The Student Room Group

What are the biggest issues facing young people today?

As part of my dissertation I'm looking at the idea of ownership:

- the fact that people in the 18-25 age group don't `own` things in the way that previous generations did - eg books, vinyl records etc replaced by kindles and spotify

- and many no longer see owning a house as an achievable aim

Are we now living in a world where we no longer own anything? have all interactions with our interests/goals/passions/careers become ephemeral temporary and short lived?I'd be really interested to hear your opinions on these ideas.Thanks, Ed.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ed03

- the fact that people in the 18-25 age group don't `own` things in the way that previous generations did - eg books, vinyl records etc replaced by kindles and spotify

Are we now living in a world where we no longer own anything? have all interactions with our interests/goals/passions/careers become ephemeral temporary and short lived?I'd be really interested to hear your opinions on these ideas.Thanks, Ed.

gangs is a major issue
Original post by Ed03

Under the Theft Act s4(1), digital media is still property, under intangible property.
In the UK?

House prices.

Ever-growing class divide.

Stagnation in regards to economy, technology and green-policies.

Those are the big uns on my mind, not sure of the others.

Best regards
Francis.
How they are going to buy a property/home
Original post by ODES_PDES

Parents can help, no?
Original post by TrueDetective01
Parents can help, no?

Some can
Some have many children
Some cannot at all
My first thought is house prices :dontknow:
Reply 8
affordable housing
Some can
Some have many children
Some cannot at all

*sigh*
For the YOUTH it would be

**** schools
**** parents
**** neighbourhoods

Pretty much it
Reply 11
Original post by TrueDetective01
*sigh*

Why do you sigh?
youth struggles I'm aware of:

early parenthood
early addictions
early criminal record
possibly all from:
early exposure to negative things because of parental negligence and lazy apathetic schools, and bad neighbours

This is all comes from classism and where it's left ignored people.
Those annoying old people that complain about how social media is taking over and that nobody talks face to face anymore, on facebook
Whether or not they get enough likes on Instagram. :tongue:

Just kidding.

I'm not sure most young people even think about housing. I think big issues are things like obesity, young pregnancy, homelessness, etc...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wellzi
Why do you sigh?

No reason :smile:
Original post by Legendary Quest
Where or not they get enough likes on Instagram. :tongue:

Just kidding.

I'm not sure most young people even think about housing. I think big issues are things like obesity, young pregnancy, homelessness, etc...

These, among others.

They do? lol
Original post by Ed03

These are all material problems. Real problems being faced by young people in my opinion are exploitation, mental illness, abuse, radicalisation and bullying.
Original post by Legendary Quest
Whether or not they get enough likes on Instagram. :tongue:

You mean reps on TSR...? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply