The Student Room Group

Is Fat Shaming Bad?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mactotaur
It depends on the circumstance. If it's actual bullying, that's horrible. If the 'victim' is just claiming they're being shamed to avoid having to change, as I've seen happen, then the only problem is with the victim.

What gives a complete stranger the right to shame someone else?
How are you being productive when you or your friends are doing the shaming?

So no, it doesnt depend on the circumstances. It is bad 100% to think you are going to achieve something by shaming.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
What gives a complete stranger the right to shame someone else?
How are you being productive when you or your friends are doing the shaming?

You clearly did not read my comment or my previous comment fully.

I said that shaming in itself is bad, because it only gets an opposite result, and bullying is bad.

What I was talking about was the people who go to a doctor and are told they need to lose weight for their health, and declare they've been fat shamed.
But saying "You're fat and you should seriously lose some weight because it may harm you" is considered to be bullying now...
WHAT?
Original post by TheFarmerLad
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3962197

Skinny shaming imo is a lot more common than fat shaming due to there being more fat people nowadays who have for some reason been generally accepted into society

The situation referenced in your other post is interesting, and I think says more the double standard when it comes to genders than weight. If, as a guy, you make fun of a girl for her appearance when she's with her friends, they will all jump on you. It happens, no matter what they said about you first. If the guy were fat and the girl were skinny same thing would have happened, say if he called her "anorexic" or something.

Honestly I abhor both though, and agree with you that neither one should be more acceptable than the other. I was quite fat in my mid teens, and it's really not nice to be made fun of for it. EVERYONE saw it as completely acceptable too, people pat you on the stomach when they greet you, laugh at you for wearing certain types of clothes..and this happened to every single overweight person I knew.

What I was talking about was the people who go to a doctor and are told they need to lose weight for their health, and declare they've been fat shamed.

That isnt fat shaming though, its medical advice. Completely different.
The obvious answer to this question is YES it is bad.
You don't actually know how much you can harm a person emotionally with your words.
It is just not good to fat shame anyone.
That isnt fat shaming though, its medical advice. Completely different.

Not completely different, because people claim they're being fat shamed and the entire meaning of the term is lost.

Besides, being fat is something you have complete control over. If you don't want to be fat, eat TDEE-500 for a few months and then eat at maintenance.
Original post by MrFudgeTheGuy
But saying "You're fat and you should seriously lose some weight because it may harm you" is considered to be bullying now...
WHAT?

What gives you the right to do so? What makes you think they dont already know that massive insight? Do you think it would help if you went round telling everyone who was overweight, that they were fat?
Original post by Wahrheit
The situation referenced in your other post is interesting, and I think says more the double standard when it comes to genders than weight. If, as a guy, you make fun of a girl for her appearance when she's with her friends, they will all jump on you. It happens, no matter what they said about you first. If the guy were fat and the girl were skinny same thing would have happened, say if he called her "anorexic" or something.

Honestly I abhor both though, and agree with you that neither one should be more acceptable than the other. I was quite fat in my mid teens, and it's really not nice to be made fun of for it. EVERYONE saw it as completely acceptable too, people pat you on the stomach when they greet you, laugh at you for wearing certain types of clothes..and this happened to every single overweight person I knew.

So in your opinion females have the right to shame males but not vice versa? Surely if any individual abuses another about their size/appearance the victim has every right to do the same to them, regardless of gender?

Any form of shaming is unacceptable. However I don't believe fat people should be accepted into society just because obesity in the world is ever increasing. I reckon only about 1% in the world have a genetic issue in regards to their physique, the remaining 99% however can quite frankly get off their lazy arses and do some exercise.
To clarify my above view.. The definition of fat shaming to me is mocking and bullying someone because they are fat.

A friend or family member telling them they are overweight or a doctor explaining the health implications of so and recommending they think about their weight is not my definition of fat shaming.
What gives you the right to do so? What makes you think they dont already know that massive insight? Do you think it would help if you went round telling everyone who was overweight, that they were fat?

It may help, but the likelihood is that it won't :/
Not completely different, because people claim they're being fat shamed and the entire meaning of the term is lost.

Besides, being fat is something you have complete control over. If you don't want to be fat, eat TDEE-500 for a few months and then eat at maintenance.

You dont seem to be able to tell the difference between medical advice and comments from some random stranger.

While they may have complete control, its not as straighforward if they dont have the correct mindset and knowledge to lose weight. Being overweight often hides deeper issues the person has with self esteem. A person isnt going to go on a successful diet ubntil they are ready to make the commitment.
Original post by MrFudgeTheGuy
It may help, but the likelihood is that it won't :/

Ofc it may do more harm than good.
Reply 33
To most fat people, just pointing out all of the grotesque health risks they put themselves at risk of counts as fat shaming
You dont seem to be able to tell the difference between medical advice and comments from some random stranger.

Look at the leaders of the Fat Activism movement and you'll see just what they classify as fat shaming. The meaning of the word has been warped, and this needs to be recognised in any discussion of it.
Original post by davgen7
To most fat people, just pointing out all of the grotesque health risks they put themselves at risk of counts as fat shaming

What do you feel gives you the right to do so?
Dont you think they already know?
What good do you think you are doing?

I'd say you have no right, they already know, they already feel bad about it, and shaming them does much more harm.

Same with slut shaming.
What do you feel gives you the right to do so?
Dont you think they already know?
What good do you think you are doing?

I'd say you have no right, they already know, they already feel bad about it, and shaming them does much more harm.

Same with slut shaming.

It's a point. They may not actually know. The normalisation of obesity is such that some people don't even realise they're not at a healthy weight. Shaming isn't the way forwards, obviously, but something needs to be done.
Look at the leaders of the Fat Activism movement and you'll see just what they classify as fat shaming. The meaning of the word has been warped, and this needs to be recognised in any discussion of it.

But they are a tiny minority. They tend to represent themselves.

Going back to the question imo you have no right, its their business, they already know and it will achieve little becayse its a bullying form of behaviour.
It's wrong to shame anyone for their looks. I mean, most people will pile on the pounds at some point in their life.

So yeah, fat shaming is wrong. But, conversely we shouldn't promote an unhealthy lifestyle either.
Original post by TheFarmerLad
So in your opinion females have the right to shame males but not vice versa? Surely if any individual abuses another about their size/appearance the victim has every right to do the same to them, regardless of gender?

Any form of shaming is unacceptable. However I don't believe fat people should be accepted into society just because obesity in the world is ever increasing. I reckon only about 1% in the world have a genetic issue in regards to their physique, the remaining 99% however can quite frankly get off their lazy arses and do some exercise.

Lol of course I don't think females have the right, I said that's one of society's double standards, it's not an opinion, it's a fact. It shouldn't be like that at all, but unfortunately it is, and it's extremely annoying.

And, as the video I linked says, obesity is often a symptom of a mental health issue such as depression, it's not just a case of "getting off your lazy arse." Nobody WANTS to be fat, you're essentially making yourself disabled and shortening your life. When you see a fat person, think why it is that they're like that. It's the same as alcoholics or drug addicts, it's just they use food. We should accept them and help them, not make them feel worse about themselves and perpetuate a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending