The Student Room Group

Writing in exams

Hey, how are you all finding your exams?? I was just wondering... Is it okay to write under the given lines in a GCSE exam, but above the bold line (where they say not to write in)??
I did that in some of my exams and am not sure if it will be marked....

Thanks!
Reply 1
Hi, sorry you didn't get a reply. I'm in year 10 and my exams are going fine, how are yours going? :smile: I have written below the given lines in my exams but I would not recommend writing in the side areas or any areas that have anything like don't write in this as I think they get sent to examiners and it is likely they will only read the things that are in the area that is meant for writing. I don't think there will be a problem but I can't be sure, sorry :frown: Just hope for the best :colondollar:
Reply 2
Original post by Emilia1479
Hey, how are you all finding your exams?? I was just wondering... Is it okay to write under the given lines in a GCSE exam, but above the bold line (where they say not to write in)??
I did that in some of my exams and am not sure if it will be marked....

Thanks!

Sorry to break the bad news.... They scan the paper but only the work inside of the black lines they see:/ Dont do it next time just ask for some more paper!! As long as it wasnt too much outside !
Original post by k1234j
Sorry to break the bad news.... They scan the paper but only the work inside of the black lines they see:/ Dont do it next time just ask for some more paper!! As long as it wasnt too much outside !

Ngl but that is kind of stupid because some people have varying handwriting sizes and also sometimes the lines are not enough especially in science exams.
Reply 4
Hey, thanks for your reply!!

I'm glad your exams are going well :smile: Mine are going fine as well

I haven't been writing in the side areas... there are pages where the lines only take up a third of the page and the rest is blank so I just kept writing for a couple of lines...

Original post by BhavyaB
Hi, sorry you didn't get a reply. I'm in year 10 and my exams are going fine, how are yours going? :smile: I have written below the given lines in my exams but I would not recommend writing in the side areas or any areas that have anything like don't write in this as I think they get sent to examiners and it is likely they will only read the things that are in the area that is meant for writing. I don't think there will be a problem but I can't be sure, sorry :frown: Just hope for the best :colondollar:
Reply 5
aaahhhhhh

When you say they only scan the work inside the black lines, do you mean the boundary lines or only the lines they provide for writing??

There r pages where the lines only take up a third of the page and the rest is blank, so idk if you can write in those areas...

Original post by k1234j
Reply 6
aaahhhhhh

When you say they only scan the work inside the black lines, do you mean the boundary lines or only the lines they provide for writing??

There r pages where the lines only take up a third of the page and the rest is blank, so idk if you can write in those areas...

Yes that is fine!! :smile: Don't worry! I've done that too as they give us so little space!
Reply 7
omg I'm so glad to hear that... thanks :smile:

haha - I know right!!

I did ask the invigilator during the exam and they said it was alright... then everyone told me that they only scanned the lines they provide us..

thanks for reply though :smile: I was completely freaking out!
Original post by k1234j
That will be fine then! :smile: I've done that too as they give us so little space!!
Reply 8

haha - I know right!!

I did ask the invigilator during the exam and they said it was alright... then everyone told me that they only scanned the lines they provide us..

Yeah don't worry!! They scan everything in the thick black lines so as long as you didnt write in the 'do not write outside the box' it will be read!!

Its ok! :smile:
Reply 9
haha ikr

tbh my handwriting isn't even that bad normally... but when u realise ur answer was wrong, there is never any space to write the correction...

Original post by Daydreamer3
Ngl but that is kind of stupid because some people have varying handwriting sizes and also sometimes the lines are not enough especially in science exams.

haha - I know right!!

Even if you wrote outside of the border where it says "do not write here" or whatever:
The exam board will notice you have written outside of the border, and they will retrieve your paper for traditional marking. Here's a link to some video about how the exam boards mark papers...[video]https://youtu.be/2_ruJ5i8ZJ4?t=5m48s[/video]
Reply 11
Thanks!!

That was really helpful:smile:
Original post by romansholiday
Even if you wrote outside of the border where it says "do not write here" or whatever:
The exam board will notice you have written outside of the border, and they will retrieve your paper for traditional marking. Here's a link to some video about how the exam boards mark papers...[video]https://youtu.be/2_ruJ5i8ZJ4?t=5m48s[/video]
Hey, thanks for your reply!!

I'm glad your exams are going well :smile: Mine are going fine as well

I haven't been writing in the side areas... there are pages where the lines only take up a third of the page and the rest is blank so I just kept writing for a couple of lines...

Ahh, I see what you mean now.. I believe I have done that before but only in mocks and stuff marked by our own teachers so I still am not very sure about it :frown: I think it is fine as long as you don't write in the side areas :smile:
Reply 13
okay - thanks!! I definitely feel a lot less stressed now!!

It would be quite annoying if you lost marks cos your answer wasn't actually marked...

Original post by BhavyaB
Ahh, I see what you mean now.. I believe I have done that before but only in mocks and stuff marked by our own teachers so I still am not very sure about it :frown: I think it is fine as long as you don't write in the side areas :smile:
Yeah I agree, it would be very annoying. Don't stress about it anymore :smile:
okay - thanks!! I definitely feel a lot less stressed now!!

It would be quite annoying if you lost marks cos your answer wasn't actually marked...
Reply 15
thanks !!
Original post by BhavyaB
Yeah I agree, it would be very annoying. Don't stress about it anymore :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest