The Student Room Group

Are we alive or dead?

The meaning of human life, biologically is to pass on genetic information, to reproduce. One can argue that we do this to remain alive/ this is the closet we get to immortality or this is for the survival of the entire human race. That's not the point of this post however.

Point is, that Viruses also reproduce/ pass on their DNA/ RNA yet they are not considered alive. So dead things can also reproduce?

Also, i have heard of theories suggesting that mitochondria, an organelle of bacteria were once living organisms that evolved into a state of death, moving into the modern bacterial cell that we know today, just so it could pass on it's own DNA/ RNA, hence reproducing itself.

Is there much distinction between life and death if any?

Scroll to see replies

Heavy stuff
I'm too tired to even think straight right now let alone figure this out:p:$
Reply 3
Well viruses aren't 'dead' - they are activated when contact with living organisms.
(edited 7 years ago)
Alive unfortunately :h:

Spoiler

Reply 5
Thanks guys, really helpful:colonhash:
If you think you're already dead, go outside and get run over by a bus (not really though, but hypothetically). You'll see the difference it makes. Well, you won't, but everyone else could then confirm that you were alive and are now dead.
Being alive isn't just to make children so your biological argument for whether we are truly alive is limited to a scientific perspective.

Religion and love can spur life on much more than wanting to procreate imo
I guess you can have a scientific answer or a philosophical answer.
Reply 9
Original post by Ordo
Well viruses aren't 'dead' - they are activated when contact with living organisms.

Na uh. they lack some major properties of a living organism, therefore they can't be classified as alive.
is that a sheep??:gigg: its so cuteee.
Reply 11
Original post by WoodyMKC
If you think you're already dead, go outside and get run over by a bus (not really though, but hypothetically). You'll see the difference it makes. Well, you won't, but everyone else could then confirm that you were alive and are now dead.

Did i say i thought i was dead?
Reply 12
Original post by Namita Gurung
I guess you can have a scientific answer or a philosophical answer.

Please answer it. :smile:
Original post by tailred
Did i say i thought i was dead?

You asked if there was a possibility that we're all dead, yes.
Reply 14
Original post by WoodyMKC
You asked if there was a possibility that we're all dead, yes.

ok
Reply 15
Original post by Ordo
It's a pretty much theoretical question so people will agree and disagree. We don't know for sure.

what do you personally think then?
Original post by tailred
Na uh. they lack some major properties of a living organism, therefore they can't be classified as alive.

But the definition of "alive" was created by humans, right? What makes our definition correct?
Reply 17
Original post by tailred
what do you personally think then?

I agree with some people who think that life includes certain qualities in addition to an ability to replicate so the viruses may be alive.
I've been dead ever since my first heartbreak, really. 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
We're definitely not dead ~ that requires having been alive.

I'd say the real question is whether we're alive, or whether being alive really exists :moon:

Quick Reply

Latest