The Student Room Group

Is Fat Shaming Bad?

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Yes. Its not for you to shame anyone. It's pathetic bullying behaviour.
No. If skinny shaming is acceptable, why isn't fat shaming?
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Yes. Its not for you to shame anyone. It's pathetic bullying behaviour.

I agree. However, this new fad of embracing yourself even if you are massively obese I am against. How can you possibly be 'fat proud'? That isn't a achievement. That is a failure.
Reply 4
shaming itself is not a good thing irrespective of it being fat or skinny shaming.
Reply 5
No type of shaming is acceptable whether fat or skinny, tall or short, big or small, black or white. None is acceptable
Anything shaming is bad
Original post by TheFarmerLad
No. If skinny shaming is acceptable, why isn't fat shaming?

Skinny shaming is not acceptable, at least not last time I checked.

This youtuber does a lot of videos on the topic, and honestly he expresses it far better than I ever could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54uSD67M-Zo

The short version is, it doesn't make people thinner to shame them for being fat.
Original post by SGHD26716
I agree. However, this new fad of embracing yourself even if you are massively obese I am against. How can you possibly be 'fat proud'? That isn't a achievement. That is a failure.

You are now changing the question. Why didnt you start with that?

Lots of people have self esteem issues, so I think anything which helps them think more positively about things is good. That may then put them in the right frame of mind to deal with any health and weight issues.

Why are you so interested in other peoples failings? Dont you have any of your own?
Original post by Wahrheit
Skinny shaming is not acceptable, at least not last time I checked.

This youtuber does a lot of videos on the topic, and honestly he expresses it far better than I ever could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54uSD67M-Zo

The short version is, it doesn't make people thinner to shame them for being fat.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3962197

Skinny shaming imo is a lot more common than fat shaming due to there being more fat people nowadays who have for some reason been generally accepted into society
Reply 10
You are now changing the question. Why didnt you start with that?

Lots of people have self esteem issues, so I think anything which helps them think more positively about things is good. That may then put them in the right frame of mind to deal with any health and weight issues.

Why are you so interested in other peoples failings? Dont you have any of your own?

So you think a person should be proud if they are obese?

I'm not interested in other people's failings. I'm expressing my opinion
Fat shaming is both good and bad. The idea behind it, persuading people to not be fat which causes myriad health problems, is good. The bad side is that shaming someone will only make them defensive, causing the problem to be worse. What we really need is a proper education system that explains the perils of being fat and the simple solution of how to not be fat.
So you think a person should be proud if they are obese?

I'm not interested in other people's failings. I'm expressing my opinion

I think a person should be confident and accept who they are. There is more to a person than what they weigh. Much better than beating yourself up or even worse allowing spineless people to start calling you a failure and judging you.
Reply 13
I think a person should be confident and accept who they are. There is more to a person than what they weigh. Much better than beating yourself up or even worse allowing spineless people to start calling you a failure and judging you.

Yes, I agree with you there. What I'm saying is you shouldn't be proud to be fat. That is a problem which you should be encouraged to solve.

I'm not saying that if you are fat people have the right to fat shame you.
Original post by Mactotaur
Fat shaming is both good and bad. The idea behind it, persuading people to not be fat which causes myriad health problems, is good. The bad side is that shaming someone will only make them defensive, causing the problem to be worse. What we really need is a proper education system that explains the perils of being fat and the simple solution of how to not be fat.

There is no good side to it. People arent doing it to make other people better its to make them feel bad and because they are bullies.
Fat shaming is as bad as fat acceptance
There is no good side to it. People arent doing it to make other people better its to make them feel bad and because they are bullies.

It depends on the circumstance. If it's actual bullying, that's horrible. If the 'victim' is just claiming they're being shamed to avoid having to change, as I've seen happen, then the only problem is with the victim.
Yes, I agree with you there. What I'm saying is you shouldn't be proud to be fat. That is a problem which you should be encouraged to solve.

I'm not saying that if you are fat people have the right to fat shame you.

There are very few people who are proud to be fat, but the message is normally they are proud to be themselves.

There are millions who are desperately sad and depressed about it, but lack the knowledge, support and confidence to make the change.
Original post by MrFudgeTheGuy
Discuss.

As a skinny boy starting my :dumbells: journey ... I can say shaming people
in general for their body be it for being obese/anorexic is bad as in reality
they are both 2 sides of the same coin in order to become shredded af brah! :drool:
It's kind of difficult to answer as "shaming" has become a word that means even a doctor cant tell a patient that they are badly overweight/underweight and need to lose some/gain some or they will risk illnesses/ make what they have worse. For obvious reasons i don't see how this is a problem.
Something that would commonly be thought of as Shaming such as a fair ground ride owner saying because of your size (small or big) you wont be safe on their ride and they don't want to risk your injury, is not what i would consider shaming.
For actual bullying shaming (actual physical violence or abusive language) that is awful and wrong and shouldn't happen

Quick Reply