The Student Room Group

OCR Media Studies G325 – Wednesday June 8th 2016

Surprised that no one has made this thread yet; the exam's in a week. :erm:

How confident do you feel about each question?

What topic are you going to answer for section B?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not very confident yourself?
Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 16.28.12.png
I'm feeling pretty confident- it's the exam I'm most confident with anyway XD

Made a lil table to help with predictions- I think it will be creativity and audience.

Good luck everyone:3
Reply 3
Original post by IzzyWatkins

Made a lil table to help with predictions- I think it will be creativity and audience.

Wish i had your enthusiasm for the exam. Any tips on how to structure this? Not quite sure how to incporate the theories into part B for question 1.
Original post by Ikky786
Wish i had your enthusiasm for the exam. Any tips on how to structure this? Not quite sure how to incporate the theories into part B for question 1.

Looking at exemplars, the intro can be as simple as. 'I am going to analyse my advanced portfolio coursework, a music video to the Shinedown song, 'Her Name is Alice' in relation to audience'

I tend to structure each point like so...

Theorist+theory: Andrew Goodwin describes the relationship between music and visuals in his book ‘Dancing in the distraction factory’.

Applying it/ subverting it: I chose to amplify the lyrics about a young woman who ‘drank wine and took pills’, taking it further and placing her in a mental asylum.

Bit short but you know what I mean. Don't over complicate it basically!
Reply 5
Looking at exemplars, the intro can be as simple as. 'I am going to analyse my advanced portfolio coursework, a music video to the Shinedown song, 'Her Name is Alice' in relation to audience'

I tend to structure each point like so...

Theorist+theory: Andrew Goodwin describes the relationship between music and visuals in his book ‘Dancing in the distraction factory’.

Applying it/ subverting it: I chose to amplify the lyrics about a young woman who ‘drank wine and took pills’, taking it further and placing her in a mental asylum.

Bit short but you know what I mean. Don't over complicate it basically!

I see thanks for that, how much theorist would you recommend including in the question? 3 to 4?. What you studying for section B? I am studying Media in the Online Age
Original post by Ikky786
I see thanks for that, how much theorist would you recommend including in the question? 3 to 4?. What you studying for section B? I am studying Media in the Online Age

I tend to use between 6-8. A tip I would give is don't explain the theory- in examiners reports that is what OCR got annoyed with. Literally just apply it to your piece of work.

i.e. don't write 'Roland Barthes' semic code suggests that images have hidden images/ connotations.'

do write: 'I apply the use of Roland Barthes' semic code through my image of a broken mirror. The mirror could suggest a deeper meaning, such as Alice losing her sense of identity.
Reply 7
I tend to use between 6-8. A tip I would give is don't explain the theory- in examiners reports that is what OCR got annoyed with. Literally just apply it to your piece of work.

i.e. don't write 'Roland Barthes' semic code suggests that images have hidden images/ connotations.'

do write: 'I apply the use of Roland Barthes' semic code through my image of a broken mirror. The mirror could suggest a deeper meaning, such as Alice losing her sense of identity.

Thanks for the tip on that, is it also a good idea to also mention how you video does not incorporate some aspects of some theories?
Original post by Ikky786
Thanks for the tip on that, is it also a good idea to also mention how you video does not incorporate some aspects of some theories?

It depends really, I wouldn't structure a whole essay on 'I know this theory and this theory but I don't use it'.

You could use it in this sort of way, for example, when writing about audience.

"Most media text use Todorov's Theory of Equilibrium as a convention- by having a sense of disequilibrium throughout my music video, my audience don't feel a sense of familiarity and are forced into an active, 'on-edge' position while viewing the video."
Reply 9
What predictions are people making, and how could you revise? Kinda worried of what to expect!
Reply 10

Just occured to me, isn't it unlikely that they would put creativity on its own?
Original post by Renamon
Just occured to me, isn't it unlikely that they would put creativity on its own?

Yeah- I remember one past paper was asking about how you used creativity in post production. I'd like that tbh.
Reply 12

Little test for you:

Name some theories for representation, each with a relevant comment on your work.
Reply 13
Yeah- I remember one past paper was asking about how you used creativity in post production. I'd like that tbh.

Yeah, I revised that one along with creativity + technology today actually.
Original post by louisb8
What predictions are people making, and how could you revise? Kinda worried of what to expect!

For Section 1A my predictions is creativity in research and planning, or digital technology

Section 1B definitely either audience or media language! (like i've said in previous threads)

Hoping it's audience so much lolll
What subject is everyone doing for section B? I'm doing the collective identity one.

Also I feel like I'm the only person who didn't do a music video for either AS or A2, all the OCR examples are of them too haha!
Original post by AdamThePhysicsMo
What subject is everyone doing for section B? I'm doing the collective identity one.

Also I feel like I'm the only person who didn't do a music video for either AS or A2, all the OCR examples are of them too haha!

For Section B I'm doing contemporary media regulation, seems like no one else is doing it!><

You're not alone pal, I didn't do a music video for AS or A2. For AS I constructed a music mag front cover, contents page and double page spread, and A2 I made a horror package, of a horror trailer, horror magazine front cover and horror poster!
Original post by ThatGirlJemma
For Section B I'm doing contemporary media regulation, seems like no one else is doing it!><

You're not alone pal, I didn't do a music video for AS or A2. For AS I constructed a music mag front cover, contents page and double page spread, and A2 I made a horror package, of a horror trailer, horror magazine front cover and horror poster!

Snap! For A2 i also did a horror! (But a magazine review, poster and short film!)
I feel like horror gives a lot to talk about for section A

Just a shame I know nothing about my section B!
Original post by AdamThePhysicsMo
Snap! For A2 i also did a horror! (But a magazine review, poster and short film!)
I feel like horror gives a lot to talk about for section A

Just a shame I know nothing about my section B!

Definitely, especially for representation! (e.g. like the final girl, monstrous feminine, you know;D)

And aw shame I cannot help, it seems like people on TSR this year are all doing something different
Reply 19
Yeah i'm doing collective identity for q2 (scottish)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending