The Student Room Group

Gtx 1070 vs gtx 1080

I have a budget of around 1400 for a gaming PC. Should I get a 1080 and sacrifice on the CPU and other stuff or get a complete system with a 1070?

Advice pls.

Scroll to see replies

If you get a bad cpu it will bottleneck your gpu so make sure you get good of both. GTX 1070 is good enough for the majority of games unless you gunna be doing mad 4k gaming
Reply 2
Original post by not_lucas1
If you get a bad cpu it will bottleneck your gpu so make sure you get good of both. GTX 1070 is good enough for the majority of games unless you gunna be doing mad 4k gaming

Yeah good point.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cryptokyo
I have a budget of around 1400 for a gaming PC. Should I get a 1080 and sacrifice on the CPU and other stuff or get a complete system with a 1070?

Advice pls.

Look up Cyberpower PCs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Cberpower&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ACberpower

I got a Cyberpower laptop and by God it's powerful.

I run most games on very high graphics with 100fps+
Original post by The Roast
Look up Cyberpower PCs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Cberpower&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ACberpower

I got a Cyberpower laptop and by God it's powerful.

I run most games on very high graphics with 100fps+

nah even though you may be able to play on very high with 100+fps its not worth the money. Buying and building a pc will always be better £/fps than buying a pre built one
nah even though you may be able to play on very high with 100+fps its not worth the money. Buying and building a pc will always be better £/fps than buying a pre built one

It's been worth every penny.

It does come down to personal preference though.
use this website to make a build then post it and ask if its any good, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/
I'm also deciding between the 1070 and 1080. Budget is not a problem but I don't want to overkill and spend too much. In going to be gaming in 1080p and 1440p.
Look in to get the i7 6700k, 16gb ram, an ssd and Windows 10. Should I go water cooled or air cooled?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd opt for the 1070 and a good CPU.

Also summer is coming up so think about the case and the cooling you might want to buy :smile:
Unless going 4k, which you shouldn't be on that budget, even 1070 is overkill
Reply 10

How easy is it to build a PC nowadays?
Reply 11
If you're going to be gaming on a 1080p monitor, you might not even need a GTX 1070. I'd still go for it though as it's ridiculously powerful for the price.

For 1080p/1440p -- 1070.
For 4k -- 1080.

Just make sure to get a decent CPU too. Also, don't getting a shitty power supply. A good one will save your components if **** hits the fan.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by martinnmartin
I'm also deciding between the 1070 and 1080. Budget is not a problem but I don't want to overkill and spend too much. In going to be gaming in 1080p and 1440p.
Look in to get the i7 6700k, 16gb ram, an ssd and Windows 10. Should I go water cooled or air cooled?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Air cooled. Much easier and as long as you get a good CPU cooler, your temps will be fine.

Also, get an aftermarket GPU. The stock ones from NVidia aren't usually as good cooling wise.
Reply 13

Did you ever play with lego as a child? It's adult lego.

...Okay, not quite, but it's ridiculously easy. Follow some online tutorials and you'll be fine.

As easy as it was thenadays. Well I suppose a bit easier now we have the internet for guides and advice. It's not easy first time though, if something goes wrong, which it likely will. Guides miss out a lot, it's the little things they forget to mention.

It's definitely a pain in the arse, but so are a lot of things, and there are harder ways of saving hundreds or thousands of pounds.
(edited 7 years ago)
1070 would be fine, what games are you trying to play and on what monitor though
Keyword here: GAMING

Always ALWAYS, with a GAMING PC focus on the part that pushes pixels. 1080 any-day, there isn't very many modern CPUs that will bottleneck new cards. Any medium-high priced CPU with 4 or more cores will be fine, except those mucky APUs.

Hope you enjoy your new PC when its all finished.
Original post by Jacarch12
Keyword here: GAMING

Always ALWAYS, with a GAMING PC focus on the part that pushes pixels. 1080 any-day, there isn't very many modern CPUs that will bottleneck new cards. Any medium-high priced CPU with 4 or more cores will be fine, except those mucky APUs.

Hope you enjoy your new PC when its all finished.

I bet he will love barely using his 1080 if playing on 1080p 60Hz with vsync...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
I bet he will love barely using his 1080 if playing on 1080p 60Hz with vsync...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have a point sir.

Having a 1080 without a 4K monitor or a 144hz monitor is essentially for bragging rights.

I'm sat here with a 680 and proud to sit with if for even a few more years to come.
Original post by Jacarch12
You have a point sir.

Having a 1080 without a 4K monitor or a 144hz monitor is essentially for bragging rights.

I'm sat here with a 680 and proud to sit with if for even a few more years to come.

DSR is nice, but not worth the extra spend. There is also VR, but I doubt OP is going for that either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest