The Student Room Group

JP Morgan will cut jobs if we leave the EU

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maker
You seem to be unsure about what you are saying. You said Britain will be better outside the EU.

You actually didn't read what I said did you? Like, at all?

I said that I believe Britain will be better off outside the EU.

I said that JP Morgan would be better off if Britain remained in the EU, than if it left.

I said that JP Morgan would nonetheless be better off based in a Britain outside the EU, than a country inside the EU after Britain left.

None of these points are contradictory. Just because I believe leaving would be best for Britain as a country, doesn't mean it'll be best for each individual business within Britain.
Reply 61
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
You actually didn't read what I said did you? Like, at all?

I said that I believe Britain will be better off outside the EU.

I said that JP Morgan would be better off if Britain remained in the EU, than if it left.

I said that JP Morgan would nonetheless be better off based in a Britain outside the EU, than a country inside the EU after Britain left.

None of these points are contradictory. Just because I believe leaving would be best for Britain as a country, doesn't mean it'll be best for each individual business within Britain.

I can see where the contradiction isn't. You are saying Britain will be better in and out of the EU, its just like 1984.
Original post by Maker
I can see where the contradiction isn't. You are saying Britain will be better in and out of the EU, its just like 1984.

Explain to me where, at an point, I said Britain would be better off inside the EU. Please, give me a quote from my first comment which expresses that sentiment.

You're conflating what's best for Britain, and what's best for a business inside Britain. They are not the same.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The_Opinion
Then the north can rebel and vote for MP's that want a southerners tax, problem solved. :biggrin:

That has nothing to do with what I said.

I said that JP Morgan would be better off if Britain remained in the EU

I said that JP Morgan would nonetheless be better off in a Britain outside the EU

Right
Original post by DorianGrayism
Right

Please don't quote half a sentence, and maybe consider an english lesson. The sentences I wrote were:

'I said that JP Morgan would be better off if Britain remained in the EU, than if it left. '

This sentence means that JP Morgan will be better off in a Britain in the EU, than a Britain outside the EU.

'I said that JP Morgan would nonetheless be better off based in a Britain outside the EU, than a country inside the EU after Britain left. '

This sentence means that JP Morgan would be better off in Britain following a Brexit, than an EU country following a Brexit.

If you're still struggling, the first sentence declares that, from JP Morgan's perspective:

Britain in the EU > Britain outside the EU

Whereas the second sentence declares that, from JP Morgan's perspective:

Britain outside the EU > Any EU country after Britain leaves

Which can be summarised as, from JP Morgan's perspective:

Britain in the EU > Britain outside the EU > Any EU country after Britain leaves

Which means that whilst JP Morgan would like us to stay, in the event of us leaving, they would be unlikely to move jobs to continental Europe.

Also note that this reasoning is entirely based on JP Morgan's perspective of whether we should leave the EU, which is different to Britain's perspective. Whereas JP Morgan would benefit from us staying, I believe the country as a whole would benefit from us leaving.

So yeah, maybe consider that english lesson.

'I said that JP Morgan would be better off if Britain remained in the EU, than if it left. '

This sentence means that JP Morgan will be better off in a Britain in the EU, than a Britain outside the EU.

'I said that JP Morgan would nonetheless be better off based in a Britain outside the EU, than a country inside the EU after Britain left. '

This sentence means that JP Morgan would be better off in Britain following a Brexit, than an EU country following a Brexit.

Waffle .

AKA JP Morgan is better off in a Britain in the EU.

In any case, JP Morgan will,at least, move some of it's operations to an EU country in a Brexit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DorianGrayism
Waffle .

AKA JP Morgan is better off in a Britain in the EU.

In any case, JP Morgan will,at least, move some of it's operations to an EU country in a Brexit.

I didn't claim it was an absolute truth; it's merely my opinion. I don't believe that they would reduce their activity in Britain whatsoever, following Brexit. You're more than entitled to disagree. But the claim that what I said was somehow contradictory was wrong, and based on what I can only presume is a poor grasp on the english language.
I didn't claim it was an absolute truth; it's merely my opinion. I don't believe that they would reduce their activity in Britain whatsoever, following Brexit. .

Even though they said they would.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36446023

Effectively, it doesn't matter what the evidence is.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36443104

All the major corporations have made it clear- Brexit will mean fewer jobs for British people. Jamie Dimon is one of the biggest names on Wall Street and he's argued strongly for the EU- going as far to say that he has no choice but to reduce their UK headcount.

We will have a weaker financial services industry without the EU- pretty much all the major banks and professional services firms are saying this- yet somehow the Leave campaigners think that they know better than those leading these industries. We need to stay to keep jobs in the City and in other fields of work. There's no need to take this risk.

Especially pertinent when you consider that The City is the reason Britain is - as Brexiters love to tell us - the 5th biggest economy in the world. It's quite obvious anyway though as it relies a lot on European capital markets. Quite a lot of the money going through London now will go through Frankfurt and Paris in the event of a Brexit, thereby nullifying this "5th biggest economy" point.
Good riddens!
Original post by Princepieman
The financial services industry is a major employer in the UK, this isn't just about 'bankers', this is about all the people supporting the industry in non revenue generative roles.. Their jobs will be gone and their livelihoods are at stake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Precisely. Nobody ever said that banks give out jobs to be nice lol. But the fact remains that if it is in their interests to have X amount of employees within a country, they will. Otherwise, they won't.

[video="youtube;OqdFqCKZugo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqdFqCKZugo[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending