The Student Room Group

Hijabi Lawyers?

I've been told I should be a lawyer because I argue a lot and I always back my points with evidence. Plus, I enjoy History and I wouldn't mind studying Law however are there any lawyers that are hijabis? I'm thinking from a realistic point of view here, Muslims are portrayed badly in the media rn and I'm curious if this would set me back for a job later. Plus, many clients may choose not to deal with me because of my faith. Being a woman is one thing but also being Muslim could potentially waste my time. What are your thoughts? Are you looking into law? Do you know any hijabi Lawyers? I need the honest truth here :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mrs.Grey
I've been told I should be a lawyer because I argue a lot and I always back my points with evidence. Plus, I enjoy History and I wouldn't mind studying Law however are there any lawyers that are hijabis? I'm thinking from a realistic point of view here, Muslims are portrayed badly in the media rn and I'm curious if this would set me back for a job later. Plus, many clients may choose not to deal with me because of my faith. Being a woman is one thing but also being Muslim could potentially waste my time. What are your thoughts? Are you looking into law? Do you know any hijabi Lawyers? I need the honest truth here :smile:

I saw plenty of hijabi trainees at Clifford Chance (a top tier magic circle law firm), they didn't have any issues at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Amal Clooney is a muslim lawyer but she doesn't wear the hijab. I'm pretty sure there's lots of muslim lawyers who wear hijabs.:smile:
Original post by sleepysnooze
lol that's the worst reason I've ever heard to become a lawyer
you like arguing? try ****ing politics :lol: there's a *real* argument
in law, you have to learn to do what you're told - the law is the law; you can't change it by merely being argumentative - where's the potency in that?

"being a woman is one thing" - no it isn't - women aren't discriminated against in law. but in terms of your hijab - why bother with it? just because your folks make you wear it you don't have to obey their googly-eyed fundamentalist doctrines when you're an adult, do you? this is 2016 UK, not the 7th century arabia where women were treated like pets - nobody wears those things any more, and a judge is going to have some sense of modern fashion to cast negative judgements upon you for it - you don't have to wear it to be a muslim too unless you're saying that all non-hijab wearing muslim women aren't "true muslims"? there are millions of women muslims that don't - are you saying they "don't count"?

For those who choose not to wear hijab for an invalid reason, they are committing a sin.

Your random rant about hijab and Islam has no relevance to her question...
Original post by Zamestaneh
For those who choose not to wear the* hijab for an invalid reason, they are committing a sin.

Your random rant about the* hijab and Islam has no relevance to her question...

I corrected your grammar for you, so that you don't sound russian. you're welcome
I corrected your grammar for you, so that you don't sound russian. you're welcome

Thank you for your critical imput - I'm sure this has changed the course of the whole thread.
Thank you for your critical imput - I'm sure this has changed the course of the whole thread.

proper grammar literally costs nothing.
proper grammar literally costs nothing.

Start your sentences with a capital letter, huehuehue.

Rather than be an unsavoury person, why not just converse on topic like a normal person?
Start your sentences with a capital letter, huehuehue.

Rather than be an unsavoury person, why not just converse on topic like a normal person?

actually using the right words is one thing, but asking me to use capitals in exactly the right place, on an internet forum? wow
actually using the right words is one thing, but asking me to use capitals in exactly the right place, on an internet forum? wow

Okay.
Okay.

okay.
I'm following a Hijabi lawyer on Instagram and Youtube. Her name is Sebina H and I think she's made some videos on her career etc.
Reply 12
You do you. become a lawyer it won't matter that your Muslim.

"being a woman is one thing" - no it isn't - women aren't discriminated against in law. but in terms of your hijab - why bother with it? just because your folks make you wear it you don't have to obey their googly-eyed fundamentalist doctrines when you're an adult, do you? this is 2016 UK, not the 7th century arabia where women were treated like pets - nobody wears those things any more, and a judge is going to have some sense of modern fashion to cast negative judgements upon you for it - you don't have to wear it to be a muslim too unless you're saying that all non-hijab wearing muslim women aren't "true muslims"? there are millions of women muslims that don't - are you saying they "don't count"? muslim men don't wear it either without a good reason as to why they're exempt - what about all of them?

Why would you automatically assume she's being forced to wear it? :s-smilie:
Original post by flyingpanda
Why would you automatically assume she's being forced to wear it? :s-smilie:

oh come on - you think her parents have nothing to do with it?
this is 2016 UK, not the 7th century arabia where women were treated like pets - nobody wears those things any more, and a judge is going to have some sense of modern fashion to cast negative judgements upon you for it - you don't have to wear it to be a muslim too unless you're saying that all non-hijab wearing muslim women aren't "true muslims"? there are millions of women muslims that don't - are you saying they "don't count"? muslim men don't wear it either without a good reason as to why they're exempt - what about all of them?

LOOOOOLLLL. Funny guy yeahhh
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

"being a woman is one thing" - no it isn't - women aren't discriminated against in law. but in terms of your hijab - why bother with it? just because your folks make you wear it you don't have to obey their googly-eyed fundamentalist doctrines when you're an adult, do you? this is 2016 UK, not the 7th century arabia where women were treated like pets - nobody wears those things any more, and a judge is going to have some sense of modern fashion to cast negative judgements upon you for it - you don't have to wear it to be a muslim too unless you're saying that all non-hijab wearing muslim women aren't "true muslims"? there are millions of women muslims that don't - are you saying they "don't count"? muslim men don't wear it either without a good reason as to why they're exempt - what about all of them?

Shes not forced to wear it, you can tell from her other posts that she likes Islam and it's rules.

This is 2016 and uk, so shut up and let her wear that if she wants. Afterall you people do claim you give women choice so... And many people do wear it, either you're 1) blind or 2) you don't get out much.

It is compulsory so not wearing it would be a sin. Those non hijabi muslim women do count but they sinning.

It's not compulsory for men to cover their heads. But many muslim men in the world, especially arabs, wear some sort of head dress...

oh come on - you think her parents have nothing to do with it?

Well yeah. OP has not written anything that can imply that. She's not mentioned her parents at all.
Original post by ☪☪☪
It is compulsory so not wearing it would be a sin. Those non hijabi muslim women do count but they sinning..

which verse outlines this imperative?

"being a woman is one thing" - no it isn't - women aren't discriminated against in law. but in terms of your hijab - why bother with it? just because your folks make you wear it you don't have to obey their googly-eyed fundamentalist doctrines when you're an adult, do you? this is 2016 UK, not the 7th century arabia where women were treated like pets - nobody wears those things any more, muslim men don't wear it either without a good reason as to why they're exempt - what about all of them?

You aren't being serious are you:rofl::rofl: Also there are over a billion muslims of course loads of women still wear it, don't be stupid.

Latest

Trending

Trending