The Student Room Group

flat mate broke into my room, what can i do?

So i lived with 2 people and on one occassion whilst i had gone home for the weekend one of these people entered my room to search for something he thought i had. Is this considered illegal as no permission was given for him to enter my room nor conduct a search and if so what legal options do I have for this can i press criminal charges or would it be a civil matter?
Original post by Napp
So i lived with 2 people and on one occassion whilst i had gone home for the weekend one of these people entered my room to search for something he thought i had. Is this considered illegal as no permission was given for him to enter my room nor conduct a search and if so what legal options do I have for this can i press criminal charges or would it be a civil matter?

Civil. Police don't have time to press charges against room mates going into each other's bedrooms. :rofl: is hardly a criminal offence.
Get some sleep
Reply 2
Original post by Banana208
Civil. Police don't have time to press charges against room mates going into each other's bedrooms. :rofl: is hardly a criminal offence.
Get some sleep

Let me give more context;

This was a wee while ago and due to his trespas it has resulted in a police search later on...
Reply 3
Original post by Anon_98
Don't be so melodramatic + childish. Just speak to them about it + mention that you'd prefer for them not to enter your room whilst you're away?

Lol at pressing charges.

If you're facing criminal charges because of their being nosey wouldn't you like to have some leverege as opposed to rolling over and letting your life be steam rolled over?

Always nice to here oiks pre judging situations like you're doing though.
Reply 4
You need a SWAT team m8... they'll swat the little ****er... with bullets, BANG, dead, he'll never go into your room again... and shower time in the morning will be far easier.
Reply 5
Original post by John55
You need a SWAT team m8... they'll swat the little ****er... with bullets, BANG, dead, he'll never go into your room again... and shower time in the morning will be far easier.

I've heard worse ideas...:u:
What was he looking for? Did he (or the police) find it?
Reply 7
sounds like you had something illegal in your room which came to light at least in part because of his actions?

if so I suspect you are going to struggle to get the police or courts interested ...
Original post by Napp
Let me give more context;

This was a wee while ago and due to his trespas it has resulted in a police search later on...

Why? What are you so scared of him finding:lolwut:
Reply 9
Original post by Napp

Did they find what they were after? :teehee:
it's a flatmate issue and nothing more, not even your landlord is going to be interested let alone the police

and tbh if you have illegal stuff in your room that's your own fault
Technically tresspassing (without causing damage) is a civil, not criminal matter. You don't have to get the police involved if you don't want to, basically, but you'd have to pay any legal fees yourself if you wanted to take them to court.

If there's something illegal in your room, though, they could possibly try to use that as a defence (reasonable actions in a bid to prevent a crime, or something like that) and in the end, they might be able to get you in more trouble than they would have been.

I doubt I'll get an answer to this, but what sort of thing were they looking for? It's hard to give advice (or, to be honest, to know if I want to give advice) if I don't know what's really going on.
Pretty sure that's not even a crime. It's shared property is it not?
Similar topic from a different forum. This one got a response from some police officers, so may be useful (as background, if nothing else) https://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?/topic/55926-shared-tenancy-laws-is-my-bedroom-private-property/
Reply 14
Original post by Napp
I've heard worse ideas...:u:

...that's concerning :s-smilie:
Original post by Napp

Did he have the intention to steal something or did he enter because he thought you had something that belonged to him?
Original post by Napp
If you're facing criminal charges because of their being nosey wouldn't you like to have some leverege as opposed to rolling over and letting your life be steam rolled over?

Always nice to here oiks pre judging situations like you're doing though.

You want the police to bring charges against your flatmate because of his search, which brought resulted in them bringing charges against you?

Did they steal anything? I You could try bringing a claim against them for trespass to goods, bit its not clear what they have done and your claim sounds weak.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending