The Student Room Group

Do you support gay marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hoping4thebest
no I don't

Wow how has this not been removed yet? What happened to TSRs good old false freedom of speech? Sad times when people now are allowed to say what they actually think... Gone are the good old days when people's non PC thoughts got shut down. XD

Anyway jokes aside, I dont support gay marriage because its against my religion. But I also believe everyone should have the freedom to do what they want (as long as it doesnt negatively affect others - like robbery or murder etc!).

Who am I to govern what other people should do? Like it says in the qur'an: "You have your way of life, and I have mine" (Surat al kafiroon)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TimeTravel_0
Jesus doesn't agree with it. Read Leviticus 18: 22, Read Matthew 10:15.

There are a lot of things in the bible that are not agreeable aswell, like the idea of a talking snake.
So we get that some religions don't condone Homosexuality. Cool bruh. But if they don't follow that religion then do whatever the hell you want to jheeze. If it turns out any particular religion is correct then you're pretty screwed if you are homosexual. But until then (aka end of time) do whatever you please (provided its legal).
Original post by loveleest
There are a lot of things in the bible that are not agreeable aswell, like the idea of a talking snake.

I know. I apologized for my previous comment.
Original post by Trapz99
It should only be legalised if the majority of the population in these countries supports it. For example, it should not be legalised in a country like Russia where most people do not support it.

So if 9 out of 10 people in a room thought it would be okay to enslave you for the rest of your life (yourself being the 10th person of course) then it's fine to take away your rights for those 9 people?
Original post by imran_
ppl chose to be gay loooooooool, i find it funny how some ppl say they're 'born gay'

I don't remember any choice involved in finding Hermione attractive as well as Harry Potter, in fact it was slightly upsetting for me at the time and opened me up to bullying. Why would I pick that?
I don't think there should really be an "issue" and it saddens me that there is. Gay marriage isn't something that needs legalisation, it's not a drug or something that could cause people to do bad things. If anything, it being illegal is the oppression of gay people. Anyone who says "you're not born gay" may as well say "you're not born black" or "you're not born indian", the only difference between these things is that you can't "see" whether or not someone is homosexual.
I know guys who, if you were to look at them, look like stereotypical testosterone driven super hetero-sexual beasts who are actually in a loving relationship with another guy.
I want to rant further, but my point is: Gay marriage should be legal.
Original post by imran_
ppl chose to be gay loooooooool, i find it funny how some ppl say they're 'born gay'

No, people choose whether to act on their gay feelings or not. You don't choose to be gay, and if you think you do then you're in for a surprise when you catch up with everyone else in the 21st century!
Original post by TimeTravel_0
Jesus doesn't agree with it. Read Leviticus 18: 22, Read Matthew 10:15.

Leviticus is the old testament (so not really representative of what Jesus would have said) and Mathew was written around 100 years after the brith of Jesus. The new testament was put together many years after the death of Jesus and are not regarded by theologians (religious and agnostic) as literal descriptions of the life of Jesus. The reality is no book in the bible can tell you what Jesus actually believed as many sources written at the time of Jesus (some found at Qumran) didn't make it into the bible during the bible's construction and may other sources spoke out against the order and power of an established church which was threatening to the emergence of the early Christian congregation.

Jesus didn't write or put the bible together. Sorry, if you are basing your judgements simply what is written in the bible you are automatically disregarding a number of other texts that may actually be more representative of the life of Jesus.
I 100% support it. A lot of people talk about it ruining the sanctity of marriage, but seem to forget the drunk drive-thru weddings of opposite-sex couples. Let people marry the person they love and want to spend their life with and be done with it.
Original post by Cooliomed
Leviticus is the old testament (so not really representative of what Jesus would have said) and Mathew was written around 100 years after the brith of Jesus. The new testament was put together many years after the death of Jesus and are not regarded by theologians (religious and agnostic) as literal descriptions of the life of Jesus. The reality is no book in the bible can tell you what Jesus actually believed as many sources written at the time of Jesus (some found at Qumran) didn't make it into the bible during the bible's construction and may other sources spoke out against the order and power of an established church which was threatening to the emergence of the early Christian congregation.

Jesus didn't write or put the bible together. Sorry, if you are basing your judgements simply what is written in the bible you are automatically disregarding a number of other texts that may actually be more representative of the life of Jesus.

Exactly!
Also, if you want to ban homosexuality then you better give up that McDonalds Cheeseburger- (Exodus 23:19); give up eating fried chicken (or anything with fat)-(Leviticus 3:17); talking whilst in church is a big no no- (1 Corinthians 14:34–35); stop wearing anything with more than one type of cloth-(Leviticus 19:19); and many many more things that I'm 100% sure you've done!

I'd also like to make it clear that if anything the bible says there shouldn't be gay sex(Romans 1:27), not a word on gay marriage or relationships or even gay people!
Original post by shivtek
Exactly!
Also, if you want to ban homosexuality then you better give up that McDonalds Cheeseburger- (Exodus 23:19); give up eating fried chicken (or anything with fat)-(Leviticus 3:17); talking whilst in church is a big no no- (1 Corinthians 14:34–35); stop wearing anything with more than one type of cloth-(Leviticus 19:19); and many many more things that I'm 100% sure you've done!

I'd also like to make it clear that if anything the bible says there shouldn't be gay sex(Romans 1:27), not a word on gay marriage or relationships or even gay people!

I have friends who are openly gay and catholic and other friends who are catholic and don't have an issue with homosexuality or gay marriage. Even the pope said who is he to question a gay person who seeks to know god and Jesus.

Although I am personally not religious i can't help believe that if Christians do believe Jesus was the all loving, pacifist they speak off he would have nothing but love for anyone including gay couples.
Reply 392
Original post by shivtek
I don't think there should really be an "issue" and it saddens me that there is. Gay marriage isn't something that needs legalisation, it's not a drug or something that could cause people to do bad things. If anything, it being illegal is the oppression of gay people. Anyone who says "you're not born gay" may as well say "you're not born black" or "you're not born indian", the only difference between these things is that you can't "see" whether or not someone is homosexual.
I know guys who, if you were to look at them, look like stereotypical testosterone driven super hetero-sexual beasts who are actually in a loving relationship with another guy.
I want to rant further, but my point is: Gay marriage should be legal.

Why should drugs be illegal but homosexuality not be illegal? If anyone can give me a reasonable answer to that question I will buy you a bag of Skittles.
I have friends who are openly gay and catholic and other friends who are catholic and don't have an issue with homosexuality or gay marriage. Even the pope said who is he to question a gay person who seeks to know god and Jesus.

Although I am personally not religious i can't help believe that if Christians do believe Jesus was the all loving, pacifist they speak off he would have nothing but love for anyone including gay couples.

Exactly! " Jew or gentile, slave or free man; all are equal in Christ" except gay people? what!?
Original post by Jjj90
Why should drugs be illegal but homosexuality not be illegal? If anyone can give me a reasonable answer to that question I will buy you a bag of Skittles.

Being homosexual doesn't mess you and people surrounding you up; being gay isn't a bloody choice. Most gay people live in fear of others, do you really thing someone would choose to live like that?
Original post by Jjj90

Drugs are manufactured in clandestine laboratories which know of the harm they can cause but the producers of the drugs make them and sell them to people to make money with no remorse for the pain caused to the people they exploit in manufacturing, trafficking or selling the drug.

Homosexuals are people who are attracted to people of the same gender to themselves and are not produced by repressed and enslaved people or cause any harm to those in their vicinity.

Spending time with a gay person is not bad for your health. Buying cocaine funds mafias who persecute, rape and murder for money.
Reply 396
Original post by shivtek
Being homosexual doesn't mess you and people surrounding you up

That is not a fact.

Original post by shivtek
being gay isn't a bloody choice.

Why on earth should choice dictate whether I can do it or not...?

Yep, as I expected, not a reasonable response at all.
Original post by Jjj90
That is not a fact.

Why on earth should choice dictate whether I can do it or not...?

Yep, as I expected, not a reasonable response at all.

What the hell are you on about?

You don't want a response, because you've already got your mind set on one thing.
You know what, be a homophobe if you want. But don't tell other people that their life is wrong.
Reply 398
Drugs are manufactured in clandestine laboratories which know of the harm they can cause but the producers of the drugs make them and sell them to people to make money with no remorse for the pain caused to the people they exploit in manufacturing, trafficking or selling the drug.

Homosexuals are people who are attracted to people of the same gender to themselves and are not produced by repressed and enslaved people or cause any harm to those in their vicinity.

Spending time with a gay person is not bad for your health. Buying cocaine funds mafias who persecute, rape and murder for money.

But... if it was legal... it wouldn't fund the mafia! Another irrelevant point.

It is no more a matter of choice to be in a physical homosexual relationship than it is to take drugs.

By the way, I am absolutely not anti gay, or anything like that. I'm just making a point. Why on earth do people find the idea of any sort of restrictions on homosexuality to be a dire breach of civil liberties (which it would be, I agree)... but when it comes to drugs... you're all more than happy to stamp all over the individuals personal freedoms! Bizarre...
Reply 399
Original post by shivtek
What the hell are you on about?

You don't want a response, because you've already got your mind set on one thing.
You know what, be a homophobe if you want. But don't tell other people that their life is wrong.

Haha, great response. Well argued. Congratulations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending