The Student Room Group

Panicking in exams?

To cut a long story short I had two exams last week and I ended up completely freaking out in both of them and had to be taken out as I was panicking so much. I have another exam on Wednesday and I'm just terrified that it's going to happen again. It's not that I haven't revised or anything it's just that when I get in the exam it completely overwhelms me and I can't stop myself from panicking. Does anyone have any tips on how I can get over this because I don't want to end up failing all of my exams because of it :frown: Thanks.
That happened to me in my Maths. I panicked so much that I couldn't stop shaking and I kept dropping my pen. Needless to say, I ran out of time and didn't even finish the paper.

The exam after that was psychology and I managed well for it. I think the trick is to tell yourself that the exam is not that difficult. Deep breaths before the exam and during it whenever you feel stressed helped me a lot to relax.

Remember you've revised so don't stress when actually doing it.

Hope you all the best for your exam
This is classic cognitive performance anxiety. It's good that you have revised since believing that you are prepared (as much as is reasonably possible) will help to contain some of the anxiety. Keep revising!

Having had the "trauma" from the last exams, you are now alerted to it happening again and you are accumulating anticipatory anxiety. It fools your mind into believing that the past will determine the future.

What we don't know is what background beliefs are in conflict here and are contributing to your panic - over and above the exams. For example, you could have claustrophobia which is now latching onto the exam situations (when you feel anxious, you feel like you need to leave, which is not helpful when you have an exam to finish).

It could be all about the exam, of course. When you can focus on the process and not on the outcome (or the consequences), you will downgrade your panic. The new process now requires you to think in the "here and now", the present, dealing with each moment's demands. Your breathing technique will help this focus and it's important that you can master it. It requires practise, but it will lower your anxiety symptoms.

http://www.clinicalhypnotherapy-cardiff.co.uk/breathing-techniques/
Original post by Anonymous
To cut a long story short I had two exams last week and I ended up completely freaking out in both of them and had to be taken out as I was panicking so much. I have another exam on Wednesday and I'm just terrified that it's going to happen again. It's not that I haven't revised or anything it's just that when I get in the exam it completely overwhelms me and I can't stop myself from panicking. Does anyone have any tips on how I can get over this because I don't want to end up failing all of my exams because of it :frown: Thanks.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I used to experience the same thing, through all of my GCSE's I kept having panic attacks and taken out of them! However, what I did find to help was, if you talk to someone maybe being in a smaller venue could help, it can make it feel less overwhelming, sometimes being in a familiar classroom or something can help too. I have also found that taking stress balls can help or something to kind of help you focus on or calm down. I also used to take these pastilles, they're called rescue remedy which are just pastille which contain all natural things that can just help to calm down and you just suck or chew on them and helps you focus on that instead. I've also found that if they let you, turning up to your exam early and being seated can help as you can calm down for a few minutes before everything goes on! I'm not sure if any of this is helpful but good luck xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending