The Student Room Group

I never get my own space.

People walk into my room without knocking all the time.

When I'm having a bad day I just want to relax and have some space to calm down, but I can never get it. People seem to care about how I should feel and not how I feel myself and I get really riled up.

My sister makes it worse by being cruel and bullying because she knows things I can't take.

I don't know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How old are you? Will you be able to move out soon?
Stop washing, nobody will want to come near you then.
Reply 3
Original post by WoodyMKC
Stop washing, nobody will want to come near you then.

It would get worse, believe me.
Get a lock for your door.
Reply 5
Original post by eden3
How old are you? Will you be able to move out soon?

I'm 20. Back at home for the summer. I've got 4 months of this. The only time I will be away is for my job.

The same thing happened last year.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Get a lock for your door.

My parents down want locks on doors unless it's a bathroom.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 20. Back at home for the summer. I've got 4 months of this. The only time I will be away is for my job.

The same thing happened last year.

Ah I see. I'm sorry to hear that - it seems like there's not much you can do here, apart from spend as much time outdoors as possible (which I know is kinda counter-intuitive since you want your 'own space').

I find it weird your privacy is not being respected.
Spend more time with the family, if you're just chilling stay downstairs and interact with people. But make sure to everybody, that when you're not there, you really don't want to be disturbed
Reply 9
Original post by eden3
Ah I see. I'm sorry to hear that - it seems like there's not much you can do here, apart from spend as much time outdoors as possible (which I know is kinda counter-intuitive since you want your 'own space':wink:.

I find it weird your privacy is not being respected.

Well my 'own space' does include being outdoors too :smile:

I just hate the fact I have to come back and be in such a volatile environment. No one here seems to think anything is wrong - even if it's staring them in the face.
Original post by Vicky628
Spend more time with the family, if you're just chilling stay downstairs and interact with people. But make sure to everybody, that when you're not there, you really don't want to be disturbed

My mum's working everyday... she comes home, gets drunk and goes to bed. The only person I can hang with is my 11 year old sister.

No one knows what 'don't disturb' or 'space' means here.
Reply 11
Well my 'own space' does include being outdoors too :smile:

I just hate the fact I have to come back and be in such a volatile environment. No one here seems to think anything is wrong - even if it's staring them in the face.

I know this feeling all too well... :frown:
My parents down want locks on doors unless it's a bathroom.

A temporary lock like this
[video="youtube;zncnvGO5BYM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zncnvGO5BYM[/video]

About £5, alternatively get a door wedge so they cnat just barge in. Its temporary so no screws or damage.

Have a word with your parents and ask them to knock.
Throw stinkbombs at them every time they come in. They won't be so willing to enter at all then. nevermind knocking first.

Failing that, throw spiders at them. No-one goes near people who throw spiders around.

alternatively get a door wedge so they cnat just barge in. Its temporary so no screws or damage.

This is much better advice than flinging spiders at them. Do this instead.
A temporary lock like this
[video="youtube;zncnvGO5BYM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zncnvGO5BYM[/video]

About £5, alternatively get a door wedge so they cnat just barge in. Its temporary so no screws or damage.

Have a word with your parents and ask them to knock.

I'll look into that lock thing, what is it called?
I broke/took off my door handle so you couldn't open it from the outside and only from the inside when I was going through a phase. the perfect solution. plus I just threw the handle somewhere so it took them a while.
http://www.vagabondjourney.com/howsar-temporary-quick-lock-review/
Called a Howsar lock, you can get them on Amazon or ebay, but tbh a door wedge will work as well.
Just tell your parents you wish they would knock rather than just barging in.

If people respected your privacy as they do in many families, then you wouldnt need a lock and they would just knock.
http://www.vagabondjourney.com/howsar-temporary-quick-lock-review/
Called a Howsar lock, you can get them on Amazon or ebay, but tbh a door wedge will work as well.
Just tell your parents you wish they would knock rather than just barging in.

If people respected your privacy as they do in many families, then you wouldnt need a lock and they would just knock.

I've ordered myself one, it's coming tomorrow.

I had a word with my mum about the significance of knocking, but she did it again earlier when I was getting changed.

Somehow I'm getting blamed for it lol, which makes no sense.
Are you me?
This sounds exactly what I'm going through at home (except I don't have a sister).

I'm not sure what to suggest really.
Just try and keep to yourself and avoid everyone as much as you can. That's about all I scan say I'm afraid.
That's what I do!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending