The Student Room Group

Core 3

So in the domain and range questions when do i use the ( brackets and [ brackets?
e.g http://pastpapers.download.wjec.co.uk/w14-mathematics-ms.pdf
P.16

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Ayaz789
So in the domain and range questions when do i use the ( brackets and [ brackets?
e.g http://pastpapers.download.wjec.co.uk/w14-mathematics-ms.pdf
P.16

Generally square brackets are used when inclusive of a value and parentheses if excluding that value.

i.e. [1,2) is an interval that includes 1 but not 2.
Reply 2
Original post by Alexion
Generally square brackets are used when inclusive of a value and parentheses if excluding that value.

i.e. [1,2) is an interval that includes 1 but not 2.

Im sorry but i don't understand :frown:
Reply 3
For example this in the markscheme:

is the range of values in between 1 and 1.5 that includes 1.5 but does not include 1.
Reply 4
Original post by Alexion
For example this in the markscheme:

is the range of values in between 1 and 1.5 that includes 1.5 but does not include 1.

But how do you know if it includes that number or not? And do you get deducted marks if you get them wrong?
Reply 5
Original post by Ayaz789
But how do you know if it includes that number or not? And do you get deducted marks if you get them wrong?

It depends how you're working out the range/domain ~ whether it can take that value or not.

~ If it's asymptotic at a value, then the range won't include that value, so you use a parenthesis.
~ If it's a numerical maximum/minimum, it can take that value, so you'd use a square bracket.

I don't think they penalise for it, but better safe than sorry :cute:
Reply 6
Original post by Alexion
It depends how you're working out the range/domain ~ whether it can take that value or not.

~ If it's asymptotic at a value, then the range won't include that value, so you use a parenthesis.
~ If it's a numerical maximum/minimum, it can take that value, so you'd use a square bracket.

I don't think they penalise for it, but better safe than sorry :cute:

I should get 100 Ums hopefully if they don't penalise me for this but like i get mixed up with squares and curved brackets , so the way i see it is if you have like a value that doesn't have a proper value like infinity it will have a curved bracket or like if you put infinity in the bracket to get the range then it'll be curved bracket ygm?
Thankss anyways, much appreciated mathematician!:biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Ayaz789
I should get 100 Ums hopefully if they don't penalise me for this but like i get mixed up with squares and curved brackets , so the way i see it is if you have like a value that doesn't have a proper value like infinity it will have a curved bracket or like if you put infinity in the bracket to get the range then it'll be curved bracket ygm?
Thankss anyways, much appreciated mathematician!:biggrin:

That's because \infty isn't a real number.
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
That's because \infty isn't a real number.

Yeah ik :tongue: but like where else can i use a curved bracket , i really don't understand where to use them :L
Reply 9
Original post by Ayaz789
Yeah ik :tongue: but like where else can i use a curved bracket , i really don't understand where to use them :L

Whenever you need to specify a non-inclusive interval.
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
Whenever you need to specify a non-inclusive interval.

Like what do you mean by that?:redface:
Reply 11
Original post by Ayaz789

Like if I told you to write down the set of numbers between 1 and 2 that don't include the number 1 or 2.
Reply 12
Original post by Zacken
Like if I told you to write down the set of numbers between 1 and 2 that don't include the number 1 or 2.

If you told me to write a set of numbers between 1 and 2 that dont include 1 and 2 huh? Ill tell you an example to do , 1 min
Original post by Ayaz789

[a,b] means all the real numbers between a and b including a and b.
(a,b) means all the real numbers between a and b excluding a and b.
[a,b) means all the real numbers between a and b including a and excluding b.
(a,b] means all the real numbers between a and b excluding a and including b.
Of course, if a or b are ±infinity, then there will be a round bracket because obviously infinity is not included.

That's about as comprehensive of an explanation you can get.
Reply 14
Original post by Ayaz789
If you told me to write a set of numbers between 1 and 2 that dont include 1 and 2 huh? Ill tell you an example to do , 1 min

What?
Reply 15
Original post by Zacken
What?

http://pastpapers.download.wjec.co.uk/w13-0975-01.pdf
9aii? Why is the -16 in a round bracket?
Reply 16
Original post by Ayaz789
http://pastpapers.download.wjec.co.uk/w13-0975-01.pdf
9aii? Why is the -16 in a round bracket?

Because the range of fg does not include -16. To see why, complete the square or find the minimum however you want.
Reply 17
Original post by Zacken
Because the range of fg does not include -16.

But how do you know it doesnt include it? Where does it say that?
Reply 18
Original post by Ayaz789
But how do you know it doesnt include it? Where does it say that?

Complete the square and use your basic GCSE knowledge of quadratics.
Reply 19
Original post by Zacken
Complete the square and use your basic GCSE knowledge of quadratics.

Complete the square on what? On fg(x)?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest