The Student Room Group

Do you think multiculturism/mass immigration has been good for this country?

Scroll to see replies

Some Immigration Good. Too much Immigration Horrible.
Multiculturalism Good. Too much Multiculturalism Horrible.
There are levels to these things and like a lot of things it needs to be balanced, it should feel like it compliments the local/national culture not that it tries to change or destroy it.
Original post by karl pilkington
Immigrant haven't built anything we can survive and prosper without them we don't need them in any way. Also no one is blaming them for anything the question is are you a fan of multiculturism.

Yes, I'm a fan of multiculturalism.
I would say that a lot of immigrants are not accepting in the sense that if you look at a lot of immigrant areas they kind of become no go areas for white british people. Futhermore the minority is kind of incorrect. In London foreign cultures and people are now the majority. Also I can find enough diversity and differences of opinion amongst my fellow englishmen I don't need it to be imported form elsewhere.

No such thing as a no go area. Where are you getting that from?
Original post by TimeTravel_0
No such thing as a no go area. Where are you getting that from?

places that I have walked through and told not to walk through by Pakistanis as it is an 'asian area'
Original post by TimeTravel_0
Yes, I'm a fan of multiculturalism.
Don't feed the troll. He's trolling so hard lol. No intelligent human being can argue that multiculturalism/ mass immigration is bad for a country's economy. Without immigration the english economy would've flopped decades ago..we're just an island for gods sake lol.

You want no immigration and homogenous population? Take a nice big look at Japan and how rubbish its historically recession ridden economy is. They have what we're now facing "brain block". No immigration from asia = no Indian/ Chinese doctors, scientists ..nerds...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Themini
Don't feed the troll. He's trolling so hard lol. No intelligent human being can argue that multiculturalism/ mass immigration is bad for a country's economy. Without immigration the english economy would've flopped decades ago..we're just an island for gods sake lol.

You want no immigration and homogenous population? Take a nice big look at Japan and how rubbish its historically recession ridden economy is. They have what we're now facing "brain block". No immigration from asia = no Indian/ Chinese doctors, scientists ..nerds...

no I have already posted that immigration has no economic benefits also Japan is an interesting case in that they do indeed need immigrants and are resisting to maintain their own culture/identity. However they also have a low birthrate and a lot of their economic woes are nothing to do with immigration. Also as I said earlier even if it does benefit us economically I would still be against it. Also the idea about our economy flopping years ago is sheer nonsense.
no I have already posted that immigration has no economic benefits also Japan is an interesting case in that they do indeed need immigrants and are resisting to maintain their own culture/identity. However they also have a low birthrate and a lot of their economic woes are nothing to do with immigration. Also as I said earlier even if it does benefit us economically I would still be against it. Also the idea about our economy flopping years ago is sheer nonsense.

"no I have already posted that immigration has no economic benefits"
"Japan is an interesting case in that they do indeed need immigrants"

Mixed messages? Make your mind up mate
Reply 47
Original post by BaronK
300,000+ is too little? What would be an ideal number?

Somewhere around 1 million a year, perhaps. I'd also like to see more low-skilled immigration than high-skilled immigration because too much high-skilled immigration can hurt immigrant-sending countries. This may or may have to be combined with things such as taxing immigration and restricting access of immigrants to some public services.
Reply 48
Original post by viddy9
Somewhere around 1 million a year, perhaps. I'd also like to see more low-skilled immigration than high-skilled immigration because too much high-skilled immigration can hurt immigrant-sending countries. This may or may have to be combined with things such as taxing immigration and restricting access of immigrants to some public services.

A million a year seems totally sustainable.
Reply 49
Original post by BaronK
A million a year seems totally sustainable.

To expand on that a bit more, I would probably raise immigration levels even further, in fact, perhaps gradually to an annual intake of around 4% of the population per year. I would probably tax immigration and restrict access to some public services and other rights; indeed, voting rights could be restricted to immigrants until they've been in the country for, say, 15 years. This would minimise any fiscal impact of low-skilled immigration on the public purse even further, and income from the surtaxes would more than compensate for any inconvenience to natives, and this whole project would also create an economic boom in manufacturing and construction. Some of this intake would be through guest worker programs.

The only barriers would be political: there's plenty of room in Britain for more people - indeed, we've built on less than 3% of the UK's land.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending