The Student Room Group

Ocr history!!!

Hey guys! I've been pondering all week. I normally get an A* in both of the exams HOWEVER I recently found out that I've got a B in the coursework :frown: Does this mean that it'll be impossible for me to get an A* overall? It's 25% of the grade. Also, does anyone know if the grade boundaries are out yet? because he may be roughly guessing but I think most didn't do that well on that coursework so the grade boundaries may be lower (I got 40/50) much appreciated!!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I do OCR history too. I don't think u should worry too much about it because let's face it, the coursework for history is pretty challenging. According to what I've seen with last results of people I know, a slight lower grade in your coursework doesn't make a big difference to what you get in the exam. As long as you get A*s in both exams, you should be fine as coursework is only 25% and exam is 75%.
Reply 2
Original post by Anmol_.
I do OCR history too. I don't think u should worry too much about it because let's face it, the coursework for history is pretty challenging. According to what I've seen with last results of people I know, a slight lower grade in your coursework doesn't make a big difference to what you get in the exam. As long as you get A*s in both exams, you should be fine as coursework is only 25% and exam is 75%.

Do you know if they've actually decided on the grade boundaries yet? Also, is it possible to still get an A* overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by TheNerdxP
Do you know if they've actually decided on the grade boundaries yet? Also, is it possible to still get an A* overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, grade boundaries for this year will be released in 24th August. Of course, I think I will probably get a B in coursework too and I'm still I pin for an A* overall as exams are my stronger point.
Any tips you guys can give me for achieving A*s in the exams? My historical knowledge is good but it may be the way I'm answering questions which cause me to get As and Bs. Any useful sites etc?
Recognise multiple points of view (widely read), be sceptical and be able to back up your viewpoint.
Reply 6
Original post by JamesHare
Any tips you guys can give me for achieving A*s in the exams? My historical knowledge is good but it may be the way I'm answering questions which cause me to get As and Bs. Any useful sites etc?

I think the main thing for me personally is to be passionate about what you're talking about. This will show that you're confident with the subject and it's good to have extra knowledge to ensure you're getting top marks. I personally don't go on any particular sites, I just bought a more detailed revision guide and started to expand my knowledge. It's good to get some points for and against and the structure of the questions of course otherwise you could lose easy marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Anmol_.
No, grade boundaries for this year will be released in 24th August. Of course, I think I will probably get a B in coursework too and I'm still I pin for an A* overall as exams are my stronger point.

Is it possible that the grade boundaries may be low this year? I've heard that they're dropping this coursework next year so they may be more lenient. Also, I hardly know anyone who got more than a B and they're A* students so they may base it on how everyone's done? How's your school done?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Is it possible that the grade boundaries may be low this year? I've heard that they're dropping this coursework next year so they may be more lenient. Also, I hardly know anyone who got more than a B and they're A* students so they may base it on how everyone's done? How's your school done?

Posted from TSR Mobile
hopefully it will be then because coursework is definitely the worst part in history so next year they will be in a safer position to not have a coursework at all. Very average. So far the top grade in coursework is only a B and only 4 student out of 90 who do history got that. Majority of the people are below a C at the moment although we have had an opportunity to improve our grade but we haven't been given our modified grade yet s
I think the main thing for me personally is to be passionate about what you're talking about. This will show that you're confident with the subject and it's good to have extra knowledge to ensure you're getting top marks. I personally don't go on any particular sites, I just bought a more detailed revision guide and started to expand my knowledge. It's good to get some points for and against and the structure of the questions of course otherwise you could lose easy marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay thanks a lot man
Original post by Anmol_.
hopefully it will be then because coursework is definitely the worst part in history so next year they will be in a safer position to not have a coursework at all. Very average. So far the top grade in coursework is only a B and only 4 student out of 90 who do history got that. Majority of the people are below a C at the moment although we have had an opportunity to improve our grade but we haven't been given our modified grade yet s

a lot of people in my school got 50/50 :/
Reply 11
Original post by blueribbons99
a lot of people in my school got 50/50 :/

Then it would probably be moderated down? My teacher wouldn't give anyone higher than 47/50 in fear that it would most likely be reduced?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then it would probably be moderated down? My teacher wouldn't give anyone higher than 47/50 in fear that it would most likely be reduced?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I thought tbh, my teacher thinks mine should be 50/50 but he gave me 49/50 to try and prevent it, personally I thought it was a bit odd but up to them isn't it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
it was 46 for an A* last year I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

In a similar position OP, my history teacher did say that you can comfortably get an A* as long as you get approx 80% in exams...I might be wrong though
I was told that if you get anything above 40 in the coursework out of 50, then you're in with a good chance of getting an A or A*. And remember, it's only 25% so don't dwell on it too much - it can't be changed now but just focus on Papers 1 and 2 :smile: highest mark in my school was 47/50 I think
Reply 16
Original post by student.life
I was told that if you get anything above 40 in the coursework out of 50, then you're in with a good chance of getting an A or A*. And remember, it's only 25% so don't dwell on it too much - it can't be changed now but just focus on Papers 1 and 2 :smile: highest mark in my school was 47/50 I think

What if I just got 40? Have I just missed the mark? xD I still think 40/50 is a bit harsh to be a B.
What if I just got 40? Have I just missed the mark? xD I still think 40/50 is a bit harsh to be a B.

Maybe just but you never know, boundaries could change! I agree, I wouldn't say 40/50 is a B, it's probably an A. The coursework is always challenging though but if you're confident with your subject knowledge, I'm sure you'll ace the paper on Monday and that could add to your ums massively. Wish you the best of luck :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by student.life
Maybe just but you never know, boundaries could change! I agree, I wouldn't say 40/50 is a B, it's probably an A. The coursework is always challenging though but if you're confident with your subject knowledge, I'm sure you'll ace the paper on Monday and that could add to your ums massively. Wish you the best of luck :smile:

Thankyou very much! :smile: I wish the best of luck to you too!
Does anyone have a brief list of the things we need to know about for the OCR History Germany paper?

Maybe a list of acts or events? The specification is always so clustered so even a brief list that someone may compile themselves would be a big help, cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending