The Student Room Group

Self-teaching a language - where to start?

I think this is the best place for me to post this, but I'm interested in teaching myself French, and possibly Italian too. (Simply out of interest)

I have already studied French up to Standard Grade (i.e. GCSE level) but that was 6 years ago and haven't touched it since. Hence it would be untrue to say I'm a complete beginner, but going straight into advanced stuff might not be the best move.

What are the best ways to teach yourself a language? Is it good to follow the curriculum of national qualifications in French or is it sufficient to just grab a beginners/intermediate French book with audio CD and work through it?

Any insight would be much appreciated!
Original post by Chrisruptor
I think this is the best place for me to post this, but I'm interested in teaching myself French, and possibly Italian too. (Simply out of interest)

I have already studied French up to Standard Grade (i.e. GCSE level) but that was 6 years ago and haven't touched it since. Hence it would be untrue to say I'm a complete beginner, but going straight into advanced stuff might not be the best move.

What are the best ways to teach yourself a language? Is it good to follow the curriculum of national qualifications in French or is it sufficient to just grab a beginners/intermediate French book with audio CD and work through it?

Duolingo
Grammar Book and do the activities as you go along
Tandem language exchange app (free on Iphone)
Go to netflix, languages, and search for movies with french subs or dubs.
The first step is to learn basic words before you move on to forming sentences.

You will learn a language effectively in this structure:
1. Learn nouns
2. Learn adjectives
3. Learn verbs
4. Learn conjugated verbs
5. Learn past tense verbs (or however the language structures it to be, its usually the verb)... Then the future tense
6. Learn forming simple present tense structures
7. Learn forming complex present tense structures
8. Learn forming simple past tense structures
9. Learn forming complex past tense structures
10. Learn forming simple future tense structures
11. Learn forming complex future tense structure

You can change this around to what method suits you. I found this method the most effective to self teach a language.

Hope this helps. :h:
Original post by undercxver
The first step is to learn basic words before you move on to forming sentences.You will learn a language effectively in this structure:1. Learn nouns2. Learn adjectives3. Learn verbs4. Learn conjugated verbs5. Learn past tense verbs (or however the language structures it to be, its usually the verb)... Then the future tense6. Learn forming simple present tense structures7. Learn forming complex present tense structures8. Learn forming simple past tense structures9. Learn forming complex past tense structures10. Learn forming simple future tense structures11. Learn forming complex future tense structureYou can change this around to what method suits you. I found this method the most effective to self teach a language.Hope this helps.

You forgot the essential most important beginning step@Chrisruptor Which is learn the alphabet. This is seriously crucial. Before anything else learn the alphabet/characters. Then learn the grammar rules and vocabulary and mean time communicate in the language and listen to music and common accent in the language. It helps with familiarity.

I have a thread where I have received a lot of help translating French songs :cool:
@FrenchUnicorn@Marie-Antoinette
Original post by 0to100
You forgot the essential most important beginning step@Chrisruptor Which is learn the alphabet. This is seriously crucial. Before anything else learn the alphabet/characters. Then learn the grammar rules and vocabulary and mean time communicate in the language and listen to music and common accent in the language. It helps with familiarity.

I have a thread where I have received a lot of help translating French songs :cool:
@FrenchUnicorn@Marie-Antoinette

Thanks for pointing that out. :h:

Though I'm assuming OP would know the alphabet since they've completed a GCSE in French.
Original post by undercxver
Thanks for pointing that out. :h:

Though I'm assuming OP would know the alphabet since they've completed a GCSE in French.

He said he hasn't touched it in 6 years, like he remembers.

Hi !
To learn French I suggest you to :
- watch 10min of the French News everyday
- listen to French music everyday
- watch ALL your movies/series in French WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES !!! It does not have to be a French movie, just settle all the movies you want in French. Try to concentrate on the subtitles and try to relate them with what you hear.
- Also read in French ! Even if you don't understand it all at 1st, just do it, and everyday as well ! I mean you could just read 10 pages of a book it does not matter as long as you do it everyday. I recommend you to read before sleeping, so you'll remember better.
- Practise ! You can talk in French in La Société Française de TSR :h:
- + all of what @undercxver said :h:

If you need help in something don't hesitate to tag/PM me, I'm a native and I'd be happy to help :yep:

Original post by 0to100

Ofc he remembers, French alphabet is not complicated ^^
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Hi !
To learn French I suggest you to :
- watch 10min of the French News everyday
- listen to French music everyday
- watch ALL your movies/series in French WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES !!! It does not have to be a French movie, just settle all the movies you want in French. Try to concentrate on the subtitles and try to relate them with what you hear.
- Also read in French ! Even if you don't understand it all at 1st, just do it, and everyday as well ! I mean you could just read 10 pages of a book it does not matter as long as you do it everyday. I recommend you to read before sleeping, so you'll remember better.
- Practise ! You can talk in French in La Société Française de TSR :h:
- + all of what @undercxver said :h:

If you need help in something don't hesitate to tag/PM me, I'm a native and I'd be happy to help :yep:

Ofc he remembers, French alphabet is not complicated ^^

I said the subtitles and music thing as well. I just added the alphabet bit, and French alphabet is hard as ****. Why do you think I keep bothering you?
Original post by 0to100
I said the subtitles and music thing as well. I just added the alphabet bit, and French alphabet is hard as ****. Why do you think I keep bothering you?

Mate, he did French at GCSE and said he wasn't a beginner ..
Mate, he did French at GCSE and said he wasn't a beginner ..

Why're we still on about the alphabet thing? I tagged you about you helping me in my lyric thread...
Original post by 0to100
Why're we still on about the alphabet thing? I tagged you about you helping me in my lyric thread...

Here, we're not talking about you tagging me
Here, we're not talking about you tagging me

Right well I've already explained why I mentioned the alphabet thing. And exactly, we're not talking about you tagging me. Which is my point. We keep going back to the alphabet thing, like it's ludicrous to suggest learning how to pronounce words.
Original post by 0to100

Original post by 0to100

Actually I do remember the alphabet - can belt out a pretty good rendition of it to the tune of "I don't know but I've been told".

...doobly vae, eex, egreck, zed!

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I shall look into them!
Actually I do remember the alphabet - can belt out a pretty good rendition of it to the tune of "I don't know but I've been told".

...doobly vae, eex, egreck, zed!

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I shall look into them!

made my day :rofl: :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending