The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Can someone give me hint for question 3 of 1 2013 please. What does it mean by 'distinct' and would X and Y be coordinates?
Original post by Glavien
Can someone give me hint for question 3 of 1 2013 please. What does it mean by 'distinct' and would X and Y be coordinates?

It means distinct by saying the points are different (the vectors)
Hint:consider equating coefficents of the vectors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
It means distinct by saying the points are different (the vectors)
Hint:consider equating coefficents of the vectors.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got the answer correct, lambda = 1/2, but I don't really understand the difference between XstarY and YstarX.
Hello mate! Hope uni is going well!
Yes I reapplied and got an offer of S,1 in any order in II and III.
I spent alot of this year doing Olympiad Maths so not STEP but it took my ability in STEP to a much higher level. I just did random questions now and then when people did them on the thread throughout the year and have gone hardcore on STEP for the last few weeks now and it is going well! Let us hope I don't **** up the A level part aswell lol!

Good luck on making your offer! I guess you're feeling pretty confident with STEP now?

Out of interest what A levels are you doing, this would be your third year wouldn't it?

Do you have any recommendations on getting into Olympiad Maths? The books all seem pretty expensive so I was wondering if there was an easier route!
If anyone's looking for some mechanics practice:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4139863
@physicsmaths, @IrrationalRoot, @EnglishMuon, @Zacken, @Vesniep,

(tagging everyone so I can get a fast answer; I know, I am obnoxious)

I am currently planning my exam schedule on how I will manage my time revising for the upcoming exams, and I am not sure of the best way to revise STEP the day before the real exam. Should I practice the questions I am weak on (complex numbers, vectors, mechanics, and maybe geometry[too scared to do this one]) or do you think this is not productive and I should just revise the A-level exams which are a week from the STEP ones. I feel like it is best to just pick out random questions and do them, and I also think it is not good to do questions I am weak on since the past mocks I have done make me think that as long as my confidence is very good (love questions and not afraid of them) I can easily get high 1 or even an S but with low confidence I panic and don't do well (II/III 2013 and 2014 respectively). Because of this I feel like doing questions for fun and for the love of STEP questions would be much better than just doing mocks the day before the exam/practicing questions I am weak on.

What do you plan on doing the day before the STEP exams for STEP prep? That is - 13/06, 15/06 and 22/06 for I/II/III respectively, and also in the morning before the afternoon III exam.
Original post by Insight314

I am currently planning my exam schedule on how I will manage my time revising for the upcoming exams, and I am not sure of the best way to revise STEP the day before the real exam. Should I practice the questions I am weak on (complex numbers, vectors, mechanics, and maybe geometry[too scared to do this one]) or do you think this is not productive and I should just revise the A-level exams which are a week from the STEP ones. I feel like it is best to just pick out random questions and do them, and I also think it is not good to do questions I am weak on since the past mocks I have done make me think that as long as my confidence is very good (love questions and not afraid of them) I can easily get high 1 or even an S but with low confidence I panic and don't do well (II/III 2013 and 2014 respectively). Because of this I feel like doing questions for fun and for the love of STEP questions would be much better than just doing mocks the day before the exam/practicing questions I am weak on.

What do you plan on doing the day before the STEP exams for STEP prep? That is - 13/06, 15/06 and 22/06 for I/II/III respectively, and also in the morning before the afternoon III exam.

Definitely not any A-Level work the day before. But not nothing either. Will just casually do some old questions/any left from my recent mocks. Not too many and not any the night before.
Reply 267
I got 2 full solutions in the step 2 2014 mock and a few partials. I mucked up the timing because I forgot to set an alarm, so I kinda just guessed when 3 hours was up. I didn't do as badly as I expected considering I have never done a step 2 paper before in full.

I do have a question though. Regarding the projectiles question, what were you meant to differentiate with respect to? I tried 3 different things and got horrible expressions for all. First I tried differentiating with respect to x, then with respect to theeta and as x as a variable, then with respect to theeta and x as a constant. I guess my last try was correct but I got an expression with tan^3theeta and it was ugly af so I just gave up there. Also why is x constant?
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Definitely not any A-Level work the day before. But not nothing either. Will just casually do some old questions/any left from my recent mocks. Not too many and not any the night before.

I need to do A-level work though, but probably gonna do some questions casually like you.

Why wouldn't you do any A-level revision the day before STEP exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 269
Original post by jacobe
I got 2 full solutions in the step 2 2014 mock and a few partials. I mucked up the timing because I forgot to set an alarm, so I kinda just guessed when 3 hours was up. I didn't do as badly as I expected considering I have never done a step 2 paper before in full.

I do have a question though. Regarding the projectiles question, what were you meant to differentiate with respect to? I tried 3 different things and got horrible expressions for all. First I tried differentiating with respect to x, then with respect to theeta and as x as a variable, then with respect to theeta and x as a constant. I guess my last try was correct but I got an expression with tan^3theeta and it was ugly af so I just gave up there. Also why is x constant?

They tell you that x is a constant. You can either differentiate with respect to lambda (easiest) or with respect to theta (not so bad but not the easiest). I dunno where you're getting tan^3 theta from. Factor out the sec^2 theta from your expression.
For question 3(iv) 1,2013 I understand this bit, 'you will notice that the condition 0 < lambda < 1 comes into play, so that P1 cuts XYinternally' but do not understand the ratio 'in the ratio (1 lambda):lambda'. How do you form the ratio?
(edited 7 years ago)
I need to do A-level work though, but probably gonna do some questions casually like you.

Why wouldn't you do any A-level revision the day before STEP exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I need to make sure I'm completely focused on STEP the day before and also that I don't waste any mental energy on doing A-Level papers before the exam (yes, I have very low mental energy, my brain becomes unproductive pretty quickly).
Original post by SamKeene
Good luck on making your offer! I guess you're feeling pretty confident with STEP now?

Out of interest what A levels are you doing, this would be your third year wouldn't it?

Do you have any recommendations on getting into Olympiad Maths? The books all seem pretty expensive so I was wondering if there was an easier route!

artofproblemsolving, the internet is full of pdf's
@Vesniep emailed you.
Original post by SamKeene

Yeh hopefully shud be ok for S,1 maybe.
I did Maths FM Physics last year got A*A*B so resitting physics(need A*) and doin further additional maths(need A*).
For olympids just art of problem solving mate!
Reply 275
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I need to make sure I'm completely focused on STEP the day before and also that I don't waste any mental energy on doing A-Level papers before the exam (yes, I have very low mental energy, my brain becomes unproductive pretty quickly).

How tf do you do 3 hour papers then lol

Just do a few questions! Look thru papers at techniques!
Then get to sleep early
Original post by jacobe
How tf do you do 3 hour papers then lol

Just about lol, I get tired very quickly and so my last couple of solutions are worryingly slow. So I have to make up for it by seeing the right ideas very quickly, which is not always easy.
Yeh hopefully shud be ok for S,1 maybe.
I did Maths FM Physics last year got A*A*B so resitting physics(need A*) and doin further additional maths(need A*).
For olympids just art of problem solving mate!

And I thought I was the only one who used AoPS... Have you tried the Calculus book? It's great :biggrin:.
:ciao:

STEP III 2014 mock:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending