The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Level Government and Politics: People and Politics Mon 6 Jun AM

Scroll to see replies

I've got classics at the same time rip, and I need to start revising but I think just learning some assembly results and stuff will do :tongue:
Reply 21
Original post by balanced
I've got classics at the same time rip, and I need to start revising but I think just learning some assembly results and stuff will do :tongue:

Yeah what assembly results you learning?
To fit in with what question ?
Original post by xxvine
Yeah what assembly results you learning?
To fit in with what question ?

Welsh assembly results

Because when saying that instead of FPTP we should have AMS, I can say that it supports smaller parties via the regional seats, such as UKIP who gained all of their 7 seats from regional seats.

hey do you have your unit 2 revision guide ?

hey also what are you predictions for unit 1?
Original post by cocapopsxx
hey also what are you predictions for unit 1?

Firstly, choose your section on the 25 marker.

I'm only going to predict the electoral systems and party politics questions

party politics 25 marker:
Most likely: Conservative party - still Thatcherist
likely: Internal division within the major political parties

elections
most likely: Should the Uk use FPTP
Likely: Should the UK use a different electoral system.
Reply 26

elections

came up last year that question

i reckon it will be different elections produce different outcomes

elections

My teacher said for the political parties section that for a 25 mark question they are most likely to ask about the coalition this year's paper or next year.

I hope something like Labour comes up but it's very unlikely.
Reply 28
Retaking unit 1 this year, since I managed to bomb the stupidly easy questions in unit 1 2015

Haven't really done any work for it, but flicked through last year's textbook and it actually looks really nice, especially since each topic doesn't really have much content. Will probably cram on Sunday while worrying about my lack of knowledge of the A2 gov pol course content (while not doing anything about it).
Reply 29
Original post by XiuXiu
Retaking unit 1 this year, since I managed to bomb the stupidly easy questions in unit 1 2015

Haven't really done any work for it, but flicked through last year's textbook and it actually looks really nice, especially since each topic doesn't really have much content. Will probably cram on Sunday while worrying about my lack of knowledge of the A2 gov pol course content (while not doing anything about it).

Are you doing ideologies?
Last year was kinda easy actually lol
Reply 30
Original post by xxvine
Are you doing ideologies?
Last year was kinda easy actually lol

I wish. I'm doing the US, which is basically just remembering every action of every president. Ton of content, none of it very interesting. I know more already, and am much more interested in learning more about ideology; that's a lot of what I took politics to learn about in the first place really. Hope I can scrape by it by doing really well in the AS retake. Haven't really enjoyed the course at all this year.

How was the ideology course? Was it interesting, or just a case for me of the grass being greener on the other side?
Reply 31
Original post by XiuXiu
I wish. I'm doing the US, which is basically just remembering every action of every president. Ton of content, none of it very interesting. I know more already, and am much more interested in learning more about ideology; that's a lot of what I took politics to learn about in the first place really. Hope I can scrape by it by doing really well in the AS retake. Haven't really enjoyed the course at all this year.

How was the ideology course? Was it interesting, or just a case for me of the grass being greener on the other side?

Do not say that
I'm doing ideologies and I hate it
It's like a memory test tbh
I'm dreading the exam....it's really hard and it feels more like sociology than politics
America seems so much easier...and I think it's easier to get higher marks
What grade you hoping for?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by xxvine
Do not say that
I'm doing ideologies and I hate it
It's like a memory test tbh
I'm dreading the exam....it's really hard and it feels more like sociology than politics
America seems so much easier...and I think it's easier to get higher marks
What grade you hoping for?

I assume they're both as memory test-esque as one another. I guess the difference to me is that I actually care about more ideological issues more than how diabolical the whole US political system is. Fancy switching papers? I'll do yours and you can do mine

Looking at your past papers it seems less nice than I initially thought though, tbh. All identity politics and defining fancy words over actual political theory. It does look very Sociology. Still better than memorizing every aspect of the US constitution etc (imo)

Need a B to get into uni (English/History split @ East Anglia), A in English should be really easy but unsure about other two, ESPECIALLY gov. Yourself?
Reply 33
Original post by XiuXiu
I assume they're both as memory test-esque as one another. I guess the difference to me is that I actually care about more ideological issues more than how diabolical the whole US political system is. Fancy switching papers? I'll do yours and you can do mine

Looking at your past papers it seems less nice than I initially thought though, tbh. All identity politics and defining fancy words over actual political theory. It does look very Sociology. Still better than memorizing every aspect of the US constitution etc (imo)

Need a B to get into uni (English/History split @ East Anglia), A in English should be really easy but unsure about other two, ESPECIALLY gov. Yourself?

Same I need a B as well.. want to go to SOAS hopefully!

What did you get for AS politics?

I am really trying to do well in the resit so I can have more leeway if A2 goes horribly....
How are you memorising everything and you nervous for Monday lol?
Reply 34
Good luck!! Don't know anybody that's heading over there but hope you enjoy it when you ace these gov exams

Can't even remember tbh. C maybe? I got like an A on unit 2 and an E on unit 1, so yeah I hope its less of a disaster this time. Are you doing both units or just the one?

Not really nervous, probably will be over the weekend just because it's my first exam of the year. Haven't done much work on it, but I had a flip through and honestly it's almost a joy to actually understand some things, the UK system is so much less of a mess. Plan to only really revise elections and democracy, but to know everything about them and be able to answer any question (FPTP and democratic deficit essays would be lovely). I think I could write a better essay on it today than I could last year for sure

Do you mean the A2 as far as memorizing stuff goes? If so I'm not yet - not really. Have a ton to go through on it, but I'm usually able to pull off 10 hour cramming sessions the few nights before, so I think I'll be able to get stuff done when I'm in true panic mode

How are you coping? Worried at all?
Reply 35
Original post by XiuXiu

I'm going to be doing the exact same haha! Retaking as well, I'm thinking I am going to just do two topics? Is anyone else just revising two topics for unit 1?
Reply 36
Anyone got predictions for Democracy and Pressure Groups?
Reply 37
Original post by Sapz_9
I'm going to be doing the exact same haha! Retaking as well, I'm thinking I am going to just do two topics? Is anyone else just revising two topics for unit 1?

Both me and xxvine (i think) are doing mostly democracy + elections. Will have a look over pressure groups too in case of horrid questions, but should be alright
Reply 38
How did everybody find that? Thought it was ****. The EU participation question was a nasty surprise
Reply 39
Original post by jinzy
How did everybody find that? Thought it was ****. The EU participation question was a nasty surprise

Yeah exactly! I wanna cry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending