The Student Room Group

boyfriend problems :(

Hi TSR,

Me and my boyfriend have been having problems recently. We have been arguing and disagreeing with each other A LOT. We are both under a lot of pressure at the moment as we have just left sixth form and will be going to different unis. We have In the past had the normal ups and downs in our relationship but these past few months have been terrible:/ . We argue about the smallest things and we are both so stubborn:frown: and when I go to say sorry and be the bigger person we usually manage to settle it but last night we got into an argument and when I went to apologise he just said "he's had enough". Now I dont know if its because he's got exams and he is just stressed out because he is not sure if he will get into Kings ( which is the university he is desperate to go to) or its because we are slowly growing apart :frown: so I decided its best to block him ad delete his number until after the exams to see if he still feels the same way after them (as I will see him at prom)
Is it more likely to be because of the pressure of the exams or is it likely to be because we just are slowly growing apart :frown: I really hope not.
We have bee together almost 4 years. So I hope our 'break up' is not long term
Thanks in advance
Original post by 30.10.12
Hi TSR,

Me and my boyfriend have been having problems recently. We have been arguing and disagreeing with each other A LOT. We are both under a lot of pressure at the moment as we have just left sixth form and will be going to different unis. We have In the past had the normal ups and downs in our relationship but these past few months have been terrible:/ . We argue about the smallest things and we are both so stubborn:frown: and when I go to say sorry and be the bigger person we usually manage to settle it but last night we got into an argument and when I went to apologise he just said "he's had enough". Now I dont know if its because he's got exams and he is just stressed out because he is not sure if he will get into Kings ( which is the university he is desperate to go to) or its because we are slowly growing apart :frown: so I decided its best to block him ad delete his number until after the exams to see if he still feels the same way after them (as I will see him at prom)
Is it more likely to be because of the pressure of the exams or is it likely to be because we just are slowly growing apart :frown: I really hope not.
We have bee together almost 4 years. So I hope our 'break up' is not long term
Thanks in advance

Hey, hope your okay:smile: . It's more likely to be due to exam pressure, as it's a really important time of year for both of you. Don't worry, and maybe you should let him know how you feel about the situation - why he feels that why, what's affecting him etc. Best of luck with the exams and hope your relationship is back on track, and always remember if it's been 4 years so far, your going strong:h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by alishba-rosex
Hey, hope your okay:smile: . It's more likely to be due to exam pressure, as it's a really important time of year for both of you. Don't worry, and maybe you should let him know how you feel about the situation - a heart to heart as silly as that sounds. Best of luck with the exams and hope your relationship is back on track, and always remember if it's been 4 years so far, your going strong:h:

thanks for your reply, yeah 4 years is a long time and despite the arguments I wouldn't change my time with him. I hope to god its just the exams but I do want to be there for him during these difficult periods because it makes me sad to see him stressing out so maybe a break would be good, thanks for the reply again
Original post by 30.10.12
thanks for your reply, yeah 4 years is a long time and despite the arguments I wouldn't change my time with him. I hope to god its just the exams but I do want to be there for him during these difficult periods because it makes me sad to see him stressing out so maybe a break would be good, thanks for the reply again

No problem, and I agree with you
Reply 4
Original post by Abirella
Ohh I am soo sorry that you have to go through that right now.
But I do think the best solution right now is to take a break from each other, especially because of the exam stress.
However you should talk to him afterwards and sort things out, you have been together with him for 4 years and that's a long time.
If he does not love you anymore then I think it is best to breakup but I do not know about that, you have to find out if he still has feelings for you.

yeah you are probably right, in the past he has preferred to keep distance from me during difficult times and stressful tines. But I would like to be there for him and its so hard to do that when he pushes me away :frown: thanks so much for the reply
Reply 5
I know a few couples that are taking a break over exam periods with full intention of getting back together afterwards.

It's a good idea :cute:
Argyung during exams is very silly. You should just give each other space imo. Bloccking and deleting si more likely just to confirm his feelings.
Call a truce and deal with it after, dont add to each others woes.

You might find you have run your course and Uni is a fresh start for both of you. This is very common.
Reply 7
Original post by Alexion
I know a few couples that are taking a break over exam periods with full intention of getting back together afterwards.

It's a good idea :cute:

Yeah it does seem like a good idea for the situation, thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Argyung during exams is very silly. You should just give each other space imo. Bloccking and deleting si more likely just to confirm his feelings.
Call a truce and deal with it after, dont add to each others woes.

You might find you have run your course and Uni is a fresh start for both of you. This is very common.

thank you for the reply, yes I agree, we are just going to take a break I think:smile:
me and my boyfriend of nearly 3 years have also been bickering SO much during our exams. We have argued now and again, but at the minute it just feels constant and I've just learnt that it is just because of exams. Exam period is a really selfish time and its very easy to become really self-centred, and rightly so!! If we are both in narky moods now we just turn around to each other and say so and then just watch something together or test each other on some revision and soon enough we'll feel better after a few minutes. Maybe some space would be good and really give you two the opportunity to just miss each other and soon enough everything will be back to normal. Exam time is a really weird time period but it'll be over soon x
So, let me get this straight.

You and your boyfriend have an argument, which is understandable, given how you're both under a lot of pressure, and after a few uncomfortable words exchanged, you block him and delete his number? And you think that it's going to make the situation better or improve it in any way? You think that you're going to get through this thing unscathed? No, you're not. He might have said something negative, yes, but you blocked him, you ended it.

I suggest you talk to him properly and go over it. No matter how stressed you are, or how much you have to study, you should be able to talk in a respectful and loving manner. If you can't - break it off, go your own way. Neither of you seem mature enough to handle a serious relationship and this situation only proves it further.

Quick Reply