The Student Room Group

Mathematics education is useless. Discuss (16)

Right, what is the point in Math education when computers exist and they can do MATH REALLY REALLY QUICKLY So why do we need sweaty children and post-16 students to calculate something when a computer can do it so much faster. Is it worth giving students MIND FISSURES just so they can learn something so useless? Shouldnt a STUDENT be able to do maths only if it is in the profession they wish to follow?

Thanks famsbros and SHOUTOUT TO ANNE FRANK, you're a superstar

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you think manually calculating is what maths is about, then you haven't really paid attention in class?
Reply 2
This is literally the most stupid post I've ever seen on TSR.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
sounds pretty wacky tbh
Reply 4
A calculator is useless if you don't know how to use it.
Reply 5
b..
but
Mathematics is required in science.. and..

Reply 6
Original post by Jacarch12
Right, what is the point in Math education when computers exist and they can do MATH REALLY REALLY QUICKLY So why do we need sweaty children and post-16 students to calculate something when a computer can do it so much faster. Is it worth giving students MIND FISSURES just so they can learn something so useless? Shouldnt a STUDENT be able to do maths only if it is in the profession they wish to follow?

Thanks famsbros and SHOUTOUT TO ANNE FRANK, you're a superstar

I wouldn't call solving a maths problem a "mind fissure" either
Reply 7
Original post by shuu00
I wouldn't exactly call solving a maths problem a "mind fissure" either

I agree with you. It can be quite rewarding to solve a maths problem!

Reply 8
Original post by RasputinReborn
As Jamie Vardy once said "Chat **** get banged."

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I didnt mention the use of just calculators, I mentioned computers, pretty sure I could know how to do whatever you mentioned above with a quick Google search. Better get off your high horse now, Machines are going to replace mathematicians and take your F****** JOBS.
Reply 9
You have no idea what maths is
Reply 10
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
You have no idea what maths is

b8ed
Reply 11
b8ed

:'(
But I didnt mention the use of just calculators, I mentioned computers, pretty sure I could know how to do whatever you mentioned above with a quick Google search. Better get off your high horse now, Machines are going to replace mathematicians and take your F****** JOBS.

If that ever happens it will be with the help of mathematicians.
Reply 13

Yeah but you would still have to physically google and learn it. My maths teacher always says that the calculator is only as smart as the person who uses it.
Reply 14

Are you an English student?
Without maths you wouldn't be on this website. Websites wouldn't exist.
Reply 16
Original post by shuu00
Are you an English student?

I'm a keen b8 man.
Reply 17
Original post by Ladbants
Without maths you wouldn't be on this website. Websites wouldn't exist.

I disagree, obviously god created us and therefore the creation of the internet is a creation of GOD.

Cya bbs
it's all about training your brain. maths is one of the most important subjects!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I disagree, obviously god created us and therefore the creation of the internet is a creation of GOD.

Cya bbs

Yes but God made humans create it using mathematics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending