The Student Room Group

Do you have ambition? Do you have idea? What do you want to do with your life? (POLL)

Poll

Do you know what to do with your life?

Hi,
I'm posting this because it's the way I feel, and I figured I couldn't be the only one. Recently, I realised I'm just going through the motions. I don't have any passion for my degree, I just thought it was the right thing to do after graduating school.

Now, I'm in the final year of my degree, come september. I always thought I had ambition, I always try hard to get good grades and try to have a positive outlook, but now I realise the last few years has been more about grades and less about reality. Now I just feel lost, now I seperated my grades and thought about a life of working in the field I study in. It's not a life I want to follow, but now I don't know what life to follow. So, in my reality check, I wanted to see who felt the same, hence the poll above.

Thanks for anyone who responds and answers the poll :smile:.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatguy170296
Hi,
I'm posting this because it's the way I feel, and I figured I couldn't be the only one. Recently, I realised I'm just going through the motions. I don't have any passion for my degree, I just thought it was the right thing to do after graduating school.

Now, I'm in the final year of my degree, come september. I always thought I had ambition, I always try hard to get good grades and try to have a positive outlook, but now I realise the last few years has been more about grades and less about reality. Now I just feel lost, now I seperated my grades and thought about a life of working in the field I study in. It's not a life I want to follow, but now I don't know what life to follow. So, in my reality check, I wanted to see who felt the same, hence the poll below.

Thanks for anyone who responds and answers the poll :smile:.

where is the poll?
Original post by ODES_PDES
where is the poll?

Up now! :smile:
Yes I do, and I'm determined to achieve it
I'm excited for the future
Original post by Nursey_nurse
Yes I do, and I'm determined to achieve it
I'm excited for the future

Are you training to become a nurse
Reply 5
I know what you mean. I dropped a year in 6th form and although it was the hardest thing to do i'm really thankful for it now i think. I actually know where i want to go a little bit more . Its gonna be hard when my friends leave to uni in September but i'm glad i gave myself a second chance and now instead of just going with the norms i actually know the course i want to get to and to work hard for it and the kinda job i want after it :smile: i think there is too much emphasis on just going to uni rather than going to uni for a reason and it makes me sad that people don't get to live life a little more and explore to decide what they want to do.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Are you training to become a nurse

Yeah 👌
Hoping to go into media production, but that could change bc I've never been one to stick on one path. I guess I have ambition, it's motivation that I'm lacking really.
Original post by Samonia
I know what you mean. I dropped a year in 6th form and although it was the hardest thing to do i'm really thankful for it now i think. I actually know where i want to go a little bit more . Its gonna be hard when my friends leave to uni in September but i'm glad i gave myself a second chance and now instead of just going with the norms i actually know the course i want to get to and to work hard for it and the kinda job i want after it :smile: i think there is too much emphasis on just going to uni rather than going to uni for a reason and it makes me sad that people don't get to live life a little more and explore to decide what they want to do.

too true, wish I'd taken a gap year before uni.
I don't have ambition. I do have persistence though. When i get to college and do some exploration then I'll know my passion.
Original post by thatguy170296
too true, wish I'd taken a gap year before uni.

I wish it was more the normal thing to take a gap year then people could learn to be grown up and get a job etc. before Uni. i think it would mean more people would do a course in the job they wanted rather than what sounds awesome at 18
Go to LSE
Become an IB
Be balling like a sphere

That's the plan at least.
My only real ambition is to settle down and start a family. Apparently that makes me a shame to womankind.
Redesign the combustion engine to run off something sustainable, honestly I feel that something so well mechanically designed would be a loss to the world if we just said kill it off. As a mechanic, I feel a lot of jobs would be lost without it. Electric cars are just too simple for my liking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just go with the flow. Planning on trying out different things until I get to something I enjoy. Life is an adventure.
I am not ambitious and never have been. It has just never been in me. I am happy and content by the simple things in life, animals, rain, food, good relationships, golf

Life humbled me early, I dont dream of owning a supercar or a mansion and i love it
Original post by Samonia
I wish it was more the normal thing to take a gap year then people could learn to be grown up and get a job etc. before Uni. i think it would mean more people would do a course in the job they wanted rather than what sounds awesome at 18

I agree, I had to take 4 gap years because of health and I'm so glad because if id carried on with the first degree id started i would be completely lost now
Original post by WillsWheels
Redesign the combustion engine to run off something sustainable, honestly I feel that something so well mechanically designed would be a loss to the world if we just said kill it off. As a mechanic, I feel a lot of jobs would be lost without it. Electric cars are just too simple for my liking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by saying eletric cars are too simple
Original post by Nursey_nurse
Yeah 👌

Much respect
Original post by Hevachan
I agree, I had to take 4 gap years because of health and I'm so glad because if id carried on with the first degree id started i would be completely lost now

I'm glad that you picked the one right for you later :smile: it all seems to rushed when people chose their subjects when it kinda helps dictate your life

Quick Reply

Latest