The Student Room Group

What does the typical day of an investment banker entail?

What do you typically have to do over the course of the day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by King Scorchy

What do you typically have to do over the course of the day?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=day+in+the+life+of+an+investment+banking+analyst

Replace analyst with any of the other roles on the totem pole: associate, VP, SVP/Director, MD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Coke
Original post by midnightice
Coke

You get drug tested in investment banks..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=day+in+the+life+of+an+investment+banking+analyst

Replace analyst with any of the other roles on the totem pole: associate, VP, SVP/Director, MD

I love the link, but I just think Google isn't the best place to look - the information could be too short, not informal enough, or too American to be informative enough.

I want to hear what a real investment baker on here has to say!
I love the link, but I just think Google isn't the best place to look - the information could be too short, not informal enough, or too American to be informative enough.

I want to hear what a real investment baker on here has to say!

It'll be largely the same information.. UK i-bankers aren't doing anything differently to a US i-banker. This is a pretty spoken about topic if I'm honest

Posted from TSR Mobile
It'll be largely the same information.. UK i-bankers aren't doing anything differently to a US i-banker. This is a pretty spoken about topic if I'm honest

Thanks, I'm reading about it now.
Reply 7
You get drug tested in investment banks..

Posted from TSR Mobile

That blows all the fun then (no pun intended).
Eat, Sleep, Excel, Repeat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper

Yeah, after reading about it I realised investment bankers are virtually unskilled!

Posted from TSR Mobile

don't forget powerpoint..

might make a thread going through a sort of average task required to do in m&a and what you'd be expected to actually do..

because a lot of people throw out words like modelling, pitch books, market valuations without actually knowing what they are
Yeah, after reading about it I realised investment bankers are virtually unskilled!

It is kind of interesting that we talk about the skills learned in IB as an analyst and then also say that a monkey could do it and it's menial work.
Original post by gr8wizard10

might make a thread going through a sort of average task required to do in m&a and what you'd be expected to actually do..

because a lot of people throw out words like modelling, pitch books, market valuations without actually knowing what they are

I think that would be really good. Honestly people need to understand the jobs of IBs in any division before they speak ill about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BizzStrut
It is kind of interesting that we talk about the skills learned in IB as an analyst and then also say that a monkey could do it and it's menial work.

It's because the most important skills you learn are probably the softer skills and relationships you build, rather than the hard ones. I can go through multiple textbooks and pick up similar skills to an Analyst, but the softer skills - you need exposure and experience to gain that.

I'll start...

Modelling - pushing refresh in Excel, making stuff look neat, add/subtract/divide etc.
Pitch Books - correcting typos plus efficient use of Copy and Paste, reading an MDs mental hand writing
Market Valuations - hitting 'download' on a Bloomberg Terminal
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DamnDaniel2
I think that would be really good. Honestly people need to understand the jobs of IBs in any division before they speak ill about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

just posted one:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4142755

I'll start...

Modelling - pushing refresh in Excel, making stuff look neat, add/subtract/divide etc.
Pitch Books - correcting typos plus efficient use of Copy and Paste, reading an MDs mental hand writing
Market Valuations - hitting 'download' on a Bloomberg Terminal

look at my guide on how to m&a xD just made a thread now.. the red ink pen #1 #1 #1

using broker forecast when you cba
(edited 7 years ago)
just posted one

look at my guide on how to m&a xD just made a thread now.. the red ink pen #1 #1 #1

using broker forecast when you cba

I take it you already had that from your BB and just edited it. Surely you did not create it from scratch?!

Very impressive, your tone is spot on. If only they showed this at those recruitment events...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I take it you already had that from your BB and just edited it. Surely you did not create it from scratch?!

Very impressive, your tone is spot on. If only they showed this at those recruitment events...

Posted from TSR Mobile

you can't email yourself work documents

made that just now and have that and the excel file i made for it, but thought including excel screenies will be a bit too much and boring for viewers. once you've done a few, it's pretty simple to do for any company as long as the required info is readily available online
It's because the most important skills you learn are probably the softer skills and relationships you build, rather than the hard ones. I can go through multiple textbooks and pick up similar skills to an Analyst, but the softer skills - you need exposure and experience to gain that.

I wonder whether these soft skills would be more quickly developed in, say, a sales environment where you're trained and taught people-oriented skills then tested by fire (commission based on sales) for a 3 month stint and/or as a management consultant where you have exposure to executives, CEOs, and spend a lot of time presenting.

Don't forget the hardcore repetition that ingrains your modelling and analysis skills to insane levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending