The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Would be a good thing I think. People saying women are more deserving of such a day seem to make out they're mutually exclusive. We have save the children and charities saving donkeys, I doubt many say the plights of donkeys are on par with children being trafficked, raped, mutilated etc, but both charities exist.

There are issues men face and a day to remind men they can get help is a positive thing, especially for things like mental health issues, talk on suicide, and being victims of domestic abuse. I won't pretend women aren't more likely to be victims of abuse, but very stinging mental abuse can be very damaging in itself and lead to the aforementioned topics men are more impacted by.

Honestly though we shouldn't talk about things in terms of gender when it comes to depression, abuse etc, we should be teaching people not to hurt people and letting people know they should seek help. It's why the government advert recently on abusive teenage relationships really frustrated me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9GjpheIMro

Why does the boyfriend have to be the instigator in their scenarios? I mean no offence here but from a lot of anecdotal situations it's more girls who are possessive over looking at their boyfriends phones, now clearly I won't generalize for the whole population, but it certainly shows it would be best to simply say "if you're looking through your partners phone" and keep it neutral.
Reply 41
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan
No! I think it's a great thing that shouldn't be laughed at. Third wave feminists need to start treating men as they wish to be treated rather than being misandristic.

But we all know that is never going to happen.
Original post by The Roast
But we all know that is never going to happen.

Unfortunately you are probably right. I believe in equality not superiority but that's in an ideal world hey?
Reply 43
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan
Unfortunately you are probably right. I believe in equality not superiority but that's in an ideal world hey?

Would you agree that a lot of mainstream media is being swamped by Feminist and leftist propaganda?

It's unhealthy for society because it prevents people from choosing their own political inclinations.
Original post by The Roast
Would you agree that a lot of mainstream media is being swamped by Feminist and leftist propaganda?

It's unhealthy for society because it prevents people from choosing their own political inclinations.

I am left wing but I'd agree on the bombardment of feminism in the media.
Original post by WBZ144
Of course men face difficulties but overall they are privileged over women worldwide.

So you argument boils down to "I recognise and acknowledge that men have issues, but **** them because women have it worse"? Such equality.

If feminism was championed by people like you, it'd fail before it even started. Mercifully, both for the sakes of feminism and common sense, there are still people like the poster below around.

Original post by elizahughes
To promote equality, of course it's a great idea, especially as so many of men's problems are underlying - this would definitely have to be established though, as there is potential for it to be perceived as a matter of superiority - although perhaps this proves how much we need to reveal the plight of men and show them as individuals rather than a purely oppressive and powerful group :smile:

I wish there were more feminists like you; people who genuinely care about the issue of equality instead of the pissing contest that a significant proportion of feminists seem to view their "cause" as.
Reply 46
Original post by fr0sr_
so...you do care about whether or not there's an International Mens Day?

Spoiler

A typo, I promise!
Original post by Drunk Punx
So you argument boils down to "I recognise and acknowledge that men have issues, but **** them because women have it worse"? Such equality

Since when was International Men's Day needed to address men's issues?
Original post by Mactotaur
The idea behind 'X day' is to raise awareness of issues affecting that group. It's a good idea in concept.

I understand the point but its a waste of time imo. 'Gay people exist, you know this because they had a day' - most people wont know the day exists, a large proportion more wont care and those who do will likely not get closely enough involved to actually see the issues as presented. The majority who care and attend will be people of that group and it turns into a circlejerk of whinging as like minded people say how hard it is to be x and that they have problems with no outside influence to say well maybe its not because you're gay/black/a woman.

Even disregarding that what does the day itself accomplish. Its been womens day quite often yet feminists still pedal the same tired rhetoric which assuming its true (it is not) then how has their international womens day done anything to help.
I believe in equality so it wouldn't bother me. Also, my crush is a man so I would certainly like to see International men's day getting as much coverage as women's. This would allow me to give him a card to wish him International men's day and who knows I may just hint at him that he's the man of my life, at least in my dreams.

I don't even know what I'm talking about tbh. :colonhash:
Original post by Drunk Punx
So you argument boils down to "I recognise and acknowledge that men have issues, but **** them because women have it worse"? Such equality.

If feminism was championed by people like you, it'd fail before it even started. Mercifully, both for the sakes of feminism and common sense, there are still people like the poster below around.

I wish there were more feminists like you; people who genuinely care about the issue of equality instead of the pissing contest that a significant proportion of feminists seem to view their "cause" as.

Thank you! I think it's more sad than anything because a lot of feminists don't understand some of the struggles men go through and aren't really willing to listen to men because there are a lot of men bashing feminists sadly :frown: of course there are issues in which women are more oppressed such as rape, but there are also issues in which men are more oppressed, namely successful suicides and child custody, which are SO important!!
Shut up already. No it wouldn't bother if its sole purpose wasn't to make stupid kids feel better about themselves.
Original post by WBZ144
Since when was International Men's Day needed to address men's issues?

I never said that it was needed. Is International Women's Day "needed"? These events (if you can call them that) presumably serve to highlight some of the plight that the members of the event are targeting/concerned with, and I don't see how raising awareness on social issues could be considered a bad thing.

I mean sure, if everyone took 5 minutes to think about the various injustices and inequal treatment around the world then I can only assume that some of those people thinking would pull their fingers out and **** would get done to remedy those problems... but seeing as other peoples' problems don't usually feature in the landscape of every day life, sometimes a gentle reminder is needed.

Also, I could take your reply, put a hat on it, and stick it out by the cabbages. Should work great for scaring off the crows.
Original post by fr0sr_
so...you do care about whether or not there's an International Mens Day?

Spoiler

You beat me to it. These bloody Americans.
I couldn’t really care less tbf

My family is hardly gathering around the table, celebrating IWD.

Seems like more of a PR Campaign day for businesses to be like “WE RESPECT WOMEN, LOOK HOW INCLUSIVE WE ARE” before then returning back to normal the next day.
International Women’s Day is a scam. I’ll get downvoted for this but the whole idea that there was a Tyrannical Patriarchy is false. People forget just what life was really like up until around 120 years ago and that men and women had no choice but to split responsibilities until we built the technology and ultimately the society in which we have today.

So yeah. IWD is a scam just as much as IMD would be a scam.

Latest

Trending

Trending