The Student Room Group

Attending McGill University, Canada

I recently got accepted to McGill University in Canada and wondered if any UK or European students have anything to share about their experiences before I make my final decisions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivybridge
I recently got accepted to McGill University in Canada and wondered if any UK or European students have anything to share about their experiences before I make my final decisions?

I'm curious, do you really think McGill is worth the money? Presumably you come from a wealthy family and can pay the international fees - but what other than a North American university experience are you getting for your dollars? I hope you don't think a degree from McGill is going to make getting a good job in the UK/Europe easier, chances are it won't make any difference at all.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
I'm curious, do you really think McGill is worth the money? Presumably you come from a wealthy family and can pay the international fees - but what other than a North American university experience are you getting for your dollars? I hope you don't think a degree from McGill is going to make getting a good job in the UK/Europe easier, chances are it won't make any difference at all.

Personally, yes. And the fees aren't really that bad at all, especially in comparison to British university fees from what I've read on the site. Either way, that wasn't really the question but yeah.
Personally, yes. And the fees aren't really that bad at all, especially in comparison to British university fees from what I've read on the site. Either way, that wasn't really the question but yeah.

I figured you wouldn't mind me asking as nobody else replied. Certainly the fees aren't as bad as in the US, but they are still high - a degree from McGill costs around £40,000 (not including living costs) - that's a lot of money, I don't see the point tbh. If it were me I'd take out a student loan, study in the UK and put that 40k towards buying a flat. :dontknow:
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
I figured you wouldn't mind me asking as nobody else replied. Certainly the fees aren't as bad as in the US, but they are still high - a degree from McGill costs around £40,000 (not including living costs) - that's a lot of money, I don't see the point tbh. If it were me I'd take out a student loan, study in the UK and put that 40k towards buying a flat. :dontknow:

A degree from McGill costs less per-year than a degree obtained in the UK... It is therefore cheaper for me, and you get the experience whilst gaining a degree from one of the best universities in the world. Seems pretty win-win to me if you can afford it.
A degree from McGill costs less per-year than a degree obtained in the UK... It is therefore cheaper for me, and you get the experience whilst gaining a degree from one of the best universities in the world. Seems pretty win-win to me if you can afford it.

McGill doesn't cost less per year, their tuition fees are higher (not much higher, but still higher). The cost of living in Montreal is also higher than in most British cities. But the point is you're having to pay upfront to study at McGill, you wouldn't in the UK - you'd take out a loan. That makes a difference.
Reply 6
Original post by Snufkin
McGill doesn't cost less per year, their tuition fees are higher (not much higher, but still higher). The cost of living in Montreal is also higher than in most British cities. But the point is you're having to pay upfront to study at McGill, you wouldn't in the UK - you'd take out a loan. That makes a difference.

That's not true - according to the tuition fees, McGill's Bachelor of Arts degree costs £8,454.00. That is less than the UK. Accomodation is also between £2,000 and £6,000, I believe. Not sure where you're getting your stats from...

Yes, but it doesn't to someone who can afford it... like me... As such, experience and so on is what it's all about, I think.
Reply 7
Attachment not found
Screen Shot 2016-06-03 at 03.18.48.png
That's not true - according to the tuition fees, McGill's Bachelor of Arts degree costs £8,454.00. That is less than the UK. Accomodation is also between £2,000 and £6,000, I believe. Not sure where you're getting your stats from...

Yes, but it doesn't to someone who can afford it... like me... As such, experience and so on is what it's all about, I think.

It clearly says the total cost of tuition (which includes other university charges and insurance) is 18,603.46.

As for accommodation, the average cost is about $15,000 a year. Where are you getting your figures from?
Reply 9
Original post by Snufkin
It clearly says the total cost of tuition (which includes other university charges and insurance) is 18,603.46.

As for accommodation, the average cost is about $15,000 a year. Where are you getting your figures from?

No, it says total costs. The other things are extras. Why are you being such an argumentative prick? :s-smilie:

I can afford it - as such I don't care about your opinion on the costs. That was not the question. I'm not asking for you to help to decide whether or not to attend.

Moreover, from their accomodation and international fees charts.
Original post by Snufkin

Can i just say you went from saying tuition is 40k to less than 10k so clearly you are the one who needs to sort out their figures. and they are correct in saying tuition is 8k. 10k is in including other fees. tuition in uk is 9k so tuition is cheaper at mcgill....
Reply 11
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Can i just say you went from saying tuition is 40k to less than 10k so clearly you are the one who needs to sort out their figures. and they are correct in saying tuition is 8k. 10k is in including other fees. tuition in uk is 9k so tuition is cheaper at mcgill....

I agree. I think, however, the user was trying to say McGill costs £40,000 for the entire degree :smile:.

Sorry I can't help you but I was wondering if you could post your stats? I'm considering applying next year and there isn't much information on the internet of the general standard of those applying/accepted. also what r u thinking of majoring in
I agree. I think, however, the user was trying to say McGill costs £40,000 for the entire degree :smile:.

Well yes, but it still doesn't. McGill estimates total living costs at $11,126 - $18,185 (6k-10k) so including tuition, other fees, accommodation etc all in all the whole degree will be 14k to 18k inc. all expenses which is quite a good deal. cheaper than going to uni in london. the only difference is in the uk you are eligible for loans but not in canada.

How do you go about getting a loan for a degree overseas?
Reply 15
Original post by Middriver
How do you go about getting a loan for a degree overseas?

No idea - I don't need one :colondollar:
Reply 16
Well yes, but it still doesn't. McGill estimates total living costs at $11,126 - $18,185 (6k-10k) so including tuition, other fees, accommodation etc all in all the whole degree will be 14k to 18k inc. all expenses which is quite a good deal. cheaper than going to uni in london. the only difference is in the uk you are eligible for loans but not in canada.

Although McGill does offer Entrance Bursaries and Aid to internationals if one needs it.
Reply 17
Sorry I can't help you but I was wondering if you could post your stats? I'm considering applying next year and there isn't much information on the internet of the general standard of those applying/accepted. also what r u thinking of majoring in

I'm not a believer in posting marks online at all so I'd rather not. My marks were good and I had extenuating circumstances which accomodated for a couple of Bs here and there across GCSEs and AS. My predictions were also strong and my SAT was 2100.

I want to major in History.
No, it says total costs. The other things are extras. Why are you being such an argumentative prick? :s-smilie:

I can afford it - as such I don't care about your opinion on the costs. That was not the question. I'm not asking for you to help to decide whether or not to attend.

Moreover, from their accomodation and international fees charts.

They aren't extras, they're costs you have to pay which fall under the general tuition costs umbrella. For some reason you ignored the total cost. Your mistake, not mine. Please don't insult me, if you're going to contradict someone you should be ready for a counter argument.

Whether you can afford it isn't relevant. It was obvious you could or else you wouldn't have applied. I'm just questioning whether it is worth the money. Personally I don't think it is but of course you're free to decide that for yourself.

The accommodation website clearly states the costs and they're nothing like the ones you quoted.

4 x 10k = ???? :facepalm:

She's wrong (and you know she's wrong), and yet you agree? :s-smilie:
Original post by Snufkin

4 x 10k = ???? :facepalm:

oooooooookay sorry i misunderstood:colondollar: but i still don't see how that is much different to the uk? you are still gonna pay like 30k over the whole thing and u get one less year. in terms of tuition McGill = 34k for 4 years and UK = 27k for 3 years
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending