The Student Room Group

GCSE maths went badly and i wanted to do it for alevel

Hi
I did the edexcel A higher tier maths gcse exam last week, I was really prepared and I wasn't too nervous before the exam . But when I did it, I had a panic attack and it went awefully :frown: so bad I don't even know if I would have achieved a C !!! The worst thing about it is that maths is my best subject and it's my first alevel choice. Do universities mind retakes in a subject ??

what do I do ???
thank you :smile:
Original post by skye99
Hi
I did the edexcel A higher tier maths gcse exam last week, I was really prepared and I wasn't too nervous before the exam . But when I did it, I had a panic attack and it went awefully :frown: so bad I don't even know if I would have achieved a C !!! The worst thing about it is that maths is my best subject and it's my first alevel choice. Do universities mind retakes in a subject ??

what do I do ???
Have you looked at the solutions that were uploaded, how much do you reckon you've got?(marks)
Go for 100 on paper 2 and you should be fine. I made a few mistakes, which knocked me down to about 68 :angry: So I'm now going for higher on paper 2.
Reply 3
Have you looked at the solutions that were uploaded, how much do you reckon you've got?(marks)

Yeah I did look at them not in great detail because I have such a bad memory and can't really remember what I put, but also for quite a few questions I did working but didn't actually answer it :| yeah I know it's stupid I don't really know what happened !!! But from what I have seen it doesn't look as if I have done too well.
Reply 4
Go for 100 on paper 2 and you should be fine. I made a few mistakes, which knocked me down to about 68 :angry: So I'm now going for higher on paper 2.

That's probably an A which is great !!!!! I'm aiming high now for 2 but maybe not 100 cos whoa !!!
lets hope it goes well this time ahah
good luck :smile:
Original post by skye99

Yeah I did look at them not in great detail because I have such a bad memory and can't really remember what I put, but also for quite a few questions I did working but didn't actually answer it :| yeah I know it's stupid I don't really know what happened !!! But from what I have seen it doesn't look as if I have done too well.
Well, I'm going to be doing Maths and Further Maths next year, and I assume you need an 'A', I may be wrong, but you've still got one more paper and about 8 days to revise for it. You've got no other option but to do your best in this next exam, you would probably need at least 130 overall (just a guess) as I doubt the grade boundaries would be as low as last year. However hard that may sound, it is still attainable. I would just advise you to focus heavily on your weak topics for now but also make sure your strong topics don't become weak, as you haven't got a lot of time now. Below I will link you all the topics for the calculator paper, and also the predicted ones(most likely to come up). Just try your hardest.Don't get too stressed about this exam that you've just done, you can't change anything now. Best of Luck.:smile:

All topics: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0NHL46meQP_UTRYdEw5V0tSWWc/view?usp=sharing

Predicted topics: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0NHL46meQP_cHUzQVBUQm9TdXM/view?usp=sharing
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!!
good luck to you too :smile:
Original post by skye99
THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!!
good luck to you too :smile:
No problem.:h:
Original post by skye99
Hi

what do I do ???

This is exactly, what happened to me!! It depends, but remember GCSE's are vital for obtaining a good sixth form not a university, that's why there are A-levels, these are the exams that will determine what university you go to so don't worry. How many marks do you think you got in paper 1? I got around 50-55 marks and overall I want a minimum grade of A which means I need to get around 75-85 marks in paper 2!
Reply 9
Original post by varshan_k
This is exactly, what happened to me!! It depends, but remember GCSE's are vital for obtaining a good sixth form not a university, that's why there are A-levels, these are the exams that will determine what university you go to so don't worry. How many marks do you think you got in paper 1? I got around 50-55 marks and overall I want a minimum grade of A which means I need to get around 75-85 marks in paper 2!

I just attempted to calculate it and realistically from I remember I probably only got 34 marks, which is very disappointing and I feel so awful,but I just really don't know what happened in that exam :frown: I was aiming for an A OR A* aswell :frown:
Reply 10
Put it behind you, just focus on the next one. I made dumb mistakes because of pressure and I want an A as well and it burns me till now every time I think about it, you just have to carry on and aim for about 85+ on the next one.

You can do it!
Reply 11
Original post by Rajive
Put it behind you, just focus on the next one. I made dumb mistakes because of pressure and I want an A as well and it burns me till now every time I think about it, you just have to carry on and aim for about 85+ on the next one.

You can do it!

Thank you yeah I will do :smile: Good luck with your next exam !!
Original post by skye99
I just attempted to calculate it and realistically from I remember I probably only got 34 marks, which is very disappointing and I feel so awful,but I just really don't know what happened in that exam :frown: I was aiming for an A OR A* aswell :frown:

Don't worry about paper 2! Aim for 100 marks even if you think you can't get it, always believe, have faith and confidence in yourself. If there is a long worded question that you find difficult at first glance, just read the question again in your head and try your best to understand it, by doing this you're more likely to gain method marks! Also, dw there are november retakes this year so don't think that this is the last exam of the old spec but never stop believing! Good luck!!
Original post by skye99

That's probably an A which is great !!!!! I'm aiming high now for 2 but maybe not 100 cos whoa !!!
lets hope it goes well this time ahah
good luck :smile:

This is my situation too; good luck:h:
Reply 14
Original post by varshan_k
Don't worry about paper 2! Aim for 100 marks even if you think you can't get it, always believe, have faith and confidence in yourself. If there is a long worded question that you find difficult at first glance, just read the question again in your head and try your best to understand it, by doing this you're more likely to gain method marks! Also, dw there are november retakes this year so don't think that this is the last exam of the old spec but never stop believing! Good luck!!

Thank you so much for giving me confidence :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by alishba-rosex
This is my situation too; good luck:h:

you too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest