The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A 2016 unofficial mark scheme 27/05/16

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by jayeshforce1
i got 49.6 something like that

I think it was 24.8

Is this titration calculation question worth 3 marks? If it is, then I am certain that the answer was 24.8cm3
Reply 221
Original post by Daisy1202
Do you think for the isotopes question you will lose a mark for not mentioning electrons? I just said same number of protons for similarity and different number of neutrons for difference 😬 I did think about writing electrons but I decided not to for some reason

I don't think you'll loose marks for not mentioning electrons.
Reply 222
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
Got 57 which is either a high b or a low a. On last years boundaries that would be an A but on one of the tougher yars that would be a high b. We will have to wait and see! Btw, for the q regarding how you could decrease the % error, could U say that you could use a measuring device with a greater precision i.e less than 0.005. It is technically correct but would OCR accept this?

That's definitely an A. Bare in mind this is a new specification and although we all found it easy when answering the questions, the vast majority of us probably lost some marks due to silly mistakes.
Examiners cannot increase the grade boundaries higher than 80% for an A when a new specification is introduced to students in my opinion. I think an A will be roughy 75%.
Original post by oni176
That's definitely an A. Bare in mind this is a new specification and although we all found it easy when answering the questions, the vast majority of us probably lost some marks due to silly mistakes.
Examiners cannot increase the grade boundaries higher than 80% for an A when a new specification is introduced to students in my opinion. I think an A will be roughy 75%.

I disagree this year it will a statistical award which means the same percentage of students will receive each grade. I was at an OCR meeting where this was confirmed. The grade boundaries depend on the overall difficulty of the 2 papers. It is my opinion that this was a fair paper and it was far easier than the F321 retake which was quite tricky in parts.
Reply 224
Original post by JLFChem
I disagree this year it will a statistical award which means the same percentage of students will receive each grade. I was at an OCR meeting where this was confirmed. The grade boundaries depend on the overall difficulty of the 2 papers. It is my opinion that this was a fair paper and it was far easier than the F321 retake which was quite tricky in parts.

75% is not too low for an A grade at all. It does depend on the difficulty but new specification could mean that students may not be prepared for the examiners' expectations, as they are very specific now and their specimen papers showed that old examination papers do not help. I am not expecting the grade boundaries to increase as a result of this action. We have seen many OCR's past science papers were even an easy paper did not exceed to 80%. The only paper I saw was 83% maximum. And the person said ''Is 57 an A'' which is 81% so surely he/she got the A grade.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oni176
75% is not too low for an A grade at all. It does depend on the difficulty but new specification could mean that students may not be prepared for the examiners' expectations, as they are very specific now and their specimen papers showed that old examination papers do not help. I am not expecting the grade boundaries to increase as a result of this action. We have seen many OCR's past science papers were even an easy paper did not exceed to 80%. The only paper I saw was 83% maximum. And the person said ''Is 57 an A'' which is 81% so surely he/she got the A grade.

It will depend how difficult the students found the paper. A statistical award means there will be the same % of students achieving each grade as last year, presumably for the AS. Though this may of course only apply to the full A level. We will have to wait and see!
Does anyone remember if the answer to one of the multiple choice was+129 or -129???
Can anyone send me the depth in chemistry practice paper ?
Original post by sia_x11
I have the paper guys should i upload it

Please inbox me this! Thanks:smile:
Original post by IndieFox98
Does anyone remember if the answer to one of the multiple choice was+129 or -129???

Yh I remember +129 but can't remember the question.
Original post by sia_x11

Can you Inbox me the paper, please?
Reply 231
I thought the practice breadth paper that i took as a mock was easier than this one.
Original post by 4nonymous
Yh I remember +129 but can't remember the question.

i believe the answer was -129, check with others if not
Original post by ninja55
i believe the answer was -129, check with others if not

I don't remember 100% if it was +or- but I do remember 129. Although I'm more towards +129? If I knew the question then I'd be able to check for sure, but like I said not exactly sure
no point bothering about it now to be fair, only one mark, if you go to the @alevel chemistry on twitter, they posted the question paper with answers, so if you really need to look, you can on there :smile:
I misread water of crystallisation q and only worked out the empirical formula and not the mol ratio from salt to water moles, how many marks do you think I'll lose 1 or 2- also grade boundary predictions?
Did the dot and cross of a nitrate ion need square brackets with a 1- charge on it like in the dot and cross for an ion
Reply 237
Original post by qwertyuiop1998
Did the dot and cross of a nitrate ion need square brackets with a 1- charge on it like in the dot and cross for an ion

Yeah it's a good idea as normally there's a mark for putting a bracket round the molecule and the charge
Original post by sia_x11

Hey, can you please send me a message with the paper please? It would really really help me :smile: thanks
Original post by sia_x11

Could you PM me the paper too please?

Quick Reply