The Student Room Group

Forgetfulness

Ok so I have been pretty forgetful for the majority of my life. Let's say since I was in primary school (I'm 15 now). But I feel, because I am getting older, the more my forgetfulness is impacting me. For example when I leave home to go somewhere late in the day and my parents tell me to ring them when I arrive I have 8/10 forgotten to do it. I'm scared that it is gonna be a real problem for me in my later life and I have no idea what to do. It's like I even tell myself that I am going to remember to do it but then I ALWAYS seem to forget. What do I do????

P.S. I didn't know where to post this so since I am a depressed person I guess I posted it here. Does depression relate to forgetfulness?
Original post by Anonymous
Ok so I have been pretty forgetful for the majority of my life. Let's say since I was in primary school (I'm 15 now). But I feel, because I am getting older, the more my forgetfulness is impacting me. For example when I leave home to go somewhere late in the day and my parents tell me to ring them when I arrive I have 8/10 forgotten to do it. I'm scared that it is gonna be a real problem for me in my later life and I have no idea what to do. It's like I even tell myself that I am going to remember to do it but then I ALWAYS seem to forget. What do I do????

P.S. I didn't know where to post this so since I am a depressed person I guess I posted it here. Does depression relate to forgetfulness?

I think if there's a relationship between depression and forgetfulness it's depression causing forgetfulness, not the other way around. Could be a brain's way of forgetting emotional pain idk. When I've been in low periods my memory has been a lot weaker.

If you want to improve memory, try using techniques like memory palaces/loci etc.

Won't be able to explain here but if you google memory techniques many of them are very applicable to every day stuff. Honestly if you're just forgetful that's fine and lots of people who have actually quite strong memories are 'forgetful' in various ways.

Quick Reply

Latest