The Student Room Group

I think Britain is going to remain in the EU.

When push comes to shove, I believe that the majority of undecided voters will realise that economic and job security is more important to them and their families than "taking back control" and what not, and they will vote to remain. Do people think Britain will leave or stay on the 23rd?

Scroll to see replies

I think Britain will stay in the EU.
remaining in the EU will actually hurt us economically over the long-term
and judging by the trends in the polls (as long as they continue along this pattern), I'd say we'll probably leave
(edited 7 years ago)
As much as I want us to leave, the reality is that we probably won't.

It's depressing.
Reply 4
Original post by tanyapotter
When push comes to shove, I believe that the majority of undecided voters will realise that economic and job security is more important to them and their families than "taking back control" and what not, and they will vote to remain. Do people think Britain will leave or stay on the 23rd?

A bit like the Scottish Referendum 2 years ago, most of the "don't knows" voted no to independence, I like your term "when it comes to the shove" as they say 'better the devil you know" could be close though.
Hopefully, stay.

The Leave vote would lead to the long term exodus of business to the Continent to access the single market.

The EU will not let the UK have full access to the market without concessions on migration and EU regulations.

If you want evidence about the economy, just look at the pound. The second worst performing currency out of the 16 major world currencies.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze
and judging by the trends in the polls (as long as they continue along this pattern), I'd say we'll probably leave

I'm personally not taking the polls at face value, because god knows how wrong they were about the general election last year, but we'll see.
Reply 7
The polls have been set up to show remain in the lead. Even the bookies have changed their odds to reflect leave doing better in the more accurate polls.

Have more faith in the silent majority.
I think, sadly, we will stay, though I think it is still quite close
Original post by Jebedee
The polls have been set up to show remain in the lead. Even the bookies have changed their odds to reflect leave doing better in the more accurate polls.

Have more faith in the silent majority.

I'm confused - is Leave or Remain the silent majority in this?
I agree but how about the next one? Or the one after that?

How many referendums will it take for this to be settled once and for all?
Reply 11
Original post by sleepysnooze

Justification?
Original post by BasicMistake

Every new referendum would defeat the point of the last.
Original post by tanyapotter
I'm confused - is Leave or Remain the silent majority in this?

Leave.
I'd like to think the people who want to leave are a lot more motivated to go out and do so on the day. People who are on the edge or just don't care probably won't bother.
Reply 15
Original post by BasicMistake

There is not point having more than on referendum per generation, otherwise the losing side will keep on wanting them and people will get pissed off having to listen to a load of dimwits going on about Brexit all the time and no one would bother turning out to vote and the vote would be irrelevant.

The only exception is if there is a Brexit and the economy goes down the drain and hundreds of thousands lose their jobs, then people would demand another referendum.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
I hope NOT!
Original post by Jebedee
Leave.

If they were a majority (which I find unlikely at this point or in the future) then they certainly wouldn't be silent about it :redface:
Original post by Noodle0
I'd like to think the people who want to leave are a lot more motivated to go out and do so on the day. People who are on the edge or just don't care probably won't bother.

This is possible, but on the other hand, I feel that people on the fence who do intend to vote will swing towards remaining, because why fix something that isn't broken to them?
Original post by Maker
There is not point having more than on referendum per generation, otherwise the losing side will keep on wanting them and people will get pissed off having to listen to a load of dimwits going on about Brexit all the time and no one would bother turning out to vote and the vote would be irrelevant.

It's for that very reason that the losing side (Leave in this case) will want to constantly repeat the referendum. There may be one time where turnout is low or public opinion has shifted for the briefest of moments and an outcome that is not supported by the majority of the population will be forced. As far as I know, referendums don't have a minimum turnout. Throw enough proverbial sh*t at the wall and eventually some will stick.

Quick Reply

Latest