The Student Room Group

what things do YOU take on holiday?

going on our first holiday to barcelona in august and were booking it this weekend but as its my first, im unsure as to what id have to take.
obviously i have the obvious ones like passports, clothes, travel adapters etc but what else?
A decent camera.
A portable charger
Decent headphones
Hand sanitiser/ wet wipes
Some medication (nurofen, antihistamine)
Travel deodorant (so you don't stink up the plane :tongue:

Spoiler

That's all I can really think of atm
Reply 2
Original post by homeland.lsw
A decent camera.
A portable charger
Decent headphones
Hand sanitiser/ wet wipes
Some medication (nurofen, antihistamine)
Travel deodorant (so you don't stink up the plane :tongue:

Spoiler

That's all I can really think of atm

still helpful! thanks!
im taking these little mini bottles of deodrants and shampoos etc, the ones specifically for holidays :smile:
Reply 3
got all that covered, thankyou :smile:
I think you've pretty much got it covered. I try to take as little as I can. So, it's things like clothes, a wash bag, medication, passport, don't bother with a camera because the camera on my phone is better.
Reply 5
Coffee... I can't stand foreign coffee it tastes so bad 😭
Reply 6
Gonna go out on a limb here....clothes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Other than the really important essentials such as clothes, passport, money etc - the things I always take but almost forget to take are things like hair bobbles, sanitary towels/tampons, hair brush (the amount of times I have only just remember to pack that 2 mins before leaving for the airport :laugh: ), my colouring book and pens :colondollar:
Original post by shawtyb
going on our first holiday to barcelona in august and were booking it this weekend but as its my first, im unsure as to what id have to take.
obviously i have the obvious ones like passports, clothes, travel adapters etc but what else?

Don't forget ur self!!!:biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Tiger Rag
I think you've pretty much got it covered. I try to take as little as I can. So, it's things like clothes, a wash bag, medication, passport, don't bother with a camera because the camera on my phone is better.

as were going somewhere hot that required beach type stuff, i doubt it will weigh much :smile:
also why does everyone always say to take medication? can you not buy it out there?

Original post by NHM
Coffee... I can't stand foreign coffee it tastes so bad 😭

iv not got that problem :smile:

Original post by Andy98
Gonna go out on a limb here....clothes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

of course! hadnt even thought of that :wink:

Original post by Spock's Socks
Other than the really important essentials such as clothes, passport, money etc - the things I always take but almost forget to take are things like hair bobbles, sanitary towels/tampons, hair brush (the amount of times I have only just remember to pack that 2 mins before leaving for the airport :laugh: ), my colouring book and pens :colondollar:

ah yea good point! id have forgotton these other wise!

Original post by shahida sulaiman
Don't forget ur self!!!:biggrin:

obviously :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by shawtyb
of course! hadnt even thought of that :wink:

It's the only thing I really take :dontknow:
I highly recommend having an international credit card such as the halifax clarity. Has great rates in any country with no fees for purchases. You pay ~13% APR on cash withdrawls, but in my experience that 1% you pay for the month is typically cheaper than swapping at the post office given the superior rates. It also means you can just withdraw cash/spend on card as you need, rather than walking around with hundreds/thousands in your pocket.

I also recommend having everything you need to survive your first 24 hours in your hand luggage in case of your luggage getting lost. It can be a life saver.

Make sure you have photocopies of your travel insurance and passport for carrying around with you. Again it can be helpful.
Original post by Elivercury
I highly recommend having an international credit card such as the halifax clarity. Has great rates in any country with no fees for purchases. You pay ~13% APR on cash withdrawls, but in my experience that 1% you pay for the month is typically cheaper than swapping at the post office given the superior rates. It also means you can just withdraw cash/spend on card as you need, rather than walking around with hundreds/thousands in your pocket.

I was told by my bank (not Halifax) it's cheaper to use my debit card to withdraw money abroad.
Original post by Tiger Rag
I was told by my bank (not Halifax) it's cheaper to use my debit card to withdraw money abroad.

It entirely depends on who you bank with and what cards you have.

Typically I would never advise taking money out on a credit card, as you automatically have to start paying interest back on it. This would go double when withdrawing money abroad, as it'll like attract extra fees. But this card in particular (Halifax Clarity) has no fees and the rate is so good that the interest you'll pay often still works out cheaper than trading currency at the post office. Also in most modern countries you can use a credit card for nearly every purchase.

You can get debit cards with free cash withdrawals abroad (and the same exchange rates). If you can get these then that is a real bonus, but these tend to be a lot rarer these days and are often associated with higher end, paid for accounts e.g. the nationwide flexplus account (£120 per year). On the other hand, they can have fees for purchases and are only good for cash only.

It depends what you have access to really, but having some form of access to cash abroad is a good idea in case you suddenly need some for whatever reason.
Original post by shawtyb

also why does everyone always say to take medication? can you not buy it out there?

Well, you can't just buy your prescription medication over there, which is what I was referring to, more than anything else.
simple drugs like aspirin are expensive abroad... i always take plenty of Germolene™ for minor bumps & cuts.
Original post by shawtyb
Barcelona?

Quick Reply

Latest