongs BY DOING WRONG. I'll repeat myself, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

You took what I said out of context, I was asking why you should get to choose whether someone should die or not? Why should anyone be given that kind of power? When do you draw the line between someone who should die for their crimes and someone who should go to jail? My opinion follows the law of the country and does not have people making extreme decisions of that scale unlike yours.

Anyone can be helped given the right amount of time and support. We shouldn't kill a criminal for their crimes, we should correct them. No matter the crime, I believe that there is still hope. These people weren't born monsters, they were born human beings.

Its going over your head. You are basically saying because you beleive it to be moral and justice, it is therefore moral and justice. You say i want to punish them with death and yet numerous posters in this very thread have stated they would prefer death than life imprisonment...

We are not discussing what is the current law in your country. Its as relevant to our discussion as the composition of Mars surface.

If you think a person of sane mind who has caused untold suffering and irrevocable damage to others lives is worthy of time, money and treatment millions of good human beings are deprived off and then to give that monster the freedom, a second chance to go back into society to see if your project has been successful at the very possible horrific detriment to other human beings... I can only disagree
Original post by libidothief
I don't know. You just decided to argue with me.

In response to you kicking off at me.
Original post by The Roast

setting up a petition to call for somebodies execution is sick/twisted in my opinion.

Yep.
Original post by Deyesy
What I was trying to suggest was that yes, my pills have absolutely nothing to do with my sexuality but something in the make up of them dramatically lowered my sex drive whereas the one I'm on now; I have a perfectly normal sex drive. It is possible for someone's sex drive to be reduced.

During WW2, soldiers were given Bromide in their tea to drink. It took most if not all their sexual desires away. I think the idea behind it was they couldn't have tens of thousands of men ,who needed to focus on fighting the enemy, if they kept getting sexual urges all day long.

Quick Reply