The Student Room Group

BBC turns down trainees because they are WHITE.

Job applicants accused the BBC of racial discrimination after being turned down for roles because they are white.

The broadcaster advertised for two junior script writers on 12-month trainee schemes, one of which offered the opportunity to work on hospital drama Holby City in London.

But applicants were outraged when HR bosses replied to applications saying that they were only open to people from 'ethnic minority backgrounds'.

The corporation said the move was to address an 'under-representation of people from ethnic minority backgrounds in script editing roles'.

But one unsuccessful applicant accused them of flouting their own anti-discrimination rules by not granting him an interview based on his white ethnicity.

The 26-year-old, a media graduate, said: 'It's racial discrimination to disregard someone based on them being any race.

'It's just wrong and as far as I know it is illegal. Coming from the BBC, it's amazing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3621658/BBC-turn-trainees-WHITE-Job-applicants-stunned-told-corporation-wants-people-ethnic-minority-backgrounds.html

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WhiteMan16

The 26-year-old, a media graduate, said: 'It's racial discrimination to disregard someone based on them being any race.

I guess that must be what it is like to be of ethnic origin? Although I am surprised the BBC were so open about it.
Reply 2
If you are born white you are at an immediate disadvantage in the UK, and if you're Christian and straight too then you're buggered.
This is called positive action rather than positive discrimination. Imagine there are very few men working in child care. And it's thought a good idea to get more men into child care. One solution might be to have a recruitment fair, another could be a study as to what factors stop them choosing this career. And another might be an internship or a training scheme.
hahahahahahahahha daily mail
Reply 5
Original post by WhiteMan16
Job applicants accused the BBC of racial discrimination after being turned down for roles because they are white.

The broadcaster advertised for two junior script writers on 12-month trainee schemes, one of which offered the opportunity to work on hospital drama Holby City in London.

But applicants were outraged when HR bosses replied to applications saying that they were only open to people from 'ethnic minority backgrounds'.

The corporation said the move was to address an 'under-representation of people from ethnic minority backgrounds in script editing roles'.

But one unsuccessful applicant accused them of flouting their own anti-discrimination rules by not granting him an interview based on his white ethnicity.

'It's just wrong and as far as I know it is illegal. Coming from the BBC, it's amazing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3621658/BBC-turn-trainees-WHITE-Job-applicants-stunned-told-corporation-wants-people-ethnic-minority-backgrounds.html

must be so hard to be judged based on race
Original post by Mathemagicien
The BBC wants a disproportionately high (higher than general population) proportion of 'on-air' employees to be minorities. And lets not argue semantics, the only discrimination that should be allowed is by merit.

It isnt an argument in just semantics as they mean different things under the Equalities Act. One is illegal. Hard to say as its a DM article that doesnt link the actual advert, so am very sceptical.

It sounds like Creative Access again, but of they dont link the original, then hard to say.
Original post by Normaleila
This is called positive action rather than positive discrimination. Imagine there are very few men working in child care. And it's thought a good idea to get more men into child care. One solution might be to have a recruitment fair, another could be a study as to what factors stop them choosing this career. And another might be an internship or a training scheme.

Sorry but men in child care I'm told are creeps. :\ It's probably why women are hired as social workers, carers, etc for that "maternal" thing they've got going on, supposedly, so men might want to get into that field but it's...iffy...to hire them. 8/10 they're nonces.
Original post by ATW1
If you are born white you are at an immediate disadvantage in the UK, and if you're Christian and straight too then you're buggered.

How are you at an "immediate disadvantage"? Ethnic minorities face substantially more discrimination in the UK.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Its legal to buy pepperspray in Germany, so long as you claim its 'not to use against humans'. Its okay to use it if you are being assaulted, if you 'only happened to have it at hand'.

Its not, however, legal to buy pepperspray in Germany, with the intent of using it in case you are ever assaulted.

The distinctions in this case and the case of the pepperspray are meaningless, but good for lawyers' incomes, I guess

Not really, they mean different things in law and they have different consequences.
Yet again BBC aiming for attention in the news...
There is a severe shortage of ethnic minority commissioning editors and heads of HR. I wonder if they are willing to step aside for Black people to take their roles or is it just other peoples jobs that they want to give away?
Original post by TimeTravel_0
How are you at an "immediate disadvantage"? Ethnic minorities face substantially more discrimination in the UK.

We face substantially more discrimination in their country of origin.
Reply 13
Well, we all know that the BBC loves BBC.
Original post by sainsburys wraps
hahahahahahahahha daily mail

lol delusional
Original post by 0to100
Sorry but men in child care I'm told are creeps. :\ It's probably why women are hired as social workers, carers, etc for that "maternal" thing they've got going on, supposedly, so men might want to get into that field but it's...iffy...to hire them. 8/10 they're nonces.

Don't believe everything you're told. My daughter'snursery has a great male carer.
Don't believe everything you're told. My daughter'snursery has a great male carer.

Excuse me? I know people who have been abused in care.
Reply 17
Original post by Lacesso
Well, we all know that the BBC loves BBC.

:wink::biggrin::colondollar:
Original post by Jebedee
We face substantially more discrimination in their country of origin.

What is 'their country '? We're mainly talking about British ethic minority applicants. This is 'their country '.
What is 'their country '? We're mainly talking about British ethic minority applicants. This is 'their country '.

I guess we disagree on the line between native and citizen then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending