The Student Room Group

How much should I revise for my year 10 mocks?

I have 11 mock exams and one real l one (statistics). They are 2 week span starting from 21st June. I have already started revising (a few hours a day) but I'm not sure if I'm doing enough. Also, I'm really worried about my English exams. If I don't get an A I'm gonna get moved down to a lower set. So do you guys have any tips for revision? And how much did you revise/ are revising for the mocks?
If you want to know we're doing Macbeth and Inspector calls for literature.
Thanx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by DD2508
I have 11 mock exams and one real l one (statistics). They are 2 week span starting from 21st June. I have already started revising (a few hours a day) but I'm not sure if I'm doing enough. Also, I'm really worried about my English exams. If I don't get an A I'm gonna get moved down to a lower set. So do you guys have any tips for revision? And how much did you revise/ are revising for the mocks?
Thanx

Didn't really revise for Year 10 mocks. It's not worth the stress so just take it slow and do as much revision as you think you need to do to get good grades. Focus on your statistics exam as that counts for something, the rest don't/.
Don't bother with revision for mocks, especially year 10 mocks. Just focus on your real exam.
Original post by DD2508
Thanx

Work harder for your real exam and possibly English if you're worried about it.
You don't need to put that much effort into year 10 mocks, but you can try harder for your year 11 ones. I don't think you need to do any more revision than you are doing right now.
Original post by DD2508
Thanx

TBH, don't stress about it too much. I'm in Year 11 now, and I'm doing my GCSEs. I did Year 10 Mocks, and they counted to literally nothing I recommend that you stress more about your Year 11 Mocks, because they give you your predicted grades. Those are what colleges/ sixth forms see.

Year 10 Mocks are more like a Mock-Mock. It's nothing to get worked up about. Do your revision, put your effort in, but don't go out to 10 hours+ revision, and have sleepless nights.

That's stupid.
Original post by DD2508
Thanx

Snap! 2 weeks of mocks starting 21st June with Edexcel Statistics on 27th June. We only have 8 mock exams (not doing lit exams for some reason) and the 1 real one but I'm playing the lead role in a show at the beginning of August and I also have rehearsals and lines to learn etc. ASAP.
A couple of hours a day is really good for mocks, it just gets you into practise for revising. We were only told about the mocks last week but I haven't had the time/motivation to do more than about a couple of hour in total this week :9
Are you doing the PIXL exams? That's what we're doing in lang and maths.
For English, practise writing under timed conditions and make sure you do as plan (Failing to plan is planning to fail). I'm assuming you will be bookless so memorise some key quotes which fit under multiple themes which means you can reduce the number you have to memorize.
HTH :smile:
Original post by DD2508
Thanx

Same I started revising in the start of the half term.

Spoiler

Original post by DD2508
Thanx

I have An Inspector Calls to revise, 19 poems and Jane Eyre for my English Literature and I haven't even finished An Inspector Calls
Original post by Ads.m
Didn't really revise for Year 10 mocks. It's not worth the stress so just take it slow and do as much revision as you think you need to do to get good grades. Focus on your statistics exam as that counts for something, the rest don't/.

agree and if you do bad on the mocks you'll get a lower set on the real thing so easy grades
Don't bother. Revise after the mocks on weak areas.
Don't stress about mocks! If you do a language then chances are that you'll have a writing or speaking real exam which is more important to revise for. I'm in year 11 and am predicted an A in chemistry after achieving a D in my year 10 mock! They don't matter! Admittedly, I did learn several crucial statistics for geography and facts for history which I remember now, so it can help, just don't burn out this early. Practice papers are good if you know that you could have to move sets if you don't do well. Good luck!
Original post by DD2508
Thanx

I'm going to disagree with most people on this discussion.

I recommend you work hard for your y10 exams and even harder for your y11 mocks.
Try out different revision techniques and learn what is effective for you. Make notes, flash cards, posters, do past papers, form a study group, watch revision videos, buy a relevant revision guide, analyse past papers to see what examiners tend to ask, ....... whatever........ some techniques will work for you and some will be completely useless for you. Best time to experiment is when the results are not that important, don't stress about the results but learn from the experience of revision.

Or blow them off, don't do anything and come back next year and ask if anyone has any tips for last minute GCSE revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DD2508
Thanx

I did no revision in year 10 and really it's not necessary. Enjoy the time you have left as year 11 becomes stressful and you really won't be able to enjoy your life than with all the revision. I was lazy in year 10 but year 11 was a wake-up call for me. I suggest you do some revision but don't stress yourself out too much. Enjoy life till you have the opportunity as you won't get it in 11.
I didn't bother revising for my year 10 mocks. It hasn't impacted my current grades either :dontknow:
Original post by DD2508
Thanx

I was in the exact same position as you last year

I focused on my statistics exam and that's way more important. These mockd don't really matter, honestly. You make think they do but they really don't. If you have the initiative to have started revising already, you're probably quite smart.

I revised the night before for year 10 mocks and still managed As and A*s. Focus on statistics! Good luck
Original post by gdunne42
I'm going to disagree with most people on this discussion.

I recommend you work hard for your y10 exams and even harder for your y11 mocks.
Try out different revision techniques and learn what is effective for you. Make notes, flash cards, posters, do past papers, form a study group, watch revision videos, buy a relevant revision guide, analyse past papers to see what examiners tend to ask, ....... whatever........ some techniques will work for you and some will be completely useless for you. Best time to experiment is when the results are not that important, don't stress about the results but learn from the experience of revision.

Or blow them off, don't do anything and come back next year and ask if anyone has any tips for last minute GCSE revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's so unnecessary to do in year 10...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ScienceFantatic
That's so unnecessary to do in year 10...

I respect your opinion. As I said, I disagree with most people on this discussion.

If you are are not going to experiment and discover revision techniques that work for you with exams that are not very important, then when are you going to do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
i did pretty terribly in my year 10 mocks and it didn't affect me in any way. didn't do too well in my year 11 mocks either, yet i still got in to college. don't bother with them. and as for being moved down a set in english, i got told every year that i was going to get moved down in maths, and it never happened.
The only subject I revised for in Year 10 was History.
I personally chose not to do past papers etc for Sciences, Maths whatever because I didn't want to waste them - you think you won't remember the answers in a year's time but trust me, you will - especially HSW questions.
Year 10 is basically the last year of freedom (ever) so chill :biggrin:

Spoiler

The only ones I would recommend revising decently for are your sciences, because there's just so much content there. If you have a good basis of knowledge for what you've learnt, it will be easier next year.
As for English, I would say learn some key quotes and draw up a plan before your actual writing if it makes it easier. I took 5-10 minutes to draw up a plan and then I simply had to convert it into paragraphs. Remember to always relate back to the question.

Our English teacher made us a knowledge organiser for each topic, I still have the AIC one if it's worth looking at. You mustn't worry about moving to a lower set though, I almost wish I had been moved for Maths, we went through it all so quickly that I only understood it when we went through it in revision. Knowledge organiser 1.jpgKnowledge organiser 1.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest