The Student Room Group

Do you support gay marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivybridge
How did you work that one out? :lol:

Their idea was this:

Most Muslims are against gay marriage.
More Muslims are coming into England.
Therefore, in the future, more people will be against gay marriage and gay marriage will be repealed.

It doesn't take into account that Muslims still make up less than 5% of England's population, and atheists who tend to be more progressive make up slightly over 50%.
Original post by Mactotaur
Their idea was this:

Most Muslims are against gay marriage.
More Muslims are coming into England.
Therefore, in the future, more people will be against gay marriage and gay marriage will be repealed.

It doesn't take into account that Muslims still make up less than 5% of England's population, and atheists who tend to be more progressive make up slightly over 50%.

It's just complete drivel really. A lot of Muslims I know also don't care, lololol. People are getting a bit over the top with all of this Islam rubbish now - the government isn't going to become Islamic, calm yourselves. :lol:
It's just complete drivel really. A lot of Muslims I know also don't care, lololol. People are getting a bit over the top with all of this Islam rubbish now - the government isn't going to become Islamic, calm yourselves. :lol:

It's true that a majority of Muslims oppose gay marriage, though I feel it's the older generations more. The younger Muslims I know don't really care that much about it.
It's true that a majority of Muslims oppose gay marriage, though I feel it's the older generations more. The younger Muslims I know don't really care that much about it.

A lot of people oppose gay marriage... a lot of people also don't care enough about it to vote on it or even bother voicing the opinion, when it matters.
A lot of people oppose gay marriage... a lot of people also don't care enough about it to vote on it or even bother voicing the opinion, when it matters.

The problem with that is that if someone were to try and push the vote through in that scenario, they wouldn't have that much opposition.
The problem with that is that if someone were to try and push the vote through in that scenario, they wouldn't have that much opposition.

I think people would oppose it very strongly - marriage goes beyond religion and we're in a time where people are seeing the absolute and undenied importance of rights, freedom, equal treatment, and happiness.
I think people would oppose it very strongly - marriage goes beyond religion and we're in a time where people are seeing the absolute and undenied importance of rights, freedom, equal treatment, and happiness.

As I said, I don't think gay marriage will ever be repealed in England.

Speaking of-
rights, freedom, equal treatment, and happiness

-are you doing anything for Pride this year?
As I said, I don't think gay marriage will ever be repealed in England.

Speaking of-
-are you doing anything for Pride this year?

I'm in the London Pride Parade this year :smile:
I'm in the London Pride Parade this year :smile:

Have fun and take pictures! I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make it.
No problem whatsoever with it.

also,

>2016
>taking the bible literally.
>putting any credence in the bible.

ISHYGDDT
This completely enrages me. How is having a gay relationship on TV an example of gay rights being pushed in your face? You're fighting for us to be seen as normal, natural, and a part of society yet complaining when that is conveyed? What ****ing logic you have.
This completely enrages me. How is having a gay relationship on TV an example of gay rights being pushed in your face? You're fighting for us to be seen as normal, natural, and a part of society yet complaining when that is conveyed? What ****ing logic you have.

i am personally pro love and if anyone wants to love someone who are we to stop that, however the physical act itself opposes Darwinian evolution and our altruistic behaviour as humans. fifty gay people on an island in 100 years most likely extinct. whereas "straight" people would produce offspring fulfilling the cycle of life.
(edited 7 years ago)
I must admit it took me a while to understand gay rights and to fully get behind gay marriage. But now hell, i'm all for it. I'm sure you've heard of this anecdote but i do love it, and if there is a God then he's probably a smart badass and is helping balance global population by an increase in homosexuality.

I think homosexuality is 100% fine, in fact it's more than fine, it's probably what is needed more-of right now in order to prevent the continuing spiral of exponential population growth. However it's needed for a far more important reason than just population-limitation. It's needed because it is a FREEDOM and people should be FREE to choose their sexuality.

A really cool read that i'd encourage for people is a book called 'The Forever War'. I don't want to spoil it but it talks about advancing civilization and just how rapidly opinions on sexuality and ethics can change.

Best regards
Francis.
Original post by Francis Urquhart
I must admit it took me a while to understand gay rights and to fully get behind gay marriage. But now hell, i'm all for it. I'm sure you've heard of this anecdote but i do love it, and if there is a God then he's probably a smart badass and is helping balance global population by an increase in homosexuality.

I think homosexuality is 100% fine, in fact it's more than fine, it's probably what is needed more-of right now in order to prevent the continuing spiral of exponential population growth. However it's needed for a far more important reason than just population-limitation. It's needed because it is a FREEDOM and people should be FREE to choose their sexuality.

A really cool read that i'd encourage for people is a book called 'The Forever War'. I don't want to spoil it but it talks about advancing civilization and just how rapidly opinions on sexuality and ethics can change.

Best regards
Francis.

People so not choose to be gay.
You clearly don't understand the movement you claim to support.
Why are so many people here against same-sex marriage?
People so not choose to be gay.

With respect i believe some people do. Many of my friends view themselves as bisexuals, getting the best of both worlds, they themselves consider it a choice.

However i know there's also a big genetic argument when it comes to homosexuality but frankly i think the way we've all defended and justified it has been wrong.

It shouldn't be seen as some 'genetic-cause-come-condition; but as a freedom, a right, and who cared what it is, we should make sure that we're not discrediting those people simply for making a decision.

This is a really interesting debate though, as we both support the same thing but come at it from different schools of thought! :smile:

Best regards to you!
Francis.
Original post by #JOSH45#
Don't compare being black to being gay. I'm not even black and that offends me. Gays and feminists need to stop trying to steal black peoples civil movement ! Were you enslaved ? No. So cut the crap.

& for those "tolerant" people talking about love. Practice what you preach, you can't call people "pieces of ****" because they don't agree with you and then think you're a tolerant, lovely person.

Were gay people enslaved? No. Just thrown from buildings, executed and killed in numerous hate crimes. Oh, and I forgot to mention, ALL IN THE 21ST CENTURY.

When was the last time you heard about a country having laws that execute you for being black?

Homophobic laws are still in place all around the world, so how dare you try and tell me that "gays and feminists need to stop trying to steal black peoples civil movement" (as if there can only be one civil rights movement?)

Gay people face discrimination just like many other minority groups, and being gay in some parts of the world can be a threat to your life.

So you cut the crap.
Reply 298
No I do not support at all. :angry:
I support minding your own business.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending