The Student Room Group

I know two people who applied to do Medicine at Bristol...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kkboyk
Nope it isn't

Okay, I understand why he got it. But its kinda sad because she worked so much harder than him for this ( quite clearly can be seen through her grades)
Reply 21
Original post by jenigma
Personality definitely matters as much as strong academics, yes! You need to be a 'well-rounded, balanced' person for Medicine. So in the case of your friend obviously I don't know her ECs but admissions tutors immediately think 'this person is going to drown in work and not make it through med school' if she doesn't have any other interests than studying.

Aaaaah, that makes so much sense
Reply 22
Original post by z33
wait... wait... hold up
the guy got an offer for AAB?!
how did he not get 10 insta-rejections?! *___*
also be happy for him gawsh y yall be so salty
ur frend can try again next cycle :biggrin:

Yeah, the college he goes to is considered to be educationally disadvantaged
Reply 23
Original post by APersonYo
Yes, obviously you spent a lot of time with people. I just dont think its morally right to reject somebody who is clearly capable of being a doctor just because they're a lil shy

It's not unfair it's just how life is. Maybe the friend with better grades had a bad personal statement and was unable to show a general interest in medicine. It's not just about grades. There's a lot that goes into it.
Maybe she didn't perform well at interview. There isn't a correlation between grades and interview performance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Yeah, the college he goes to is considered to be educationally disadvantaged

aaaaaaaaah makes sense... good for him coming out with good grades then :eek:
Reply 25
Original post by mliela
It's not unfair it's just how life is. Maybe the friend with better grades had a bad personal statement and was unable to show a general interest in medicine. It's not just about grades. There's a lot that goes into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

She got an interview so her personal statement couldnt have been bad cause you if they don't like your personal statement you dont get an interview :L :L
Okay, I understand why he got it. But its kinda sad because she worked so much harder than him for this ( quite clearly can be seen through her grades)

She presumably applied to three other medical schools as well? Did she get rejected from all of them? If so, then something is lacking in her application, or she is extremely unlucky (but given her very good grades and UKCAT, I think luck is only part of the story) and she needs to work out what it is for next time.

There's no point in you getting involved in whether it's "fair" or not.
Reply 27
Original post by Helenia
She presumably applied to three other medical schools as well? Did she get rejected from all of them? If so, then something is lacking in her application, or she is extremely unlucky (but given her very good grades and UKCAT, I think luck is only part of the story) and she needs to work out what it is for next time.

There's no point in you getting involved in whether it's "fair" or not.

She got interviews from 3 places and was rejected by 1. Then after the interviews, they rejected her
Yes, obviously you spent a lot of time with people. I just dont think its morally right to reject somebody who is clearly capable of being a doctor just because they're a lil shy

That's true in part I think. A lot of young people can be a bit shy but grow out of it when they get into their 20s... young people are still growing and finding themselves. A studious person is less likely to have the social skills a less studious type will have from partying more.
Original post by kkboyk
Nope it isn't

To be fair OP has a point. Just because admissions people have given someone a place, doesn't mean they are deserving of it. I knew someone who got an offer for medicine at Keele with CCDD at AS, then just missed their offer and was given the opportunity to resit...
Original post by GlitterandGold-x
To be fair OP has a point. Just because admissions people have given someone a place, doesn't mean they are deserving of it. I knew someone who got an offer for medicine at Keele with CCDD at AS, then just missed their offer and was given the opportunity to resit...

I also don't think its particularly fair to judge people just because you don't think they 'deserve' a place. Medical schools have been selecting people for medicine for years, and whilst they don't always get it right they are very experienced at selecting students. Grades play a huge part in the selection process, but sometimes the medical schools can recognise an excellent candidate underneath poor grades.

Unless you, or the OP for that matter, were actually in these people's interviews, or read their personal statements, I don't think you can state whether someone deserves their place or not. Medics tend to have a bad case of imposter syndrome as it is, they don't need random people (who normally know very little about medicine admission processes) saying they don't 'deserve' their place because of a blip during GCSEs/a-level.
Original post by ForestCat
I also don't think its particularly fair to judge people just because you don't think they 'deserve' a place. Medical schools have been selecting people for medicine for years, and whilst they don't always get it right they are very experienced at selecting students. Grades play a huge part in the selection process, but sometimes the medical schools can recognise an excellent candidate underneath poor grades.

Unless you, or the OP for that matter, were actually in these people's interviews, or read their personal statements, I don't think you can state whether someone deserves their place or not. Medics tend to have a bad case of imposter syndrome as it is, they don't need random people (who normally know very little about medicine admission processes) saying they don't 'deserve' their place because of a blip during GCSEs/a-level.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. If you had a close friend or family member who had near perfect grades, as well as compassion and determination, who missed out on a place to someone with worse grades, you might feel differently.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion. If you had a close friend or family member who had near perfect grades, as well as compassion and determination, who missed out on a place to someone with worse grades, you might feel differently.

I probably wouldn't because I understand that is the way medicine works. But also, you don't know anything else about that other person. They may have been volunteering since they were 13. Or been sole carer for a sick parent. Or simply have excellent communication skills and had a wonderful interview where they clearly articulated why they wanted to do medicine and what skills they had that will help make them a great doctor.
Reply 33
Original post by ForestCat
I probably wouldn't because I understand that is the way medicine works. But also, you don't know anything else about that other person. They may have been volunteering since they were 13. Or been sole carer for a sick parent. Or simply have excellent communication skills and had a wonderful interview where they clearly articulated why they wanted to do medicine and what skills they had that will help make them a great doctor.

Exactly. There's not enough information to properly judge the situation

Posted from TSR Mobile
She got interviews from 3 places and was rejected by 1. Then after the interviews, they rejected her

Then she needs to work on her interview technique, clearly. It's not about being "loud" or sporty - I wrote a long post the other day about being an introverted doctor - but she does need to be able to speak to adults with confidence and give a good impression of herself.
Okay, so this one guy got 6As, 1A* and 3Bs at GCSE and he got ABB at AS level. ( I dont know what he is predicted for A level probably AAB?)
I have a friend who got 8A*s at GCSE and AAAA at AS level and has been predicted 3 A*s and an A for A level.
They both applied to do medicine at bristol and they both got interviews;however my overly qualified friend has been rejected whereas the other guy who has got lower grades has been rejected?
How is this acceptable?
I mean I know my friend is the quiet, studious type and he is the banterous sporty type but that doesnt mean she will be a worse doctor than him?? I just dont quite get it and find it very unfair.

Your post says they both got rejected?

Interview isnt it..... once you get past min grades then you move onto interview. ovbiously he made a bigger impression.
(edited 7 years ago)

OP has no point. OP is emotionally biased, does not make it right but he/she is entitled to their opinion.

Surely you're not saying the person resitting is not deserving of a place?! So all their life up until that point they could've been a straight-A student and one mistake leading them to get CCDD grades (the reason for which by the way you probably don't know and they could've faced a major personal problem), and you pipe up to imply they should not have been given a second chance?
Work harder. At interview techniques.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Helenia
Then she needs to work on her interview technique, clearly. It's not about being "loud" or sporty - I wrote a long post the other day about being an introverted doctor - but she does need to be able to speak to adults with confidence and give a good impression of herself.

Where was this post?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jenigma
Where was this post?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65346673 The whole thread is worth a read though, if it's something you're worried about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending