The Student Room Group

Relationship goals? More like Break-up goals.

I am the 'single girl' out of my group of friends and for me, personally, I don't mind it at all - enjoying the single life :wink: What I do mind are how my friends are making me feel bad about not being in a relationship. They're not attacking me on purpose but it's annoying.
They're annoying with their whole 'omg my bf did this and said this and got me that' and I'm just there like, 'pls shut up i dont care'. (Okay, maybe I do care sometimes...)

I tell them constantly that I don't want to be in a relationship and I told them that I don't like to hear their conversations about being in a relationship because as a friend, I'm just gonna come out and be honest about it. Though, they don't listen. Of course they don't, they're girls in a relationship. They will only listen after their break-up which I secretly hope it will be soon. Soz, guys.

Anyways, yesterday, one of my friends was talking about how her and her boyfriend are gonna take a short break and how she's happy that she can finally be 'free and flirt with other guys' even though they are, basically, still in a relationship. She calls it, 'messing around'. But I find it disgusting and useless because she claims that they're both 'in love with each other'. I know her boyfriend, who is two years older, and he's a good guy yet she's doing this? Joke or no joke... why? So I broke out my honest thought about this and asked 'what's the point of having a bf if all you're gonna do is **** around with people? might as well break up.'

Long story short, she got mad. Pfft. What should I do now?
Original post by Anonymous
I am the 'single girl' out of my group of friends and for me, personally, I don't mind it at all - enjoying the single life :wink: What I do mind are how my friends are making me feel bad about not being in a relationship. They're not attacking me on purpose but it's annoying.
They're annoying with their whole 'omg my bf did this and said this and got me that' and I'm just there like, 'pls shut up i dont care'. (Okay, maybe I do care sometimes...)

I tell them constantly that I don't want to be in a relationship and I told them that I don't like to hear their conversations about being in a relationship because as a friend, I'm just gonna come out and be honest about it. Though, they don't listen. Of course they don't, they're girls in a relationship. They will only listen after their break-up which I secretly hope it will be soon. Soz, guys.

Anyways, yesterday, one of my friends was talking about how her and her boyfriend are gonna take a short break and how she's happy that she can finally be 'free and flirt with other guys' even though they are, basically, still in a relationship. She calls it, 'messing around'. But I find it disgusting and useless because she claims that they're both 'in love with each other'. I know her boyfriend, who is two years older, and he's a good guy yet she's doing this? Joke or no joke... why? So I broke out my honest thought about this and asked 'what's the point of having a bf if all you're gonna do is **** around with people? might as well break up.'

Although i can understand your opinion (i've never understood why people take relationship "breaks"), brutal honesty isnt always appropriate in a friendship and she might have misconstrued what you said as jealously or you deliberately being hurtful towards her. In some situations, a good friend is a tactful one, not someone who tells her friends what they feel in every situation when they know that will annoy or upset them.

Hoping your friends will break up with their boyfriends, doesnt sound a particularly healthy thing to think to feel to be honest, if i m going to be brutally honest i think you should find some new friends if that's how you feel about them.

Savage, I like the honesty though.

I think you should stick to your guns on this. It's not like she can argue with it.
Maybe try being a bit more tactful?

Have sex with her boyfriend
Firstly. As a friend, you shouldn't tell your friends to shut up about what they're talking about. That's something they might really want to talk about and they obviously want to share this information with you. Just because you're not in a relationship yourself does not mean you can just expect your friends to shut up about their boyfriends. If you keep shutting them off, one day they're going to do the same to you whenever you speak of something you love
Secondly, wanting your friends to break up with their partner...that's low as hell. Does that not further show that your friendship isn't even real because no real friend would want this for their friend
Thirdly, it's your friend and her boyfriend's business while they're on a break, whatever they want to do. If your friend wants to be unfaithful then that's her choice. Originally, you never wanted to listen to her when she was happy in her relationship and now that they're on a break and she's planning to be unfaithful, you're now taking an interest and condemning her?
What your friend and her boyfriend do is between them and it's none of your business. And you know why it's 100% never going to be your business? Because you never cared in the first place to listen to her so now what you say about it really doesn't matter.
This is a silly thread, no offence but it doesn't even make sense. Have a good day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
[QUOTE=Wahrheit;65433331]Have sex with her boyfriend
Yes, this is the obvious solution to everyone's problem in the situation as described.
I always get shocked when people like you call these so called A-holes "friends"
Friends are not supposed to make you feel about yourself. You are supposed to surround yourself with good people around you, who love and respect you. People who make you feel bad are not worth your time, stop calling these people your friends and look for me valuable relationships.

I really dont understand this, if they are your friends you should be supportive of their relationships (as long as something isnt going on which could be problematic e.g. violence or cheating) and not want them to break up just because your single and dont like them talking about it around it. Lets face it, every girl in a relationship is going to talk about her boyfriend because its a big part of her social and personal life. you really cannot expect that when they are around you they should just shut up about it because your single and dont like it. there no different than they were before, and by the sounds of it they arent forcing you into a relationship or making you feel bad for not having one, they are just discussing things.

about the bottom paragraph, I do feel that sometimes brutal honesty to that extent is not needed, and you have probably really upset her by saying that. everyone has different ideas and opinions about whats right and wrong and unless they are in danger its really not your place to voice such a judgemental opinion. I would honestly apologise and just explain that you have different opinions. dont say something like that again.
Reply 8
Original post by claireestelle
Although i can understand your opinion (i've never understood why people take relationship "breaks":wink:, brutal honesty isnt always appropriate in a friendship and she might have misconstrued what you said as jealously or you deliberately being hurtful towards her. In some situations, a good friend is a tactful one, not someone who tells her friends what they feel in every situation when they know that will annoy or upset them.

Hoping your friends will break up with their boyfriends, doesnt sound a particularly healthy thing to think to feel to be honest, if i m going to be brutally honest i think you should find some new friends if that's how you feel about them.

Yes, I know and thank you for your opinion. I have apologised to her and she apologised back for things she had done. So we're good now :smile: I guess you could say that maybe I'm jealous or feel lonely, as much as I hate to admit it lol.
Reply 9
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Savage, I like the honesty though.

I think you should stick to your guns on this. It's not like she can argue with it.
Maybe try being a bit more tactful?

Hahah thank you and yes, I've apologised and she did too. So we're good :smile:
Original post by Wahrheit
Have sex with her boyfriend

Nah man, plenty of other single fish in the sea
Hahah thank you and yes, I've apologised and she did too. So we're good :smile:

So is it sorted now?
Original post by taz_yoongi
Firstly. As a friend, you shouldn't tell your friends to shut up about what they're talking about. That's something they might really want to talk about and they obviously want to share this information with you. Just because you're not in a relationship yourself does not mean you can just expect your friends to shut up about their boyfriends. If you keep shutting them off, one day they're going to do the same to you whenever you speak of something you love
Secondly, wanting your friends to break up with their partner...that's low as hell. Does that not further show that your friendship isn't even real because no real friend would want this for their friend
Thirdly, it's your friend and her boyfriend's business while they're on a break, whatever they want to do. If your friend wants to be unfaithful then that's her choice. Originally, you never wanted to listen to her when she was happy in her relationship and now that they're on a break and she's planning to be unfaithful, you're now taking an interest and condemning her?
What your friend and her boyfriend do is between them and it's none of your business. And you know why it's 100% never going to be your business? Because you never cared in the first place to listen to her so now what you say about it really doesn't matter.
This is a silly thread, no offence but it doesn't even make sense. Have a good day

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, thank you for your opinion. I have to admit that you do have good points there that I didn't notice on my actions. I have apologised to her and she did too so we're good now :smile: Yeah, I guess I was a bit jealous and maybe feeling lonely. Me and relationships have never been good anyway so I guess I should be getting used to this lonely feeling lol. You have a good day too.
Original post by loveleest
I always get shocked when people like you call these so called A-holes "friends"
Friends are not supposed to make you feel about yourself. You are supposed to surround yourself with good people around you, who love and respect you. People who make you feel bad are not worth your time, stop calling these people your friends and look for me valuable relationships.

Thank you for your opinion :smile:
Original post by Natalierm2707
I really dont understand this, if they are your friends you should be supportive of their relationships (as long as something isnt going on which could be problematic e.g. violence or cheating) and not want them to break up just because your single and dont like them talking about it around it. Lets face it, every girl in a relationship is going to talk about her boyfriend because its a big part of her social and personal life. you really cannot expect that when they are around you they should just shut up about it because your single and dont like it. there no different than they were before, and by the sounds of it they arent forcing you into a relationship or making you feel bad for not having one, they are just discussing things.

about the bottom paragraph, I do feel that sometimes brutal honesty to that extent is not needed, and you have probably really upset her by saying that. everyone has different ideas and opinions about whats right and wrong and unless they are in danger its really not your place to voice such a judgemental opinion. I would honestly apologise and just explain that you have different opinions. dont say something like that again.

Hello, yes I have apologised and she did too. SO we're good now :smile: Thank you for your opinion and I will try never to just blurt things out again. I guess some things are just supposed to be kept, right? Lol and yeah, I have to admit maybe I'm just a lonely since I'm not good at relationships anyway. Welp, better get being used to this :P
Original post by Ayaz789
So is it sorted now?

By the looks of it, yeah!
By the looks of it, yeah!

Ahh thats good then :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending