The Student Room Group

WJEC BIOLOGY BY1 2016 (NEW AS) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Does anyone have the exam paper?
Any 9 mark predictions?
can anyone explain the tissue fluid thing
Like what happens at the arterial end and the venule end and why it's important please
Original post by RasputinReborn
It'll be something easy. They won't discriminate against pupils on a 9 mark question. I think it will be describing and explaining the effects of temp, light, humidity and wind speed on the rate of transpiration, or how water moves up from the roots to stomata. Definitely feel something plant related coming up. On the specimen papers, for WJEC, it was describing how the the electrical excitation from the SAN causes them to contract, and for Eduqas, it was comparing oxygen affinity between a frog and tadpole. So in conclusion:

Plant stuff as mentioned above.
Describe how x is digested and absorbed.
Describe how various organisms have evolved and how various methods can prove this.
Describe and explain the adaptations for gas exchange in mammals and fish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im so glad the spec 9 marker was on oxygen graphs cuz i hate em ahah I agree with your prediction about the plant stuff, i'm thinking it might give us data and then say compare the transport in xylem and phloem but im eduqas
Original post by lemonandlime1
can anyone explain the tissue fluid thing
Like what happens at the arterial end and the venule end and why it's important please

Hydrostatic pressure> osmotic @ arterial end so net movement out (ultrafiltration)

Reverse in venous end via osmosis

Not really sure of its importance though :/
Reply 145
"Comparable to the legacy specification." I surely can't be the only who was comfortably getting A grades, and now begging for a B/C. If they want to make it comparable, then Lord there's going to have to be some real low grade boundaries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in the same position as you , It's so unfair I doubt I'll even pass biology this year :frown: someone should start a petition or something ! :confused: The most annoying part is that the revision guides didn't have any questions that were similar to those on the real paper?!
(edited 7 years ago)
Ironically, the textbook/revision guide is written by the same ***** that write up the exam paper.

Hey guys am I write in saying the grade boundaries come up the day before results day? if we see that they are not lowered to reflect that exam then we need to complain
FOR EVERYONE THAT THOUGHT THE EXAM PAPER WAS UNFAIR / TOO DIFFICULT

http://qualificationswales.org/news/summer-exams-2016/?lang=en&

ANSWER THIS
I can't remember anything because nothing is sticking in my head
dreading BY2 today, praying it wont be as crappy as the BY1 because I know I'm failing that
did anyone do the legacy paper? if so what did you think?
Did anyone do the new spec BY2 paper today? How did everyone find it? I personally found it quite easy
Reply 152
I thought it was horrible, but still better than Unit 1 😂
On the question where they talk about which two animals could be classified in the same group and showed you 3 pictures....

do you think they will mark me down for spelling incisors as insicors

And on the bat frequency graph thing, how many pulses did you put in a second?

AND, what did you put in the heart defect question?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ActuallyIDo
On the question where they talk about which two animals could be classified in the same group and showed you 3 pictures....

do you think they will mark me down for spelling incisors as insicors

And on the bat frequency graph thing, how many pulses did you put in a second?

AND, what did you put in the heart defect question?

Well is said that they both has large canines and indents on their jaw and skull. I put that there was no septum and that the atrium and ventricles had no values between them and i got 41 pulses, check out the tread i made for this exam as this is educas not wjec
Original post by science2001
did anyone do the legacy paper? if so what did you think?

Yeah I did, is there a thread for it? I thought it was okay, some questions were worded weirdly and I think I read into it wrong but who knows. How did you find it?
Original post by clairebear101
Well is said that they both has large canines and indents on their jaw and skull. I put that there was no septum and that the atrium and ventricles had no values between them and i got 41 pulses, check out the tread i made for this exam as this is educas not wjec

What is exam was this ? There was no dentition of animals or heart question on WJEC BY2 I did
There are two WJEC BY2 papers, one Eduqas and the other just WJEC. I did the one you did with no heart. I thought it was better than BY1 but it wasn't that nice either xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pharmhopeful16
There are two WJEC BY2 papers, one Eduqas and the other just WJEC. I did the one you did with no heart. I thought it was better than BY1 but it wasn't that nice either xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh thank you ! That one sounds better than the ones we did :c I can do dentition and everything to do with the heart and nothing came up!! Yeh both were crap , BY2 slightly less crap
Same! Those were my favourite topics. I found the last diversity question threw me a bit. They gave an index of 10.24 but I thought it couldn't exceed one 😕 but the essay question wasn't too bad though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending