The Student Room Group

Do you support gay marriage?

Scroll to see replies

I don't even support straight marriage.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mactotaur
Does the will of a country dictate human rights?

How about putting gay people to death? Should that be legalised just because most of the country supports it?

I don't think most of the country supports putting gay people to death, in fact, only the minority will.
Original post by Sacred Ground
I don't think most of the country supports putting gay people to death, in fact, only the minority will.

That's not the point. The user said that gay marriage should not be legalised in Russia because most people don't want it to be. I applied that to a more absurd situation to point out the absurdness.
Original post by imran_
I do not have knowledge of this but if you're a Muslim yourself and is in favour of homosexuality. I would advice you to speak to an imam.

That is a poor argument brother. To assume the problem with understanding is with myself.

The very first word revealed to prophet Mohammedﷺ in the Qur'an was 'Read!' (Iqra!)

Which means the onus is on ourselves to learn and understand. There is NO place for bigotry and homophobia in our lives and you should know better what it feels like to be ostracised, bullied and picked on as a Muslim living amongst rampant islamophobia.

"Allah will not change the condition of a people until they change what is in themselves.. " Qur'an 13:11

Think about this carefully.

And for the record I have many fruitful discussions with imams, and trust me, many stop preaching hate towards gays and lesbians.
Reply 364
Original post by Jhansen23
That is a poor argument brother. To assume the problem with understanding is with myself.

The very first word revealed to prophet Mohammedﷺ in the Qur'an was 'Read!' (Iqra!)

Which means the onus is on ourselves to learn and understand. There is NO place for bigotry and homophobia in our lives and you should know better what it feels like to be ostracised, bullied and picked on as a Muslim living amongst rampant islamophobia.

"Allah will not change the condition of a people until they change what is in themselves.. " Qur'an 13:11

Think about this carefully.

And for the record I have many fruitful discussions with imams, and trust me, many stop preaching hate towards gays and lesbians.

so ur telling me if u marry a man (assuming you are) more people will agree with it than disagree? listen leave it here as the prophet muhammed PBUH said to the nearest meaning 'do not argue even if you're in the wrong'
Original post by imran_
so ur telling me if u marry a man (assuming you are) more people will agree with it than disagree? listen leave it here as the prophet muhammed PBUH said to the nearest meaning 'do not argue even if you're in the wrong'

More people in this country and in most civilised countries will agree with it than disagree.
Reply 366
Slavery - 100% Solved
Racism/Racial Segregation - 99% Solved
Sexism - 95% Solved
LGBT rights - 80% Solved
Animal Misconduct - 40% solved
Excessive Nationalism - 30% solved
Veganism/distant issues - 5% solved

Gay marriage isn't even a question anymore, it's clearly the morally right thing. Though as we can see from the things lower on the list, that doesn't mean everyone supports it.
I'm not quite a vegan and I'd focus more on helping a fellow Brit than 2 Frenchman, but slowly but surely we'll all get there, it'll just take many generations.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 367
More people in this country and in most civilised countries will agree with it than disagree.

Yes, you're correct. The UK for example, im sure majority would agree to it. However for example in Saudi/India/Bangladesh/Pakistan 95% would disagree to it. Don't get me wrong, there are many homosexuals in these countries but yeah. I do apoligise if I have offended any homosexuals on here. I'm just against it and I have no hate towards the person, just the sin :smile:
Original post by imran_
Yes, you're correct. The UK for example, im sure majority would agree to it. However for example in Saudi/India/Bangladesh/Pakistan 95% would disagree to it. Don't get me wrong, there are many homosexuals in these countries but yeah. I do apoligise if I have offended any homosexuals on here. I'm just against it and I have no hate towards the person, just the sin :smile:

So what makes homosexuality a sin? If you say the Qur'an, isn't that written by men and not God?
Reply 369
So what makes homosexuality a sin? If you say the Qur'an, isn't that written by men and not God?

The Qu'ran was sent by God and given to the prophet Muhammed PBUH. From an islamic perspective, its forbidden. I am not going to state any evidence on here as I do not know any by heart. But a google search wont hurt
Original post by imran_
The Qu'ran was sent by God and given to the prophet Muhammed PBUH. From an islamic perspective, its forbidden. I am not going to state any evidence on here as I do not know any by heart. But a google search wont hurt

If you don't know any evidence yourself, why do you believe it? Do you believe everything you're told? A healthy dose of scepticism is, well, healthy.
Reply 371
If you don't know any evidence yourself, why do you believe it? Do you believe everything you're told? A healthy dose of scepticism is, well, healthy.

Its stated in the Quran mate. I haven't memorised it by heard. Lmao, who said I believe everything thats on the internet? I only advised you to search it up. If you still dont believe it I highly recommend you visit several mosques, you're welcome to ask questions and they will provide you with the evidence.
Original post by imran_
The Qu'ran was sent by God and given to the prophet Muhammed PBUH.

And you know this how? Because that's what it says in the book? Is there any actual evidence that God sent the material of it to Muhammed?
Original post by imran_

Many of the reasons why homosexuality is considered taboo ( it never was at the time of prophet Mohammedﷺ mind!) is because it is seen as infidelity, ie sexual intercourse between two unmarried couples.

There is scope within the Islamic tradition to allow same-sex nika'h ( marriage) and this is something imams, scholars ( alims) and gay Muslims are discussing.

Your saying of the Prophet Mohammedﷺ to 'not argue even if you're in the wrong' does not exist in ANY of the Hadith literature brother, and it actually goes against a Qur'anic injunction to speak the truth even if it is against yourself.
Reply 374
And you know this how? Because that's what it says in the book? Is there any actual evidence that God sent the material of it to Muhammed?

Yep, its written in the Quran.
Original post by imran_
Yep, its written in the Quran.

I don't think you see the point I'm trying to make. I could write a book and claim God sent it to me. That doesn't make it true.

I think this discussion is more relevant in another forum.
Reply 377
I don't think you see the point I'm trying to make. I could write a book and claim God sent it to me. That doesn't make it true.

You cannot tell me my beliefs are wrong if you have not studied Islam. @ the guy above he probably is more knowledgeable than me. If you're against islam then that is all on you. What religion are you?
Original post by imran_
You cannot tell me my beliefs are wrong if you have not studied Islam. @ the guy above he probably is more knowledgeable than me. If you're against islam then that is all on you. What religion are you?

I'm of no particular religion, and I'm not against Islam per se. I just like to know why people believe what they do, it's rather fascinating.

I'm not saying your beliefs are wrong. I just want to know why you believe them, if that makes any sense.
Original post by Jhansen23
I think this discussion is more relevant in another forum.

It's related to the topic being discussed. It's fine here for the time being.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending