The Student Room Group

Germany has done it! Armenian genocide recognized. Mass Turkish butthurt incoming.

The German parliament has overwhelmingly voted to label the 1915 killings of Armenians by Ottoman Turks as "genocide", prompting Turkey to recall its ambassador to Germany.

Ankara agrees that many Armenians died in ethnic fighting and the deportation process between 1915 and 1917 during World War I, putting its estimate at 300,000 casualties. Armenia says 1.5 million died in the process in what it calls a "genocide".

The motion, which was put forward by Chancellor Angela Merkel's governing coalition and the opposition Greens, was passed on Thursday with support from all the parties in the German parliament.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/06/germany-turkey-armenia-genocide-160602134209286.html
Reply 1
At long last.
Original post by M14B
At long last.

Meanwhile the UK has not recognized the armenian genocide.
Reply 3
Original post by HucktheForde
Meanwhile the UK has not recognized the armenian genocide.

Original post by Mathemagicien
Nor the US, despite Obama's promises, I believe

They are still kissing the Turk's rears, in my opinion
Can someone explain to me why this is a big deal? Or even a "deal"? What's the point, it's just a label? I honestly want to understand, not being sarcastic or anything.
Original post by gagafacea1
Can someone explain to me why this is a big deal? Or even a "deal"? What's the point, it's just a label? I honestly want to understand, not being sarcastic or anything.

Lol how would you feel if your people were systemically killed , and no one even recognized it?
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Lol how would you feel if your people were systemically killed , and no one even recognized it?

Yeah but I'm talking more about the stress on the word genocide. Also what do you mean by recognize? What do you want people to do? Just because you changed the word, doesn't mean people will start learning about it more.

before we can learn from the past we have to accept what happened

failing to do this will simply result in it happening again
Yeah but I'm talking more about the stress on the word genocide. Also what do you mean by recognize? What do you want people to do? Just because you changed the word, doesn't mean people will start learning about it more.

I think the Armenian people wanted it to be recognized because it was such a bloody affair. It really can be compared to the Holocaust and Rwandan Genocide.

By it being recognized, hopefully Turkey would be put under pressure to apologize for it.
Original post by homeland.lsw
I think the Armenian people wanted it to be recognized because it was such a bloody affair. It really can be compared to the Holocaust and Rwandan Genocide.

By it being recognized, hopefully Turkey would be put under pressure to apologize for it.

So you mean the EU officially calling it a genocide will help make sure Turkey apologizes for it. Otherwise it's just a label and there isn't anything underlying it, like a new law or whatever?

Recognizing the genocide isn't just about the word , it's about remembering what happened and not to repeat it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending