The Student Room Group

GDL vs LLB?

Which one is more respected?

A LLB from a top uni like Uni of Leeds
or a BA in English from Manchester Met uni with a strong GDL grade?
I would go for the LLB from Leeds Uni.
BA in English Lit + GDL on a par.
Original post by 999tigger
I would go for the LLB from Leeds Uni.
BA in English Lit + GDL on a par.

I was thinking of doing BA Creative Writing + GDL. It still covers a lot of literature, but it goes into more detail in different forms.
Original post by Mactotaur
I was thinking of doing BA Creative Writing + GDL. It still covers a lot of literature, but it goes into more detail in different forms.

The institution where you study and degree grade will be the most important factors.
Original post by 999tigger
The institution where you study and degree grade will be the most important factors.

This^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
If you know you want to do Law I don't see any point into wasting an extra year to do the GDL - do the LLB straight away.
GDL is more for people who studied something else and then figured out that they might enjoy law more.
Original post by Chr0n
If you know you want to do Law I don't see any point into wasting an extra year to do the GDL - do the LLB straight away.
GDL is more for people who studied something else and then figured out that they might enjoy law more.

Not true, a lot of lawyers I know wish they had studied something else then did the GDL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Princepieman
Not true, a lot of lawyers I know wish they had studied something else then did the GDL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is true though.

If someone is certain, as far as they can be, that they want to pursue a career in law afterwards, it would be prudent to actually do law.

Nonetheless, doing law over, say, economics and the GDL confers no advantage, other than the one extra year needed and the funds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
It is true though.

If someone is certain, as far as they can be, that they want to pursue a career in law afterwards, it would be prudent to actually do law.

Nonetheless, doing law over, say, economics and the GDL confers no advantage, other than the one extra year needed and the funds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're forgetting the diversification of insight effect of doing another subject. Doing econ or history or maths can inform how you interpret your legal studies and how you deal with legal careers.. A mathmo or econ student turned lawyer will not look at the world in the same lense as a straight law grad would

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Princepieman
You're forgetting the diversification of insight effect of doing another subject. Doing econ or history or maths can inform how you interpret your legal studies and how you deal with legal careers.. A mathmo or econ student turned lawyer will not look at the world in the same lense as a straight law grad would

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a load of crap in my opinion but I understand why people believe it.

In any case, don't forget that we too can actually do economics, languages, history and whatnot (as modules), and we all do philosophical papers like jurisprudence or legal history.

I know law has this "dry" reputation but it's not entirely true :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chr0n

Not strictly true. With a bit of reflection I think many lawyers would have done another subject that was more fun and easier and then done the GDL. There are benefits for doing a straight law degree, but its not the end of the world.

I'm not really oing to o down the line of not studyin law makes you a better lawyer argument.

The biggest issue is cost.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending